Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Ballast in an outboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevelb19

PostPosted: May 03, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Ballast in an outboard Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have a 17' outboard bowrider and i'm looking to get a bigger wake than what i currently have. I've been looking into fat sacs but my boat has a 1000 lb weight limit so i'm not really sure on how much weight to get and how much to put in the bow and how much in the back. any help will be appreciated, thank you!
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: May 04, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring a god bunch of people on board and move 'm around, and play with trim, to find best set up. Then change people out for some weight in sacs, et voila!
mseller
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Charleston

PostPosted: May 05, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with FlyZone CR. Test out w/ people first and i'd go ahead and ignore that weight limit. I'm assuming 2 400 lbs in the rear and a 250 in the bow tho would be a decent setup.
stevelb19

PostPosted: May 05, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking about 400lbs in the back and 150 in the front so that I still have room for some people in the boat. and as for the trim, this motor doesn't really trim up much without the prop coming out of the water. it's a 150 merc black max
fusion134

City: Greenville

PostPosted: May 09, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 17.5 I/O with a 165hp. We always rode a lot of weight. 300lbs up front, 400 in the ski well (center of the boat) and a fat cooler 400 in the back. If you put 800 in the back and only 150 up front you are going to plow water and not make a really nice wake. More weight up front in my boat gives me a steeper wake (could just be my hull shape though. I have an 1200 weight limit in my boat and we have had more than that before people, just be really careful turning around. No power turns!

A lot of outboards have a transom near the water. Make sure you weight more front if this is the case.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: