Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Just a quick help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Just a quick help Reply with quote

Hello.
First of all, forgive me about the bad english, mine is not good. Hope you can understand me.

I just found this Forum now. This is amazing. A lot of good tips. I read a lot of toppics asking for helping on getting higher jumps. I am needing some help at the same toppic because my jumps are really, really low. I can't get big airs.

In fact, I've been reading a lot these days about how to improve jumps. I know it is not about speed.
I made a short video of my jump. Could you please take a look?

After reading all the stuff I could read, I realize that maybe I need to stand up more. What do you think about? What about the edge?

Any help will be really helpfull. Thanks a lot.

get_sum
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your absorbing just about all of the pop with your knees. Stand tall at the crest of the wake and "push" off of it.

Last edited by get_sum on Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah what get_sum said. Though he probably meant to say "Stand tall at the crest of the wake" instead of what his auto-correct telephone made of it Wink
Your edge is really nice, it's just the standing tall you're not doing where you hit the wake. You want to leave the wake, and all through the jump, as tall as you can. Push your hips forward, push the handle down towards your hips/belly. In the air you want your whole body to be straight up, straight as a candle (kaarsrecht, if you're dutch. Are you dutch?). Don't bend your knees, don't 'suck up' the board towards your body! Then land with knees bent.
Good luck!

hans

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha, I was trying to understand the Stadium, haha.. Actually, I was in German last month, but I am from Brazil.
Yeah, this is what I thought, but I am having difficulties with the right time to stand. I need to get it.

About speed, will it only help me on getting more distance? And should I get lower while edging to stock energy?
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you do looks really good except for the "standing tall" part. Right now you don't need more speed or anything, you just need to stand up straight just as your board reaches the bottom of the wake. If you do it right, you will feel the wake give you an extra little kick up.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing that is going to help is a harder edge. 2 ways I see for you to do this:

1. Look at your board as you approach the wake-none of the edge near your front foot (your left foot) is in the water at all. Work on trying to use the entire edge of the board (from tip to tip) when you edge to the wake. You won't be able to use it all, but you're barely using half of it right now.

2. Increase your edge by 100% more when you hit the foam on the water before you get to the bottom part of the wake. So go from what you're doing right now when you hit the foam to edging TWICE as hard until you are in the air.

hans

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet575, is this what you mean? That I should try to hit the wake with the second angle?

Thanks everybody.

pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans, no-I mean the opposite. Your edge should be harder (or with a greater angle) than the edge in #1 and you should be using the entire edge at the point you are going up the wake for takeoff.

As for "using the entire edge" let me try to say it a different way:

If you were going to try to cut something large with a knife (like a steak or slice a piece of bread off of a loaf) in the smoothest and most efficient, how would you do it? Would you use only a small portion of the knife's cutting edge? Or would you use as much of the entire length of the knife blade as possible? The answer is that you would lay as much of the knife's cutting edge as flat as you could so that you could make a few movements with the knife to cut all the way through. You would not put the tip of the knife way up in the air and saw like hell until you got through.

Now think about your wakeboard's heelside edge (the edge you are using in your video to cut through the water) and think about it like a knife. Are you going to generate more energy by lifting the frontside (the tip to the left of your left foot) way up in the air like you have it, or by using as much of that heelside edge as you can to cut the water? The answer is that want as much of the heelside edge in the water as possible. In order to do that, you've got to work on keeping your weight more balanced on both feet as you cut in toward the wake.

Standing tall has to be done with equal weight on both feet to get as much of the heelside edge in the water as you can.

See the guy in this pic? He is "standing tall" when you think about standing tall in relation to the board. Don't think of "standing tall" as you needing to stand up away from the water. Look how much of his heelside edge is in the water.

Now compare your heelside edge in your video. You can see that the area between your feet on your heelside edge is not in the water. That is a lot of energy you are losing.

hans

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, got it!

But actually I was trying to understand the #1 advice you gave me, when you say "Work on trying to use the entire edge of the board (from tip to tip) when you edge to the wake". Is that what you meant?

BTW, very nice explanation from everybody.
hans

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: 1st day following the tips Reply with quote

Today I tried new jumps with the tips you gave me.
Definitely a did some higher jumps Razz Razz !
I have one pic shot from Iphone of the landing time. Will keep working on this and hope to post a good video soon.

Thank you all

FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: