Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Aspen vs Park City
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Nov 10, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Aspen vs Park City Reply with quote

I'd like to hear thoughts of the towns, from those who have been to both. I was excited to go to Aspen for a recent hockey tournament and was markedly disappointed. It seemed sterile/bland/ugh.... We came back and I continued to comment to my friends, it was a disappointment.

So we just finished a tourney in Park City and it was exactly what I wanted Aspen to be, but wasn't. Such a cool little town, great little places to eat/drink, Main St. is a experience in itself...just a fun walk. It is what a ski town should be....

I assure you, I don't think this is me being a homer...Aspen sucks... Maybe I needed a month in August with my bikes....?
finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 10, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to both towns. Park City is awesome in regards to the town itself. Not a huge fan of the mountain. I just don't care for the layout. I too wasn't impressed with Aspen the town. I haven't skied any of the four mountains, but I've seen the layouts and it seems like they (snowmass and buttermilk) would suit me better.

Btw, Dumb and Dumber was shot in Breckenridge, not Aspen.

churchy
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park City is pretty cool... The Utah drinking laws, however, don't let it live up to its potential.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finkle wrote:
Btw, Dumb and Dumber was shot in Breckenridge, not Aspen.

i don't know, lloyd. the french are assholes.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspen is posh place where people can buy fur coats and dilly dally in fancy restaurants. Just another sell-out snooty ski area. A ritzy place where only the rich and affluent can afford to live.

-Rasta Stevie

[/obscurereferencetoiconic1988skiflick]

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

churchy wrote:
Park City is pretty cool... The Utah drinking laws, however, don't let it live up to its potential.

I hear that a lot, but I just don't feel it I guess.... I found it no easier or more difficult to get a drink in Aspen vs Park City. People talk about Utah's liquor laws, but would be interested to hear what real issues people have had while in Utah that caused them difficult with said laws....

Admittedly, living here, maybe I am just use to the quirks.... I am seriously interested to hear the issues out of staters have had with the liquor laws in Utah...
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Aspen vs Park City Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
I'd like to hear thoughts of the towns, from those who have been to both. I was excited to go to Aspen for a recent hockey tournament and was markedly disappointed. It seemed sterile/bland/ugh....

can't disagree w/ this enough, but to each his own...

i've been going to aspen/snowmass/carbondale/roaring fork valley pretty much my whole life. when i hear a town described as "sterile" i think of masterplanned communities and high end stripmalls...which is the exact opposite of aspen. no franchises (well, very few - they make it next to impossible), no big signs, no new buildings. you say you want great places to eat and drink...aspen is chock full of them. you say you want a fun walk around town, and aspen is exactly that as well - the whole shopping area downtown is pedestrian only and you can walk pretty much the entire town proper no problem. it's one of my favorite places to go, and i'm pumped to be headed back over xmas/ny next month.

park city is actually on the calendar for next year when we're hoping to take a bigger group of friends w/ kids. heard nothing but great things about it. we were going this year, but got started planning too late and too many people backed out.
churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., I don't recall all of the issues, but I do know the beer AC is low. Which meant we didn't want to drink beer. We ran into issues buying hard A, but it was manageable if you planned ahead.. I think the liquor store closed early or something. This lead us to have to play beer pong with Patron.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

churchy wrote:
E.J., I don't recall all of the issues, but I do know the beer AC is low. Which meant we didn't want to drink beer. We ran into issues buying hard A, but it was manageable if you planned ahead.. I think the liquor store closed early or something. This lead us to have to play beer pong with Patron.

I agree, the liquor store thing is a bit of a pain.... Moreso the hours & being closed on Sunday, as the ability to find one. Many are open until 10:00 PM, but I do understand that being an issue. GOD KNOWS that I wish I could buy my liquor & wine in my Costco....

As far as Utah an low alcohol content in beer.... This is a good read.

http://www.cityweekly.net/utah/article-11-14573-the-32-myth.html

The 3.2 Myth

Just because it's 3.2 beer doesn't mean it's lightweight
By Randy Harward

Locals and tourists carp about Utah wuss beer all the time, but we don’t really know the score. Utah law measures alcohol content by weight (ABW), says Uinta Brewing production manager Kevin Ely, who explains that this “was the method of measuring percents of mixed dilutions, alcohol in particular, during the Prohibition Era. A lot has changed in chemistry methodology and food-science practices.”

Utah is renowned for its 3.2 percent ABW beer. But if Utah beers were measured in the same fashion as most other beers (by volume), it’s really 4.0 percent ABV beer. This percentage is just slightly less than the average alcohol content of most mainstream beers. Alcohol by weight (ABW) is 80 percent of the amount by volume (ABV).

When you measure by weight, Ely says, you’ll find 3.2 grams of alcohol in every 100 grams of beer. But since beer is a liquid, it makes more sense to measure it volumetrically (ABV). “So, in 100 milliliters of beer, there are 4 milliliters of alcohol. Internationally, that’s how alcohol is measured.”

So when putting Utah beer up against so-called “high-point beer” in other states (excepting Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado, where grocery stores only sell 3.2 beer), the difference isn’t enough to cry about. Common, big-name brews like Budweiser and Coors are only .4-.5 percent stronger, and most light beers only have about .2 percent more kick than our supposedly daintier beers. And get this: “Around the world, [weaker] beers are what people drink day in and day out,” Ely says. “If you go into a Scottish pub, there are a lot of beers that are way below 4 percent alcohol.”

English ales are commonly around 3 to 3.5 percent ABW or 3.7 to 4.4 percent ABV. In fact, the milder the beer, the more refreshing and satisfying it can be. Guinness Original/Extra Stout is 4.2 or 4.3 percent ABV in Ireland, and is adjusted to 5 percent for Americans.

Guess what else? Utah’s 3.2 limitation only applies to beer sold in bars and grocery stores. Our state liquor stores stock beer and barley wines as high as 9 percent ABW (Chimay Grand Réserve). And among Utah microbreweries, Uinta’s Labyrinth Black Ale—part of its Crooked Line catalog—registers at 13.2 percent ABV, and Epic’s Brainless on Cherries clocks in at 10.7 percent ABV. “And in a couple of months,” says Epic brewmaster Kevin Crompton, “we’ll have something even stronger.” It’s exciting because, as Crompton notes, “a few years ago, we only had a handful of breweries brewing strong beers. Now, there is [Epic], Red Rock and Uinta doing it—and I know Shades of Pale plans some high-point beers.”

Ely says there’s something to be said for the weaker brews. “We have so many 4 percent beers that are so well-brewed and so tasty,” says Ely. “All the [local] breweries do a great job. I’m really an advocate of 4 percent beers because that’s the beer you can drink the most of and still be a functioning member of society.”

Maybe someday the saying will be, “Eat, drink and be merry—you’re in Utah.”
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
I am seriously interested to hear the issues out of staters have had with the liquor laws in Utah...

I think this pretty much sums it up:

fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of interesting Utah culture...

EJ - You do have a great state as evidenced by me going out there every winter for the past few years to ski. But some of this stuff just cracks me up!!
arof
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent a lot of time in Park City.

Beer is great actually - Utah has many micro breweries and you can get some beers with very high alcohol content if you want (EJ - can you remind me what they're called - Epic or something like that?).

Anyways, it sucks that you need your passport if you're out-of-state to buy at the liquor stores and some of the people working there are really hard core about it but I've never had a problem at any of the restaurants or bars. In general, the Morman thing that is prevalent across Utah is almost completely absent from Park City.

One thing that is weird to me is last call is at like 1 AM. Not a big deal if you're aware of it beforehand, but when you show up at a bar expecting a few hours of drinking and hear "last call" two drinks in, it's a bit disappointing!

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arof wrote:
I've spent a lot of time in Park City.

Beer is great actually - Utah has many micro breweries and you can get some beers with very high alcohol content if you want (EJ - can you remind me what they're called - Epic or something like that?).

Yep, Epic is putting out some great beer, including some notably HAC offerings. I really like their Cross Fever, only 4.8 ABV. The Big Bad Baptist is raved about(10.5 ABV), but I'm not much for stouts. Maybe I'll pick one up tomorrow to give it a go anyway.

Seems like all the local brewers are filling the spectrum of alcohol content offerings, assume a lot of that is just how it works with different beer...

arof wrote:
Anyways, it sucks that you need your passport if you're out-of-state to buy at the liquor stores and some of the people working there are really hard core about it but I've never had a problem at any of the restaurants or bars. In general, the Morman thing that is prevalent across Utah is almost completely absent from Park City.

I have never even heard that before, crazy. I'll have to ask someone from the DABC, I think the law is valid picture ID. Which would be State issued, military or passport... Are you sure someone wasn't phucking with you.... Laughing If that is in fact the law, that sucks balls....

arof wrote:
One thing that is weird to me is last call is at like 1 AM. Not a big deal if you're aware of it beforehand, but when you show up at a bar expecting a few hours of drinking and hear "last call" two drinks in, it's a bit disappointing!

That one does suck....no doubt. I'm not really a party all night guy(so have no experience being cut off by a last call elsewhere), but WTF....let watering holes decide when to close up shop related to demand IMO....but what do I know.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Park City Main Street vs Downtown Aspen, Jt....

There really is no right or wrong, Aspen just wasn't what I was expecting. Maybe if I had a week with a few bikes and a few flyrods, maybe I'd feel different.... Then again, it wasn't what I would see on a bike or walk with a flyrod that I found disappointing.... Confused

We bailed on a trip to Vail this coming weekend(opted out of a hockey tournament for the Little One). Would have been interested to check out that place....

Love Jackson, love Park City, I've been to Sun Valley a few times & really enjoyed myself...but for the life of me, I can't remember what I liked about it(been 15-20 years I bet). Going back in January....I'll report back.
eich82
Addict
Addict

City: MTP

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
I'll be interested to hear what you think of Park City Main Street vs Downtown Aspen, Jt....

There really is no right or wrong, Aspen just wasn't what I was expecting. Maybe if I had a week with a few bikes and a few flyrods, maybe I'd feel different.... Then again, it wasn't what I would see on a bike or walk with a flyrod that I found disappointing.... Confused

We bailed on a trip to Vail this coming weekend(opted out of a hockey tournament for the Little One). Would have been interested to check out that place....

Love Jackson, love Park City, I've been to Sun Valley a few times & really enjoyed myself...but for the life of me, I can't remember what I liked about it(been 15-20 years I bet). Going back in January....I'll report back.

If you thought Aspen was sterile, you wouldn't like Vail. There is little character to Vail vs. most of the other ski towns. 50 years ago, Vail was a giant sheep ranch. Everything is new, and there is little "uniqueness" to it. Certainly nothing like the other ski towns that originally started out as mining towns and have been around for hundreds of years.

On the flipside, the terrain is good and the mountain is massive. A plus for some, but a pain in the ass if you're going with more novice people, or even just people who haven't been to Vail before. There are a couple spots at Vail where you almost get "stuck". For example, you're trying to move across the resort, and you keep going to the right on your way down, but somehow still end up back at the same lift as everything funnels back to the main lift. You have to really cut across to get out of those choke points (for lack of a better term).

In the end, the mountain is very good, but the town does nothing for me. Plus Vail gives off a vibe as "trying to be Aspen" which doesn't help matters...
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eich82 wrote:
If you thought Aspen was sterile, you wouldn't like Vail. There is little character to Vail vs. most of the other ski towns. 50 years ago, Vail was a giant sheep ranch. Everything is new, and there is little "uniqueness" to it. Certainly nothing like the other ski towns that originally started out as mining towns and have been around for hundreds of years.

In the end, the mountain is very good, but the town does nothing for me. Plus Vail gives off a vibe as "trying to be Aspen" which doesn't help matters...

agreed. that said, i'm lining up my trip to vail in late jan/early feb because i have a free place to stay and flights are dirt cheap right now.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
The Big Bad Baptist is raved about(10.5 ABV), but I'm not much for stouts. Maybe I'll pick one up tomorrow to give it a go anyway.

Drinking one of these now.... If you like a strong iced coffee, this is your ticket. Huge coffee flavor, thick strong coffee.

Oh....and walked into Epic, pulled a couple bottles out of the cooler, with another bottle of something lighter, paid and hit the road. Easy as it gets...
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were in Park City back in the Spring and I never even noticed the alcohol issues. EJ and arof put us on a couple of local brewery / restaraunts and they didn't seem any different than any other town I travel to. We weren't out partying at 3 am and we never hit up a liquor store, so that's why it probably never resgistered as different.

The strip clubs on the other hand are different.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add, we really enjoyed Park City more than the various CO towns we've been to. We went on the back end of Sundance so there was a whole lot going on which made it more interesting. We ate at a number of great places, enjoyed skiing the Canyons, and had an all around great time.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:

Sun Valley/Ketchum kicks tail.... Such a cool town....had a GREAT TIME this weekend.... They are HURTING FOR SNOW. Did get a little while we were there, but maybe like a foot...

Now Jackson in February, though I already know how I feel about it....
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought about this thread a couple of times when i was in aspen for 8 days right after christmas and kept thinking that park city must be nirvana, because aspen is f*ing awesome.
arof
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
arof wrote:

I have never even heard that before, crazy. I'll have to ask someone from the DABC, I think the law is valid picture ID. Which would be State issued, military or passport... Are you sure someone wasn't phucking with you.... Laughing If that is in fact the law, that sucks balls....

E.J. - they might accept out of state picture IDs, but definitely not out of country. Happened to us almost every time we went to the liquor store.

Not the same at bars though - they accepted our Ontario IDs.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is definitely an discussion we are having right now. It's more like:

Park City
Telluride
Aspen
Vail
Keystone
Sun Valley

Leaning towards Park City or Vail/Keystone as flight options from SMF are good. Like the idea of somewhere more remote like Telluride. Still might flip and just go somewhere warm though.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
this is definitely an discussion we are having right now. It's more like:

Park City
Telluride
Aspen
Vail
Keystone
Sun Valley

Leaning towards Park City or Vail/Keystone as flight options from SMF are good. Like the idea of somewhere more remote like Telluride. Still might flip and just go somewhere warm though.

Funny, we just signed on to go to Telluride. Not a bad travel hockey circuit this year if you like a ski town....

Aspen
Park City
Sun Valley
Jackson Hole
Telluride

Though I'd want warm, so if warm and remote....maybe Sayulita?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is sun valley so low on the list? next year i want to put together a guy's trip to either wolf creek or sun valley. just read great things about both.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
why is sun valley so low on the list? next year i want to put together a guy's trip to either wolf creek or sun valley. just read great things about both.
it's not really low on the list, but what EJ mentioned earlier about hurting for snow gives me some pause. I'd say Park City is actually the frontrunner at the moment due to ease of travel, but telluride is not far behind because of the interesting and remote aspect of it.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great weekend in Jackson....such a great town!

Getting dumped on, but more rain low, than snow. Warmer than I expected.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoying Telluride, great town. Rented a great house, adding to the experience.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Excluding Park City)

My ranking of the ski towns I've been to this year, not skiing/snowboarding, just hanging out in the towns.

1-Telluride
2-Jackson Hole
3-Sun Valley
4-Aspen
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk to me about snowbird in utah. good snow at xmas? good mountain for snowboarding? for learning snowboarding (daughter)? looks pretty affordable to get to, and good lodging/lift ticket packages.

edit to add: how was snow in park city at xmas? good mountain for snowboarding? for learning snowboarding (daughter)? getting there from the airport w/o rental car? need for a car in town?
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been to Park City mid/late January around the film festival and the snow was good by then. Everything was open other than the extreme bowls. It was thin in places though. I'm not sure what you would be looking at for Xmas. I've never been that early.

As far as snowboarding, it's off limits at Deer Valley and the Canyons have a lot of flats making it difficult. PCM was covered up with snowboarders and seemed fine for it.

Like all ski towns, you can take a shuttle to Park City from the airport. Once in town there is a bus system that will take you where you need to go. The setup is very similar to Breckenridge with a Main Street and side streets that everything is located on. The three mountains go from one end of town to the other end. We did have a rental and drove everywhere though.

Best snowmobiling I've ever done was about 45 minutes outside of Park City. The place was awesome.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks brew

what about cottonwoods, brighton, solitude? all those places look fairly close on the map - are they places that we could stay in park city and travel to easily? are the mountains connected corporately? will passes from work at the others (like aspen/snowmass/buttermilk)?
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a huge help on this stuff, live here....use these places in the Summer... Very Happy

Brighton/Solitude - Big Cottonwood Canyon, Alta/Snowbird - Little Cottonwood Canyon and the Park City resorts(PCMR, Canyons, Deer Valley) are all within like 1 hour and change drive. Though I believe you'd need to rent a car.

http://www.utah.com/ski/snowfall.htm

I believe the Canyons is connected with Vail, Breck, Keystone, Heavenly ect...

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/resorts/canyons.aspx
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Alta = No Snowboarding
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, you can get around to all of those places pretty easily. I've done 3 snowboard trips to Utah and always just stay in SLC. Last two trips we rented a house in Sugar House utahskicrib.com. It's a 20 minute drive to Park City (Canyons/Park City Mountain Resort). About a 20 minute drive to Brighton/Solitude and a 30-45 minute drive to Snowbird.

Park City/Canyons has long groomers and crazy nice parks. The area will be more like Aspen compared to the other locations. Brighton is really popular with snowboarders. Snowbird is awesome on a powder day. Don't waste your time with Solitude, it's literally down the street from Brighton which I like a whole lot more.

Last year I had a mountain collective pass that I used at Whistler, Snowbird, and Mammoth. You may look to picking one of those up when they go back on sale if you plan on going anywhere else they offer this year. Also, Costco in SLC sells lift tickets to Canyons and a couple of the other spots. You'd have to double check the blackout dates.

Last edited by senorbueno on Jul 22, 2014 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: