Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Two big problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yaho64

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Two big problems Reply with quote

Alright so I've been wakeboarding for 12 years but ive ALWAYS been scarred to do a flip of any kind. I really want to learn but I always get too scarred.
I'm not sure if I'm getting enough air. I've attached an image to show you how high I can get. If I need to go higher. How do I do so?
And finally I can get around on a 360 but I just can't seem to get the handle grab down. The picture is me in mid 360. Any help is appreciated! www.imgur.com/bbY1m8e
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scared, not scarred. Yet Wink
But to the point: it's about technique, not height, or a huge wake, or whatever.
If you got the basics of jumping down, learning a flip isn't that hard or intimidating. I'd recommend taking a couple lessons at a good camp or school.
You can also post a video here and we'll give some feedback and help you stick that first invert!

Wakeboarder3780
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wausau

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have enough height to do inverts? Yes.

Everyone has their recommended first invert. I recommend the tantrum. You can start by trying them without being scary at all (this is why i recommend them). Slow the boat down to the point where you would not be afraid if you fell in the water head first - go as slow as you need to. Then adjust the line length, and weight of the boat to clean up your approach wake and let the other wake wash out (you will need to add more weight to the side you are jumping from)

Cut in at the wake and drop the handle about 5' out so you dont have to worry about the line. Focus on really hitting the wake hard and standing tall, and right as you go up the wake, turn the board straight foward (called squaring up to the wake) so the heelside edge of your board catches on the top of the wake and it will trip you into the flip.

If you are going slow, you are no longer afraid to fall.
If you have no line, there is nothing to stop your rotation.

There quite literally is nothing left to fear. Do this until you can actually start flipping around. Then worry about adding the line in later. As you get more confident you will cut in harder and stomp the wake harder which will result in you getting more air and more time to rotate.

If you post a video up here I can help you learn the tantrum safely and tell you what you're doing wrong. I have an entire non-scary progression to learning the trick.

As for your 360, you are struggling with the handle pass because you are letting your arm get completely stretched out. Look at that picture. You're arm is straight. This is a big no-no. Even when you are cutting in for your 360, get your arms bent at a 90 elbows in to your ribs. Pop. Then with BOTH hands still on the handle PULL the handle to your rear hip - THEN pass.

In other words, keep your elbows bent from the start so you have less to pull, make sure you focus on a good pop, and THEN a good strong pull with BOTH hands BEFORE you try to pass.

The handle pass is hard for a reason. It's all about setting yourself up for success. You come in straight arms on your approach - you're screwed. Once you fix that, then you can still screw up if you try to pull with one arm, or try to pull too early - make sure you pop first. There are all sorts of stumbling blocks along the way, all minor things that you have to know and consistently do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: