Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Cant get up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pepowdylan

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Cant get up Reply with quote

I am being pulled behind a regular I/O and cant seem to be pulled up. I keep falling forward. Can anyone give me advice on why I am falling forward?

Also, whats the best way to get the board on from an I/O
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most beginners do one of two things. Either they "plow" the water with their board and the handle gets ripped out of their hands or they stand up too quickly and fall over the front on their face. It sounds like the second scenario is happening to you.

Keep in mind that getting up on a wakeboard is a gradual process. Remember, the boat takes a few seconds to get up to speed and get up on plane. So that means that it takes a few seconds for the wakeboarder to do the same. Slow, smooth, and steady is the key.

I teach getting up in three steps.

Step 1: Get into starting position behind the boat - both hands on the handle, knuckles up, knees bent, arms straight, with the bottom of the board level and facing the back of the boat.
Step 2: As the boat begins to move forward, allow the board to sink underneath you. Your body will rock into an upright position. But you should still stay squatted down in a position similar to that of a baseball catcher. Let the boat do the work and fight the impulse to pull your arms in or pull yourself up.
Step 3: SLOWLY stand up, keeping your arms straightened and your weight back on the line. Move the handle over to your lead hip. If you find yourself unable to stay in the center of the wake and always cut out on your heelside, it usually means you're keeping the handle in front of your stomach. Emphasize really getting it out in front of your hip.
Here's a short video from the guys at learnwake.com

http://www.learnwake.com/videos/getting-up-normal-bo-burton-front/

As for the I/O, if you have a decent sized swim platform it should be no problem putting on the board and then hopping into the water. Remember to always go off to the left or the right away from the stern drive and the prop. If your IO doesn't have a swim platform, you may be limited to putting your board on in the water.

Hope this helps. Welcome to wb.com Cool

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
get_sum
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay in a ball when "trying" to get up. The reason I say "try" is because, well DON'T try to get up. Just stay in your ball with arms out in front of you. As the boat speeds up, it will pull you up onto plane. AFTER and only AFTER you are up on plane, then just simply stand up.

As far as putting a board on. just get in the water and put it on. If you want to try a different way. sit on the edge of the transom and make sure your feet are wet and that the boots are wet, then slide one foot in at a time. OH A BIG BTW, MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS OFF!!!

pepowdylan

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got alittle disappointed when I couldn't get up this weekend! I'm not gonna give up though.
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember the #1 rule...have fun. Very Happy

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
Wheeler
Criminal
Criminal

City: Decatur, AL

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, getting up on a wakeboard requires much less throttle than skinging. Go slow on the throttle.
Baltfrog
Addict
Addict

City: Baltimore

PostPosted: May 01, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my lady was having problems and read something that said to focus on keeping your head back while you are curled up in a ball as get sum described. I think its mostly mental but it tends to stop you from leaning forward and trying to pull yourself up.
jmlloyd
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 01, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice I got when starting was....... When you think you need to stand up, count to 3. This may help you keep from getting up too early and falling forward.
fd2blk
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 05, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your are falling forward then you are pulling yourself up instead of letting the boat pull you up. Try to not "Pull" just keep yourself in a "Ball and let the boat pull you on plain and then just stand up and turn. Once you turn if the board feels like it is sliding all over the place get more weight on your front foot then enjoy the ride.
pepowdylan

PostPosted: May 06, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got up perfectly by the end of the weekend! It's like riding a bike. Thanks for all the help
rumbo

City: Reading

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cant get up Reply with quote

pepowdylan wrote:
I am being pulled behind a regular I/O and cant seem to be pulled up. I keep falling forward. Can anyone give me advice on why I am falling forward?

Also, whats the best way to get the board on from an I/O
rumbo

City: Reading

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found using a round tube is best do not attach it just sit in it hold the rope put your board on top of water and start untill you are up to speed, the tube rolls up and leave it behind
jsperr

City: South Jersey

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Getting up! Reply with quote

I'm new also and at 50 years old decided I wanted to try wake boarding. Like it was said above I was dragged through, plowing water on my first two trips out with the rope ripped out of my hands, more like being water boarded. The next week I bought my own board and bindings and got up. What an awesome feeling. The best advice that I got was "as you start moving bring you butt down toward the board and try to stand up". This really helped me. I can't help but smile as I remember my first few face plants, sort of like the scene in "Tommy Boy" when Chris gets hit in the face with the board.

This forum is a great source of info thanks to all the veterans sharing their experience.
CPGrandelli
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube.com Search how to get up on a wakeboard. Gurantee if you watch and listen you will be up in no time. Good Luck!
2012 Hyperlite State 134
BabygumpWakeboarder

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, just like jsperr, I too was plowing the water last year, never got up and almost ripped my arms out of their sockets. It was wild and I was thinking "how can anyone overcome this pull?", then I read to stay squatted and allow the vehicle to pull roll you up. One thing I told my son, which helped me as well, was to simply stay squatted for a few minutes even after you are "up" then finally stand up after we were up to speed. I recommend purchasing "Detention 2012 From Beginner to super advanced", it is funny and really beneficial full of instructions.
FredFD313

City: Glasgow

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys

I am a member of a team of post-grad designers and engineers who are developing a mechanical device to help to train noobies on dryland, so that they can develop their launch and standing techniques.

We are currently gathering research, asking those who wakeboard (at every level - including trainers) about their wakeboarding experiences. If you have two mins, it would be awesome if you would fill in this questionnaire so that we can learn about your experiences.

Your information is anonymised and we will only keep your answers for the duration of our project.

Here's the link, any information would be great:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xHjTBRB954vnvDYtesmicZJ2I9YShPJ0X0BYC75UUtI/viewform

Fred
Bahr888

City: Trinity

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Small or big fins for newbie heavy guy Reply with quote

I have a gator 145 with quad moulded fins and .75 center fins and was able to get up, I then changed to 1.75 center fins and couldn't get up for nothing..... Board didn't want to slide like before ! The reason I put bigger fins on , is due to the board feeling loose .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: