Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

First Time Out, First Time Up, First Two Faceplants

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rchamberlin

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: First Time Out, First Time Up, First Two Faceplants Reply with quote

I got a my first board last week (CWB Pure/Edge Bindings) and took my first shot this past weekend. I spent a lot of time last week reading about how to get up (THIS POST was a HUGE help).

So I get out there not expecting to get up for a while, but I popped right up so easily I thought maybe I just have a knack for it. I was wrong. I went out to the flats heelside and thought maybe I'd be able to do a little jump. I cut back in and hit the wake, but didn't jump at all. I just fell flat on my face.

I went back out and just rode around for a while and when the boat turned left at the end of the lake, I felt like I had no choice but to get outside of the wake, and then I couldn't keep the board in line with the boat. The board just kept turning out towards the heelside. At that point the board was almost perpendicular to the boat and the leading edge dropped in to the water. I went down on my face faster than I thought possible and my legs & the board went up behind my back. I'm almost positive I gave myself whiplash and my whole body is super-sore.

Any tips for keeping myself straight when the boat turns around? My guess is just keeping the rope to my front hip? Maybe I was letting it go towards my stomach?
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats with getting up so easily!
When the boat is going in a straight line maneuver back and forth (left/right) to learn how to control the board. It's essentially a matter of leaning a bit over your toes to go one direction, some weight over your heels to go the other. Then in the turn do the same, and stay in between the wakes, close to the prop line. Also keep looking at the boat, generally where you look is where you go.
Also tell the driver that if you happen to get swung out to the side again to slow down! A lot, if necessary. Speed up again when you come out of the turn. He can also take a wider turn to make it easier for you to stay inside the wakes.

pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rchamberlin, nice work. Another way to keep the board from sliding out like that is to make sur you hold the rope handle against your front hip while you ride. Straight arming the rope with oth hands like you are waterskiing pulls you sideways like that. Another thing you can do is let go with your trailing hand and just hold on with your leading hand (closest one to the boat) when you get in trouble on hard turns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: