Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Life long shredder finding his wakeboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrir5150

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Life long shredder finding his wakeboard Reply with quote

What's up shredders,

I'm new to the wakeboard world but very familiar with the extreme sports world. Snowboarding is my main sport and X-game jumps our my niche.

I'm back in FL now and I'm getting into wakeboarding. With a malibu Moomba 07 sitting at the dock I figured it's time to pick up a board and bindings of my own. Hoping y'all can help me out with getting a good set up since I know more about the dirt, snow, and concrete world.

Basically, I'm 6'1" weighing in at 170 pounds. Built to shred and def gonna throw it down hard. Currently throwing 180s over the wake and I've got all my grabs. After my first day of trying backflips I'm starting to stick them, haven't landed it though.

I know I want a 3-stage rocker but thinking a hybrid with continuos rocker might be the best route since I'm still getting used to landings those massive airs on a flat surface rather than a decline. Besides for that I'm thinking something a little short like a 138 or possibly smaller, I love to tweak my grabs!

Not familiar with brands or models or anything really, I've got some cash to drop on it and would prefer the EST binding set up (track bindings). Could I get some suggestions? Kind of leaning towards Ronix and liquid force but don't know much about them.

Also need some recommendations for bindings. Def want closed toe so I can mold it to my feet. Black, white, and red are my favorite colors but quality over aesthetics any day of the week. And since I'm going to be tweaking a lot of grabs I'm guessing a softer binding would be good.

Thanks for the suggestions shredders!
Keep on flying high.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some basics:

Board size: http://www.evo.com/how-to-choose-a-wakeboard-and-wakeboard-size-chart.aspx#Length

Rocker is really a personal preference thing. If you're boosting in to the flats, a hybrid will probably treat you a little better on landings. Talk to your local shop or friends and see if you can demo a couple before you buy.

Brands: Anything from Liquid Force, Hyperlite, Ronix, Byerly, or Slinghshot (and arguably CWB) will be solid and a quality product. I believe Slingshot is the only company that offers the track system right now although the other companies experiment with them from time to time and you can probably find a model in their lines that have it. Slinghot is known for their flex boards and really bringing that tech to the market in a big way so that might be fun and comfortable for a snowboarder like you. Hyperlite and Liquid Force have been the dominant brands in the sport for a while and they've got huge lines, something for every rider. Ronix, while a somewhat "newer" company gets rave reviews but their line is a little smaller with more advanced decks.

As far as the bindings themselves, Ronix all the way. You can ask almost anyone and that's the most common answer you'll get. They really stepped up the binding game when they hit the scene and the other companies are still somewhat playing catch-up IMO.

Also take in to consideration if you're going to be at the cable park/hitting rails a lot or not much. Most boards these days can handle the occasional rail or trip to the park but there are also extra-durable options if you plan on riding that stuff a lot.

You're also really fortunate to have Performance Ski & Surf shop nearby. They're experts in the sport. Swing by their shop (just opened a big new place recently!) and they should be able to answer any and all questions you have. It's a legendary shop within the sport.
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrir5150,
I agree with Gnar, the big question will be if you plan on riding cable. If you do you'll want to get something that can be used behind the boat and at the park. if you ever want to hit up the cable park sometime let me know, I'd be more then happy to show you the ropes at OWC.
Fenrir5150

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yea!
Thanks for the info bros. we went to OWC today and demo'd a few boards. Really thinking about going with the hyperlite marek bio 140 with some system bindings and system AJ boots.
At the same time hyperlite was all they had to offer...

I'll take your word and go with Ronix on the bindings.

And since we have a sick Malibu I'm thinking of getting two boards. One for the boat and one for the cable.

Def down to shred with you an learn the ropes bro! I used to hit some gnarly X-games rails out in snowmass CO so I'm thinking I'll be a real quick leaner. Everything I saw there I instantly knew I could at least hit with minimal damage lol. Hit me up sometime bro 727-432-0426
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stop by performance instead of the pro shop at owc, they have a much better selection.
raimie_n

City: Chesterfield

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Life long shredder finding his wakeboard Reply with quote

Fenrir5150 wrote:
...With a malibu Moomba 07 sitting at the dock...

Question Question
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

systems with AJ's = killer...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: