Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

What's the average spend on an engagement ring these days?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: What's the average spend on an engagement ring these days? Reply with quote

I found a thread from 2005, but just curious to hear how much people have shelled out recently or in the past for a shiny rock if you're willing to share?
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$3500. It's what i could afford at the time. Got a .75 carat with two .15 baggets on the side, all princess cut in white gold. not the biggest ring by far, but it's nice.

that was 7 years ago.

STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure she gets you your engagement watch equal to what you spend on her ring.
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZ, $125. She lost it 5 years later, so serves her right.

RIP M.H.Legge
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends are spending about $10k these days. We're in our early 30's now though, and most of us have some coin in the bank.
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I forgot to mention, its not based off of X months salary, its based off of how big her dad's ranch is.

RIP M.H.Legge
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you make.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chattwake wrote:
My friends are spending about $10k these days. We're in our early 30's now though, and most of us have some coin in the bank.

Yeah, me too... but F*** that sh**. Laughing
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontrider wrote:
Chattwake wrote:

Yeah, me too... but F*** that sh**. Laughing

X2

But really it should be tied to her level of "maintenance". My wife's ring was on the lower end of the price scale, that's another reason why I love her so.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chattwake wrote:

If I spent that much on a ring, my wife would refuse to accept it.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm no help here. I've got the early 30's thing going for me (although I think I qualify more as mid) and the coin thing (although it's in property), but I'm going on 15 years marriage. I spent $2,000 at a jewelry show because my aunt was a buyer and gave it to her in the parking lot on the way out the door. Still haven't lived that one down although it was quite the investment based on the last insurance appraisal.

Quote:
If I spent that much on a ring, my wife would refuse to accept it.

Sadly, mine would not.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully my grandfather was a jeweler, but I'd estimate my wife's ring at 2k. New ring given at 10 year anniversary was over 10k.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
churchy
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apparently I spent WAAAAYYY too much.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent $3500..........I was money I was saving for a new hunting boat Sad
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what I spent... It has been close to 11 years since I bought it, I'm still married....so I have that gong for me. I just dug up the grading report & insurance stuff(yea, slow before hockey practice) - round brilliant 1.02cts VS2 E...
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew wrote:
Still haven't lived that one down although it was quite the investment based on the last insurance appraisal.

I'm sure it's worth more now, but I don't really buy the investment angle at all. From what I hear, everyone's ring is appraised "worth" twice what they paid and would probably be bought back for about a third if you're lucky. Sounds like a good reason to charge people more for insurance. Laughing

Interesting stories though. TnR6Rida, I feel bad about the hunting boat! Sad
Corporate
Addict
Addict

City: The Cats in spanish

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

churchy wrote:

Don't worry Churchy, I've got you covered Laughing

I've nicknamed the ring "new honda accord" my theory at the time was I wanted to make sure there was never any pressure to upgrade at some point.

My wife wears a stainless steel band about 1/3 of the time but she's very low on the maintenance scale for "things".
ohsix

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you can comfortably afford. My wife's ring was about 2 month's salary at the time I bought it which was ~$15,000. My brother got engaged in college and his wife's ring was about 9 month's, part-time, Home Depot pay or ~$7,000.

Whatever you do, check bluenile.com before you buy.
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it.
churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporate wrote:
churchy wrote:

Don't worry Churchy, I've got you covered Laughing

I've nicknamed the ring "new honda accord" my theory at the time was I wanted to make sure there was never any pressure to upgrade at some point.

That was my mindset as well.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear I was in-line with some of you guys. I know that I'll never need to upgrade. I hate the whole diamond scheme and she knows it. I figured if I was going to buy her just the one, I may as well make it a great one.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Never need to upgrade"

Laughing

Talk to me at your 10-year, 15, 20, etc.

Obviously, it depends almost entirely on your place in life at the time. And there are the rare women who claim they don't want the shiny. Oh but they do, even if they don't wear it all the time...

Corporate I like the idea of a 2nd band for situations that don't call for the big guns. Especially considering what Mrs. Corporate does. That thing might do some damage. Laughing

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tball wrote:
Don't do it.

Hilarious.
I've actually found it completely fascinating hanging out in the jewellery stores and watching the whole sales process, like poor little sheep being herded in to be slaughtered. Saw one guy come in with his g/f last week and the salesperson asked him his budget... he was like, "well whatever she wants, it doesn't matter. Maybe 8K?" ...and then his g/f is like, "...yeah, that sounds good. Maybe cap it at 10K." Almost died laughing. What a great business. How much money do you have for me? Okay... here's what I can do for you. Awesome. I kind of feel sorry for those young guys in college who are spending a years Home Depot pay because they've been told by a company that's what they're "supposed to do".

Not saying it's right or wrong, as I'm sure most girls want a nice rock but it's so interesting watching couples shop! Laughing Luckily I've got her agreeing this is a huge waste of money... I'm gonna get something custom done that's not overly expensive and told her any money I save on the ring will be used to take her on a vacation.
cwbrider

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fiance mom is a jeweler and I have to laugh at the markup on jewelry it would blow your mind. With that being said her ring is appraised at and insured for $9500. Purchase price was significantly less. We didn't talk any prices initially. I picked out three rings that I really liked and then asked the price. When they ask you what do you want to spend you are essentially taking the negotiating off of the table. 20-30% off retail should be no problem.
arof
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would find out what she likes, what you what her to have and see if you are comfortable spending that much. That's what i did. I had a budget, but went a bit over because it was exactly what she wanted and for me, that was worth it.

I got my ring from a store in NYC that JRYOUNG (i think?) recommended. I didn't get an amazing deal, but i got a fair deal (everyone tells me about the great deal they got on their ring - 90% of the time, you guys included, it's bull).

I did what someone suggested - I compared their price with Blue Nile and found that i was paying about what i would have had to pay from Blue Nile.

Size and colour aren't everything - more important is light return!

ohsix

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be getting screwed, but I only buy diamonds from bluenile.com. When I was shopping for an engagement ring for my wife (obviously not my wife at the time), I went to the local, highly regarded jeweler. They had $8,000 and below diamonds, and they had $25,000 and above diamonds. I was looking for something in the 2 carat range and pretty good cut, clarity, and color, but not flawless. When they realized they didn't have what I wanted, they tried to uspsell me into the $25,000 range, when I told them that was above my price range, they started knocking off thousands and offering me a free setting. It didn't take me long to realize they had way too much profit built into their retail prices. I started researching diamonds online and found bluenile.com. You can adjust your search parameters, view GIA certificates, shop all you want and never be bothered by a pushy saleswoman. I found bluenile to be 15-20% cheaper on diamonds than my local jewelry store, and I saved 8.25% on sales tax as they are out of state. Overnight shipping is free (or included in the price of the diamond) and they offer a 100% money-back guarantee. I've made 4 large purchases from them (engagement ring, wedding band, 2nd band when our son was born, anniversary earrings) and have been completely satisfied with every purchase. This probably sounds like a sales pitch, but I have no connection to bluenile other than being a satisfied customer.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To echo what Chavez said, feel lucky if you are on band one. My wife has her engagement ring, wedding band, and then two other bands she rotates through or wears together. The engagement ring rarely leaves the house any more, because she prefers to wear the bands in some combination.

The 10 year band set me back more than the entire original setup by a lot. It is a nice ring though.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix, you're right... the retail prices are absolutely ridiculous. I've also looked at bluenile just out of curiosity on the prices and they are better, I did read a few reviews on them that some people didn't seem to get the quality diamond they expected, but honestly how many people can really tell the difference anyway especially if you aren't examining the thing. I've actually got a lady who will make whatever you want and her husband is a gemologist so I'm pretty sure no banks shall be broken. We've just been going to retail shops for ideas and will customize accordingly, that way she gets exactly what she wants and it doesn't cost a fortune. I've really enjoyed the process of going in with some knowledge and watching the retail shops try to rape me or convince me to buy "x" like they tried to upsell ohsix. You should have seen one lady's face when I asked her about diamond alternatives... she looked at me like I was crazy and then tried to make me feel like an idiot for even asking that question. Same thing with non-traditional diamond cuts. All and all it's been an interesting experience.
Canucked
Addict
Addict

City: Edmonton

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your chick needs a big ring...get a new chick.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm gonna get something custom done that's not overly expensive and told her any money I save on the ring will be used to take her on a vacation.

This is what my wife prefers, as well. We bought an off the shelf solitaire and built a custom ring guard / band to go with it. We just celebrated 18 years and she still has the same ring. We've talked about her desire to have another or update hers, and she does want to look at updating in a couple years to a different semi-custom design she has already picked out.

Wheeler
Criminal
Criminal

City: Decatur, AL

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canucked wrote:
If your chick needs a big ring...get a new chick.

I agree, never did buy an engagement ring, going on 20 years married.
K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is wearing my late mother's ring that my father gave her when they got engaged....
cost my Dad some money at the time but a ton of sentimental value now. Not a clue what it was worth then or now
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, i forgot to throw in the wedding band was my grandmothers wedding band.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not remember what I spent but I did have a connection to a wholesale guy. I bought a 2.5ct stone plus the band has some ct's also. I recommend not buying from a retailer if you can. Retail on diamonds is some serious crazy business. Find the specs you want and start shopping around. Bluenile is the shop that all the local stores cry about so I would start there. If anyone knows what they want I can always see if my broker has it. On a side note my wife never asked for any type of ring. We never went 'shopping' for a ring together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a bunch of stuff from www.whiteflash.com Great company and easy to deal with.

Whatever stone you buy, make sure it's GIA certified.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: