Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Finding a dog.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad H
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Finding a dog. Reply with quote

So I've finally got to the point where I'm saving up for a dog. Most likely a lab. The only thing is every breeder I see online is selling championship $1200 dollar labs. Am I completely wrong for thinking you can find a good pet type pedigree for around $500? Any help on where to look?
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1200 labs are typically started labs. Normal price (around here anyway) is $300-$500 for a pup from a good pedigree.

And why do you need one from a championship pedigree? Will it be a hunting dog? If not, why not just find a full blooded lab for free or cheap?
pyrocasto

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would love to have a dog, and a lab at that, but I have to figure out my allergies to do it.

I agree with TnR6Rida, unless you want a championship breeder for a certain reason, there are many to be found for free or cheap.

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without sounding like Im pissing in your Cherios, I would consider rethinking the jump into the "asswhip-spiral" of pet ownership.

I feel obligated to say it because I wish someone would have said it to me\my wife, and some of our friends.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't need a purebred, why not just get puppy from the pound?

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is looking online searching is ONLY producing results with championship breeders.

I would recommend putting out the word on Facebook to network your search. Call some vet clinics in your area and see which breeders they recommend.

I can understand Jason's point of view. When you travel, you have to plan for your animal. When you leave the house, you have to return within a certain amount of time to let then out/feed them/water them/exercise them. I don't think people should have dogs until they have a house with a yard, especially large dogs. You will be more settled in your life by the time you have a house. For example, you won't be going out all the time. Having time for an animal is probably the most important pay of the decision to have one.

Chad H

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mainly saying how everywhere i look is a championship pedigree. Not something I want, I'm more interested in having a pet. As far as purebred over pound puppy, it's all personal preference. I figure if I'm going to have some for 10+ years, I might as well make sure it what I want.

As for the pets are big ownership, this I know. Previously my roommates dog has been here, which was great because he took care of her and all I did was feed and walk her a few weekends when he went out of town. With him graduating and moving out, we've been talking about getting a dog since we've all always had them, so It will primarily be mine, but I'll have extra help if needed to take it out etc, if i go out of town.
Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...For 10+ years...

Also not trying to piss in your cheerios. Just don't forget this part.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take the other side.

Get the dog, then you will have a little idea of what its like having children.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, if we could only give the neighbor's son $20 to let the kid out in the morning and back in in the evening and give him 1 cup of food each time. Laughing

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RESCUE. RESCUE. RESCUE.

There are thousands of dogs you can adopt for a fraction of a breeder price. There are Labrador specific rescues. There's a rescue for just about every breed of dog.

Do a bit of research and dig into the not-so-popular facts about how many great dogs get put down every day because of careless breeding and irresponsible dog owners.

It's a great feeling rescuing a dog.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't second Rhawn enough.

if you want a purebred, or at least a specific breed, you can go through a rescue org as opposed to a "pound pup." i really want a boxer, so i'm going through the austin boxer rescue.

and if you want a lab, there's hundreds of them in pounds to begin w/.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw - labs are the most overbred breed out there. championship papers don't mean jack squat. my buddy was so proud of his purebread, championship lineage lab and that thing was the dumbest, most jacked up looking lab ever. great family pet, but complete failure as a lab.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the rescue idea, as well.

jt, if you aren't able to find what you're looking for, let me know. I know someone that is heavily involved with a boxer rescue here in the OKC area.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's plenty good candidates here, but i'm travelling too much right now to take in a new dog, assimilate w/ my current dog and housetrain if it's a pup (litter of 7 pups came up about 2 weeks ago and i REALLY wish i could have pulled the trigger).
eich82
Addict
Addict

City: MTP

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
tw - labs are the most overbred breed out there. championship papers don't mean jack squat. my buddy was so proud of his purebread, championship lineage lab and that thing was the dumbest, most jacked up looking lab ever. great family pet, but complete failure as a lab.

That has more to do with his training than his genetics. Just because your dog has championship lineage, doesn't mean that it's automatically going to be perfectly trained and well behaved. In fact, if you're talking championship lineage in terms of sporting dogs, usually you're going to have a dog that is a bit "higher strung" since it takes a lot of energy for a dog to hunt/retrieve for long periods of time. It's up to the owner to put in the time to refine the dog into what they want.

However, having a great hunting pedigree will almost always result in a dog with a predisposition for hunting/retrieving/pointing. From there you still have to put a lot of hours in on the training grounds, but for the most part it's much easier to train a dog into a great hunting dog when they have a good pedigree for it. That's not to say that mutts can't be great hunters, and trophy breeds can't be crappy hunters, but trophy pedigrees will provide you with a dog who has the proper characteristics to make it likely that you'll have a good field dog. (Sort of like horse racing... Two Derby winners being bred won't guarantee another derby winner, but you will certainly be more likely to have a championship horse than breeding a couple of hags on their way to the glue factory)

Again all that said, if you want a pet, you probably DON'T want a trophy lineage as you're paying for something you don't need, and could end up with a dog with a disposition much different than what you want.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with rescue, and given my experiences I wouldn't get a purebred.

This is basically my experience with purebred:

Pay $$$$ to get the dog
Pay $$$$$$$ to maintain the dog's health
Pay $$$ at the end of the dog's life in a futile effort to improve the situation

Right now I have a lab/collie mix mutt, and a purebred champions-in-lineage english springer spaniel. The mutt has NEVER, not once, been to the vet for anything but shots (and the accompanying checkup) - and she is 12 years old this year. The springer, in a nod to his english "heritage", is like an old MG with lucas electrics - constantly having issues and costing me $$$$.

My mom had 2 go within a year of each other recently. One, a purebred shelty just up and croaked with no warning. The other, a purebred goldie ended up with cancer in her throat.

In the past we've had a few other mutts and purebreds (including a very tempermental dalmatian) and the mutts ALWAYS were the easier to deal with, better demeanor, and longest lasting dogs. I'm not getting another dog for a while after mine are gone, but when we do, it will be from a rescue and of random mixed breed.

PS: eich is dead on about the champion sporting dogs being high strung. My springer was a handful and a half until he was 8 or so. And he is still higher-strung considering he is about to hit 13.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 years ago I picked up a Pure Bred AKC registered GoldenDoodle, with Breeding rights, spayed for $75.00 from EARTH Adoption. Dog came with pictures of the parents from the Breeder as well as a receipt for $1500 that the previous owner paid 6 weeks earlier for the dog. Turns out she couldn't have a dog in her apartment so had to put it up for adoption.

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eich82 wrote:
That has more to do with his training than his genetics. Just because your dog has championship lineage, doesn't mean that it's automatically going to be perfectly trained and well behaved.

uh, no. the dog was borderline retarded and didn't look like a purebred lab in the slightest. there's a huge difference between a stupid dog and an untrained one. if you looked at this dog, you'd spend 15 minutes trying to figure out what the other breed was.

labs get inbred because so many people are trying to breed them.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
eich82 wrote:
That has more to do with his training than his genetics. Just because your dog has championship lineage, doesn't mean that it's automatically going to be perfectly trained and well behaved.

uh, no. the dog was borderline retarded and didn't look like a purebred lab in the slightest. there's a huge difference between a stupid dog and an untrained one. if you looked at this dog, you'd spend 15 minutes trying to figure out what the other breed was.

labs get inbred because so many people are trying to breed them.

Then your buddy is an idiot for buying it.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TnR6Rida wrote:

couldn't tell when it was a puppy - looked like every other black lab puppy ever.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest PIA dog I ever owned was a purebreed. Stupider than a box of rocks.
ChrisG
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Brentwood, CA

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I put down a deposit on a fox red labrador. Here's a picture of the Mom.

stellarose.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  81.96 KB
 Viewed:  13330 Time(s)

TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
TnR6Rida wrote:

couldn't tell when it was a puppy - looked like every other black lab puppy ever.

Just grew up ugly Laughing
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TnR6Rida wrote:
Just grew up ugly Laughing

yup
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with what chavez wrote. Here is my new rescue, a border collie/??? mix, she's really awesome. She keeps the squirrels tree'd at all times - that's her self appointed duty. Unfortunately, we got her to replace my 11 y.o. female eskimo that has terminal bladder cancer. Crying or Very sad

roxy.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  55.61 KB
 Viewed:  13287 Time(s)

RIP M.H.Legge
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up with pure bred hunting dogs, bred by my dad to the championship level, labs and chesapeakes. Get a small dog, I know they are "gay," but for no other reason then that they poop and pee smaller. My unsolicited opinion.
Chad H

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I find a better alternative the day after posting this. The usda apparently trains detector dogs about an hour down the road from here. They seem to get rid of the ones who can't quite cut it. Should this be a warning sign? Or maybe not since they are trying to do a specialized skill?
http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelterid=GA619

It seems a lot of these have either worked as detection dogs and are retired, or weren't able to.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd have to think that would be an awesome choice. dog should be incredibly well trained - just to get accepted into those types of programs, they have to meet some fairly high standards. just because they aren't great at finding bombs or fruit or cocaine doesn't mean they won't be well trained as a pet.
Chad H

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09,
My thoughts as well. Filled out the application. They also don't charge an adoption fee.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Chesapeakes too during your search. That's what I have, and love her.
Chad H

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TnR6Rida,
Looked a bit for them yesterday. They don't seem to be quite that common, but I'll keep a heads up.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad H, Yes, they are a little less common. Great dogs though if you can find a litter. I bred mine once. I live in west TN, and I had people drive from Montana, New Jersey, Alabama, and Minnesota just to get one.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went the purebred route as well. Picked up a championship line English Mastiff for about $3k (not including the the airfare to have him brought in) that we wanted to show and breed. At 8 months he started having joint issues which killed that idea. He is literally the stupidest dog I've ever had and the vet bills have been ridiculous. Next time, we're going with a mutt or just sticking with fish.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gf found her dog on the railroad tracks while commuting. Not sure what he is, though he is fairly small and definitely not the lab or sheppard type she had in mind. That said, he is probably one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met.

I'm a fan of the rescue/mix. Lots of good dogs without homes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: