Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

New Boat for the family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which boat would you get for a inexperienced family?
2013 Malibu MBX 22 Demo with 400+ hours on it.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2014 Nautique G23
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1

CPT_D

City: Gainesville

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: New Boat for the family Reply with quote

I am purchasing a Lake House on Lake Lanier in North Georgia and I want to get a boat for my family. I'm deathly afraid of stern drive boats so I am completely ruling them out. I have some experience behind a Malibu surfing and wake boarding, but in no way would I consider myself anything but an intermediately skilled rider. My wife and kids have almost no experience with the exception of 1 wakeboard lesson on a cable and one wake surfing lesson (my kids are 11 and 10). Additionally, both kids love to tube. My wife is a 100% novice. So now you know my background, now let me tell you my dilemma. I started looking at the big 3 in wakeboard boats (Malibu, Mastercraft, and Nautique) and from there I decided that I like the blunt nose or pickle fork boats so I narrowed my chooses down even further to the Malibu MXT 22 or 24, the Mastercraft X46, and the Nautique G23. Of the three I really like the fit and finish of the Nautique the best and the heavy hull made the rough water of Lanier much more tolerable. With that said, I have the option to buy a demo 2013 MTX22 at a killer price but the boat is solid white and has over 400 hours on it (but sold as new with full warrantee). Even with the killer price I still like the G23 better, but I have heard some horror stories of the Nautique being a gas hog, the wake being too big for beginners (even with no ballast in), and that if you are pulling someone (either surfing or wake boarding) and you drop the rider and go immediately to Neutral you will swamp the boat from going over the stern.

So with all that said, what makes most since for me and my family? We are obviously not pros but I do like to surf. Is what I'm hearing about the Nautique correct? Should I just go with the Malibu that has some (400+) hours on it because I can save some $$$?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have absolutely no problem with an all white Malibu Smile
If money isn't a big issue; go for the G23. It's probably the most comfortable wake-boat you'll find. You don't have to swamp it since you're not pro's, so you can forget about all those rumors.

I'd say go out on both with your family and you'll know what to do.
Good luck!

CPT_D

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the fuel consumption rumors?
mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent been behind either boat, but I have seen them in person at the boat show. The G series is my favorite interior layout of all the wakeboats I have seen/been in.

Like they said above, swamping should not be an issue. That falls on the driver and many many pounds of extra ballast. Just slow somewhat gradually and you should be fine.

Also, check planetnautique.com. There is tons of info on there. And you could ask many questions that G owners should be able to answer for you.
CPT_D

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info, thanks
Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lowell

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2013s were somewhat hard on gas especially if you load them down . 2014 has a new transmission and dosnt need the 550 power. Have you looked at the G21?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: