Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Has Anyone Here Built a Deck?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Has Anyone Here Built a Deck? Reply with quote

...because I want to. I know there's some old threads on here but tech and board styles have changed so much in the last few years that I think it's worth reviving in a new thread.

My plan right now is to build a wakeskate first as it seems a bit easier. I know that process pretty well from seeing others do it and think I'll learn a lot about general construction from it (plus I need a new wakeskate). Also, I won't be planning for flex, which is something I'd want to do in a wakeboard for the park but will make the skate build much easier.

A wakeboard seems like a different beast though. I've got some ideas but want to know if I'm going the right direction or not.

My plan was to build similar to a wakeskate with some modifications (not to mention the obvious rocker/shape differences). My basic plan is to lay down the shape I want with various layers of wood, press the rocker-line with epoxy and clamps to get the shape, then trim and sand it down to shape it in to the final design before glassing the whole thing. Slightly thicker wood in the center, thinner wood or some kind of stringer setup getting to the nose/tail to play with the flex properties a bit.

Once I get that all dialed-in along with a shape I like (and depending how expensive it is) I was planning to dip the rails in polyurethane for extra protection. Then of course I'd need to find a nice, flexible glass to go over the whole thing to finalize it all.

Anyone out there building their own decks or have more knowledge of the process? I think the trickiest part is going to be finding the right wood and materials. For a skate it's pretty simple, but a wakeboard is under a LOT more stress, not to mention dialing in the right materials to get a flex pattern that isn't too stiff or that doesn't just straight up snap!

I'm hoping I can get-away without steaming the board to get a good rocker shape since I have no idea where to begin setting that up.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project but I'm afraid I'm totally useless for you. Looking forward to seeing it come together and your first set on it Smile
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyZone CR, The end plan is to do a step-by-step, then write a review of my own board. I'm pretty out of practice but if I'm not too embarrassed by my riding I'll post video, haha.

I got a bunch of new tools recently from gettin' married and it's got me motivated to finally clear-out my disaster of a garage and make myself a workshop. I figure what better to keep me stoked than building some decks?
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on construction, but be sure to use Shaeffers oils. I'd not let anything else near my deck.

Info here:

mseller
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Charleston

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i almost thought you didn't get the post until I watched the video...fantastic!
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant!
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got you covered buddy, check your pms Wink. Also don't waste your time with a skate, the amount of milling isn't worth it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: