Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Austin/Corpus Christi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Austin/Corpus Christi Reply with quote

I know Austin has been covered quite a bit in the past, but...
I will be in Austin next month for work, so I have decided to bring my kite gear and head down to CC after.

Looking for recommendations on food, bars, things to do in both places. I will be traveling by myself other than a couple meetings and meeting up with a couple other guys kiteboarding.

I am also thinking about stopping in San Antonio for a day on the way down to CC, so I am open to ideas there as well.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been to CC much. Normally I am a Port A person. I have seen some kiteboarding in port A.

If you do port A. Fins is a good place to eat. Castaways is also pretty good. Someone did just open a BBQ place in Port A near castaways that was great.

In San Antonio the riverwalk is where everyone goes but I would ask around about the Peal beer plant that was turned into some type of new hangout.

Windypoint in Austin was a kiteboard place but with lake travis being so low now I am not sure anyone is out on travis doing any kiteboarding.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Chad H
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster,
Since you brought it up.. How is the Port Arthur area? I just applied for a job there last week.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad H, port arthur is a bit rough. you couldn't pay me to live in the triangle.

matt1808, k-dub lives in cc - i sent him a link to this thread.

for reference, flix means port aransas, not port arthur. port aransas is pretty cool. might not be awesome beach weather by then, but probably good wind.

how long are you going to be in austin? where are you staying?

don't wast your time on san antonio. unless you like history and want to check out the alamo and missions. it's totally worthwhile if you dig that stuff.
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09,
The general demographics on wikipedia told me that might be the case.

Any other cities around there worth a damn?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope. you could give most of east texas to louisiana and it wouldn't bother me one bit. there's nothing worth a damn east of the houston ship channel.
matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, haven't booked anything yet, but planning to stay downtown Austin. I will be in Austin 3 days, Wed.-Fri.

not really into historical sites.

flixmaster, depending on the wind I may end up in Port A. I will have to look those up if I am over there. Definitely looking to get some good seafood while I am there.
K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corpus is Kite Board central.
Packery Channel seems to be the place most guys kite in the surf, although be very aware of the surfers in the water there. It can get very crowded there and when you add a few dozen kites zipping by a few feet away from the surfers it can get pretty rowdy. Seen many a boxing match between the Kiteboarders and surfers there. You can Kite any where between Corpus and Port A and have the whole beach to yourself though.
If flat water is more your thing, Laguna Madre between Flour Bluff and the Island is always full of Kites too. Tons of them out this after noon, as it was super windy today.

Bars and eats, I would check out Doc's, Snoopy's or Scuttlebutt's if you are into the seafood thing. All kinds of killer mexican food down here, have yet to find a bad one.
Mikel Mays is a new bar that opened on Bob Hall pier that is pretty cool. Live music on the weekends and the beach crowd hangs in there quite a bit. The pelican Lounge is pretty good on the weekends also.
Several bars down town to go to, but its a bit of a drive from the island area and the crowds can get kinda ghetto on the weekends. Aria lounge has a cool vibe and out door patio bar on the roof that is chill.

Need any more info about Corpus I didnt touch on, let me know

Flix mentioned some cool places to eat in port a. If you are into a bit of night life, port a is not the place to be unless its spring break which just ended last week thank god!
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely hit up some delicious bbq. my suggestions, in order:
http://www.tmbbq.com/joints/john-mueller-meat-co/
http://www.tmbbq.com/joints/micklethwait-craft-meats-2/
http://www.tmbbq.com/joints/freedmens/

all are w/i a $5 cab ride from most hotels downtown. john mueller's my favorite. get a beef rib, sausage and baked squash - those are the 3 big hitters, but brisket and turkey are excellent as well. get there by 11.

south congress has all the good food you could want - hopdoddy burgers, homeslice pizza, guerro's mexican, perla's seafood, magnolia for breakfast, bunch of food trailers, great people watching. http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/sxsw-top-10-places-eat-south-congress

rainey street is the new cool happy hour and young w/ disposable income go. good eats, good bars, can be a little crowded, but if you aren't driving and parking it's a lot less pain in the arse. http://www.raineystbars.com/

dirty 6th is old school 6th street (6th between i35 and congress). it's mostly younger/rougher/trashier now, but there's no reason not to cruise down there just to check it out if you want.

west 6th is good as well (6th between guadalupe and lamar). brew exchange, kung-fu saloon, dogwood, 219, j-blacks. j-blacks and 219 have pretty good food w/ nice happy hours. little more professional/less hipster crowd than rainey, but still fairly interchangeable.

breakfast tacos: http://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/11/07/best-breakfast-tacos-austin-tx

jog town lake: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g30196-d184131-Reviews-Lady_Bird_Lake_Hike_and_Bike_Trail-Austin_Texas.html
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster wrote:
In San Antonio the riverwalk is where everyone goes but I would ask around about the Peal beer plant that was turned into some type of new hangout.

Agreed with the Pearl brewery area. Riverwalk is definitely overhyped.
http://atpearl.com/
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad H wrote:
jt09,

Beaumont actually has some really smoking hot women. there is one street with 4 bars on it called Crocket. If you still wakeboard, the SetEx crew is a great crew to get to know and ride with.

That said, the place is a stuff hole. You can only polish a turd so much. I don't know if I would live there, but visiting for wakeboarding is fine. If the job is good and good money, take it for a while. After all, Houston is only an hour and a half away.

ohsix

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
Chad H wrote:
jt09,

Beaumont actually has some really smoking hot women. there is one street with 4 bars on it called Crocket. If you still wakeboard, the SetEx crew is a great crew to get to know and ride with.

That said, the place is a stuff hole. You can only polish a turd so much. I don't know if I would live there, but visiting for wakeboarding is fine. If the job is good and good money, take it for a while. After all, Houston is only an hour and a half away.

There are some hot women from Beaumont, but I still agree with jt09 that it should be part of Louisiana. In my experience, there is a disproportionate number of shitty people in far east Texas.
matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks K-dub and JT!
K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For kiting, if you want surf, you can get it anywhere. Its all mushburgers anyway, so one place is no better than the rest for the kite. There are a couple places that lend only slightly better consistency. Leave that for the surfers.

For flats, hit the laguna. There is a custom board maker who makes carbon fiber boards who has a house over on the laguna. Give him a shout and go demo some boards. He has an epic launch setup. Jerry - brokite.com his number is on his site.

If you want to go ride with the local hotshots, go past the carrier over the bridge toward port A to Wildcat. I think the conditions suck there, but it has a cool place for others to watch you show off. its where the OGs first started riding. I avoid it like the plague. Boulders line the shore and its 6" to 12" deep depending on the tide. gets kinda douchey...

For food, I like Water Street Oyster Bar.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you make it out to Corpus?

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was supposed to be down there this past weekend, but things got pushed back. I will be down next week now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: