Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Formula 1 coming to Austin!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang it - i think i had read about ricciardo, but it hasn't sunk in. hadn't seen the one about fred leaving big red. their silly season is so much better than nascar or any other sport's.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What channel does F1 usually air on?

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBC is airing some F1 now I believe. Could be on NBC sports channel instead of the local network, not sure.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbc sports. qualifying on saturday, race on sunday. the euro races are usually on at ~7am live and replay ~11 or noon. haven't seen any of the asian races this year. next up is singapore on 9/22, so no clue on time.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
dang it - i think i had read about ricciardo, but it hasn't sunk in. hadn't seen the one about fred leaving big red. their silly season is so much better than nascar or any other sport's.

Yeah for sure, the only thing that really compares is European soccer. It's really odd to me that you announce you are going to play/race for your rivals next year in the middle of the season... or for Mario Goetze, a couple of weeks before the champions league final against your future team.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singapore is a night race so it looks like it will start around 7 or 8 am eastern. usually on nbcsn for the live broadcast. i usually dvr the races in asia and watch them when i wake up sunday morning. it's nice to watch a race in less than an hour once you fast forward through the commercials.

at least in f1, they make their driver transfers quickly most of the time. soccer transfer windows are the worst because of how long it takes to get moves done. it's two months of will he or won't he move. in f1 they have to get to work on the cars so the drivers get settled quick if they're moving.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went and saw rush last night. if you're into F1 or cars or babes or just like good movies, you should check it out.

also, f hamilton. and vettel. i like webber though.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw rush last week and thought it was pretty damn good myself.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

second usgp went off w/o a hitch. i was out there for qualifying, but watched the race from my couch. no great pics.
htownbdr
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you stay for the Ferrari Challenge on Sunday? Full of win.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stayed for ferrari challenge, but watched it from the rv lot behind the back straight while drinking heavily and socializing, so this is about all i ever saw:

good pics start here on shaggy (copy/paste to go to where the pics start): http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/64321-Austin-TX-F1-USGP-!-!?p=5992318#post5992318

some quikie vids i took of the f1 rides:

t2 red bull

t2 ferrari

t16

STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice. we had weather here on sunday so nbc's coverage of the race was bad. by the time i had my streaming setup connected the ferraris were out of it, and i had kinda lost interest. sounds like i need to get down to austin for the gp in the next few years.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on down man. the weather was unreal - to the point of being too hot, actually. hottest 11/17 in history or something like that (90 degrees). personally, i love that you can wear shorts and a short sleeved shirt to an event like that and not have to carry heavy clothing. next year is scheduled for early nov right now, but rumor is it may get moved to late oct and abu dhabi will be the last race instead of brazil.

more kickass pics from a friend of mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordanfiveoh/sets/72157637839494004/
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the second year in a row. My only beef was with no fanvisions to rent this year. It was a bitch to get a radio feed to stream the commentary during qualifying/practice. I ended up signing up for a free trial of sirius internet and streamed the BBC commentary from my phone. Even then it was a couple of laps behind the live action. A local radio station (either am or fm) needs to own the rights to this so I don't have to worry about my cell phone's data connection/battery life in the future.

Good race though. Some good driving by some of the young guys (Grosjean, Hulkenberg, Bottas, and of course Vettel)
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bottas was a beast all weekend and the russian kid driving for kimi was nails too.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, Kovalainen (No idea how to spell it and I'm not going to look it up) is another Fin like Kimi. He did great in practice/qualifiers, not so good in the race. Can't really blame him though considering he found out he was racing on Monday and had to borrow Kimi's racing underwear in practice.

"I've done everything I can to step into his shoes for this weekend and I've even worn his fireproof underwear. I hope it was washed,

https://twitter.com/H_Kovalainen/status/401550024900739072/photo/1

I'm interested to see who Lotus fill that seat with next year. Please not Maldonado
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'll be someone young/cheap. i think they still owe kimi's salary for the second half of the season.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought it was the whole $15m? either way, how does lotus pull a legit driver after this year? and is grosjean getting paid but kimi isn't?

i went down a wiki/f1 wormhole 2 weeks or so ago and the history of the teams is fascinating. who owned the team, what engines they've run, drivers of course - just a lot of good old fashioned drama.

bueno - thanks. i hadn't paid attention to who the replacement was before heading out and seeing KOV all day, i couldn't figure out who the heck it was. just assumed russian on KOV alone.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no idea. i haven't been following it that closely. it looks like there are still 7 seats open for next season and some big names haven't been confirmed to have rides, grosjean, di resta, and perez to name a few.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I've been down that rabbit hole once or twice.

Lotus won't be able to sign another top tier guy like Kimi, they need a young up and comer. They were able to get Kimi b/c he was away from the sport for a couple of years.

The way I understand it is, Grosjean's primary contract with Lotus doesn't necessarily pay him (at least not very much)... his seat is paid for by his major sponsor, Total (the French oil company) who also supports the Lotus team. At least I think this was the case last year, this/next may be a different story. Kimi was on contract direct with Lotus.

It's fairly common for a driver's seat to be paid for a sponsor towards a team instead of a team paying the driver. I remember last year, Japanese driver Kobayashi raised over 1 million from fans in order to find a seat in F1 this year (he was still not able to find a car).

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/11/30/kobayashi-raises-1m-fans/

Nico Hulkenberg would be a perfect fit for Lotus next year as a driver, but Pastor Maldonado is more marketable and has higher paying sponsors. My guess is Lotus will take the money from Maldonado and sign him.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STPHNSN23, I'm pretty sure Grosjean is on board for Lotus in 2014 already.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Angles Angels Pitcher C.J. Wilson's Photos From the U.S. Grand Prix
ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Los Angeles is so f*cked they're losing letters in their city name.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix wrote:
Los Angeles is so f*cked they're losing letters in their city name.

Pretty sweet pics from CJ. Saw him pitch at Wrigley over the summer. Dude was nails. Of course, it was the Cubs, so take that FWIW.

Speaking of CJ, check out this Auto-Awesome (Google+) I got of him warming up...

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 23, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silly season diagram - should help tons!

just a LITTLE wet in sau paulo during practice

STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any of you texans get to the race last weekend? my gf asked if we could go next year. "i thought about getting you tickets this year for your birthday, but then you started talking about going out east." Laughing i think i've got a keeper.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went to qualifying on sat and had a blast. they have the porsche cup and ferrari challenge qualy on sat as well. getting in and out can be a challenge, but if you're coming from out of town, take a shuttle from downtown and don't worry about it. the venue gets plenty of [completely warranted] grief on the way they market/prepare for the other races, but they go all in for the f1 race.

if i was a race fan living in the us, i'd put it on my list of events to go to, for sure. great venue, great event, great town to visit, and not that you can always count on it, but the weather has been fantastic all 3 years. hell, you might get lucky like last year and you can hit a ut football game as well.
htownbdr
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT09 - I meant to text you but got distracted. Looks like we were there on different days though as I had to take off Saturday for the Baylor game in Waco.

Great races Sunday with the exception of the Ferrari Challenge. The whole thing was under caution. Nothing like watching really rich guys destroy $350k cars. Only downside I came away with is I miss the sound of the F-1's. Not even close to the same.

Still definitely worth going and checking it out if you are even mildly into racing. Ticket sales are pretty steep at first but tend to calm down the week before the race. I would recommend turn 15, 1 and 12...in that order. You want at least halfway up in the stands as well. Or, if you feel like going baller style, the suites at 13/14 are perfect. Lot of action there.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here htown. thought about pinging you, but was all over the place.

watched porsche qual from t15, s19

watched f1 q1 from rv lot along the straightaway - they build a big ass 2nd story platform to watch and it's great.

watched f1 q3 and the ferraris from t15, very top of s25 - buddy is a psl w/ a wheelchair, so we were up on the platform and have the best vantage point - can see t1/t2, bit of the esses (just the tops of the cars), and everything from t12-t16, plus the big screen right in front next to the bridge.

watched the porsches from the psl tent in-between t12/t15 where all the crashes were.
---------------------------------------------------------------

i was gifted my tix, but if i were buying and didn't have a ton to spend, i'd go w/ ga and wander. when i go for the wec/tudor races, i like to watch the start at t1, then move over to the esses, then across the bridges and over to t15. of course, you can do that w/ reserved seats as well.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info, guys. i've been to two or three USGPs when they were here in indy, but i don't think i was even driving age then. sounds like it's a great weekend to see austin too.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went on fri and sun this year and can't overstate what a great track and facility cota is. not going to look back at the beginning of the thread, but i remember someone bagging on the design, but every driver loves the track and it routinely makes "ultimate f1 track" designs. from where i sat at the top of t15, i had direct view of t12-t16 and that's where all of the fighting/overtaking happens - there was even a fantastic outside overtake on t16/17, which is rare and extremely difficult. but i could also see t1 down the hill to the bridge, not so much the esses, then uphill to t9 and t10 then pick them up about halfway down the back straight.

i was at the singapore grand prix last month and while it's a cool race to watch on tv, you can only see the segment you're sitting at because it's a city track - same w/ monaco, which i've also been to. i'll say it again - if you like racing at all, you should book a ticket and come visit austin for next year's race. btw - broke attendance records this year w/ just under 270k for the weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sportvideo/formulaonevideo/11449657/Who-wins-on-Martin-Brundles-ultimate-F1-circuit.html
http://lukedowding.com/my-ultimate-f1-race-curcuit/
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/daniel-ricciardos-ultimate-f1-track-looks-like-this/
http://www.formula1blog.com/f1-news/formula-1s-ultimate-circuit/
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there as well. Sat in the Main Grand Stand. The pit stops are unreal in person. It was cool to see how fast it all moves. I was out there all three days. Watched Qual from Turn 19 and FP1 & 2 from all over the track. Watched FP3 from turn 1. Good lord, that is a steep climb.

As JT said, go to the race. My buddies and I will be back next year. My only knock was that in the Main Grandstand area, there were not enough bar tenders. Very Happy Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Add To Favorites

Jump to: