Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

FDA
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: FDA Reply with quote

I'm just getting more disgusted every day. The FDA claims they're an organization that is in operation to protect the people and ensure safety and health in the things we ingest. Yet, more and more, they seem to be selling out to corporations, lobbyists, etc. From fighting against the labeling of foods so we know what's really in them, to adding or looking to add substances to our foods that we may not want to ingest or have been proven unsafe without telling us, to former executives of companies like Monsanto in key leadership positions, I doubt more and more every day that they are doing anything that is in the best interest of American citizens. Pay attention folks and do some research. Demand of your representatives to support legislation that forces the proper labeling of foods and keeps harmful substances out of our foods.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im confused, you want more regulation regarding food labeling and zero regulation on guns right? In spite of the thoroughly regulated food industry as it exists today... Rolling Eyes
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not called F@(& the Dumb Americans for nothing
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know what is in my food and I don't want the government deciding adding harmful substances without my knowledge is best for me and none of my business.

Gun rights is completely different.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, no kidding.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you think the federal government should force private businesses to disclose what is in their products? Do you believe the federal government has this power? Even for intrastate products? Do you interpret "among the states" as meaning among the citizens of the states? If so, that is interesting that you would add the citizens to that clause.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to know what's in your food, grow it or shoot it. I agree with you on the issue though. I was doing some research a while back on organic food/juicing/eating better and it's pretty disturbing when you really start looking at what's in our food supply now.

This is an interesting site and has several links off of it that are good. Someone may have posted it on here before.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

We are moving towards buying completely organic from local farms. We basically go to the grocery store primarily to buy junk more than anything, but that is getting cut back more and more. We also try and support the restaraunts that buy local although it's hard in our area.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith, actually, I'd prefer it was done completely voluntary, but that probably won't happen. As a first alternative, I'd like seeing it done more at a local/state level rather than Federal. I don't think the Federal government has the power to dictate anything regarding our food and it lends itself to corruption, which is exactly what we are seeing. The FDA was established as an entity that was supposed to use tax dollars to protect the citizens, correct? Either it actually needs to do that or we need to get rid of it. Allowing the substances being allowed into foods, without citizens being aware isn't cutting it. Hiring executives from Monsanto, as an example, to be in key leadership positions goes against the stated goal of the FDA, does it not?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew, agreed 100%. We're slowly heading that direction. One concern that is still there is the GMO's and how they are creeping into the seeds and grains, as well. If I can't buy non-GMO seeds to grow my own garden, I'm in the same boat. If I can't get non-GMO feed for animals, again, same problem.

Good link!

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
jgriffith, actually, I'd prefer it was done completely voluntary, but that probably won't happen. As a first alternative, I'd like seeing it done more at a local/state level rather than Federal. I don't think the Federal government has the power to dictate anything regarding our food and it lends itself to corruption, which is exactly what we are seeing. The FDA was established as an entity that was supposed to use tax dollars to protect the citizens, correct? Either it actually needs to do that or we need to get rid of it. Allowing the substances being allowed into foods, without citizens being aware isn't cutting it. Hiring executives from Monsanto, as an example, to be in key leadership positions goes against the stated goal of the FDA, does it not?

I agree, I think it should be handled at the local/state level. That is why I would never seek more legislation at the federal level.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew, we try to buy local and organic as well. In the future, I would like to grow my own.

Have yall scene Food Inc.?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith wrote:
Okie Boarder wrote:

I agree, I think it should be handled at the local/state level. That is why I would never seek more legislation at the federal level.

I may not have made that clear the way I said it originally. I wasn't talking about the federal level when I was talking about supporting legislation.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith wrote:
brew, we try to buy local and organic as well. In the future, I would like to grow my own.

Have yall scene Food Inc.?

Why aren't you growing your own now?

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My yard in my last house wasn't really suitable (i have never heard of the square foot gardening that you use), I tried a little with indoor growing but didn't really like it that much. We just moved and live in a condo with no yard for now. We plan on buying a house with an acre or so as soon as we decide where we want to live.

I would like to build a green house and grow year round.

Last edited by jgriffith on Mar 01, 2013 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing/planting season doesn't line up very well with my work schedule or we would grow more. We're going to plant some blueberry bushes down a fence row and then we always put some things out in pots. I was planning to build some planters this year, but as usual I have no time right now to mess with it.

We participate in a couple of crop share programs with local farmers, so they keep me pretty stocked up every week.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith, I'm sure you've looked at it already, but if you haven't you can do quite a bit of container and porch type areas and get quite creative if you really want to grow.

brew, I've got a couple friends that do that as well. Seems like a good alternative.

I'm hoping our garden does a little better this year with more sun. Also, we should get a bit more yield since I have a few more boxes than last year.

eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) The US food supply is the safest in the world.

2.) All food in the US have a full ingredients listing.

3.) Organic/natural labeled foods are just in large part marketing gimmicks

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
1.) The US food supply is the safest in the world.

True, but that isn't exactly the highest bar to clear. We could do much better. Additionally, safe doesn't necessarily imply good. We process the chit out of food and make it "safe" but that doesn't necessarily mean it's safe to eat in the long term. Unfortunately the Government has subsidized the commodities and the companies have in turn further processed foods so the cheapest of food, isn't really food at all.

Quote:
2.) All food in the US have a full ingredients listing.

If you see a word with an x,z, and y it's probably not that good for you.

Quote:
3.) Organic/natural labeled foods are just in large part marketing gimmicks

Natural yes, organic no. Buying organic is the best way to ensure you are not getting GMOs. Organic has a minimum standard so long as the Government doesn't alter them.

Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why you need to know the labeling practices, organic covers GMO, not that I'm overtly concerned about that. Having gone mostly paleo (5-6 days a week) it's easy to avoid these concerns.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fda-twinkies.jpeg

Description:
 Filesize:  43.14 KB
 Viewed:  7651 Time(s)

eeven73

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, drinking raw milk is incredibly dangerous.

I can't belive people have a problem with pastuerization. Half a dozen kids died in Portland last year after drinking raw milk.

Frankly its almost as stupid as not immunizing your kids.

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against pasteurization, it just kind of ironic where we see regulation in our food supply. Why is it the organic farmer that has to pay so they can put an organic label on their food while they farmer that sprays toxic pesticides and herbicides does not?

On the immunization front, why do kinds need to be vaccinated against Hep B? Are they going to be doing heroin or having unprotected sex?

Both are on the same theme, there are some absurd rules that have come out of some originally prudent thoughts.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:

I can't belive people have a problem with pastuerization. Half a dozen kids died in Portland last year after drinking raw milk.

I dunno, I know a lot of people that grew up on farms and drank raw milk. I also know a lot of people that swear by raw milk and they've had no problems.

Half a dozen out of how many died?

eeven73

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Half a dozen out of how many died?

What percentage is acceptable Confused

Quote:
I dunno, I know a lot of people that grew up on farms and drank raw milk.

Yeah and probably rolled around in cow stuff all the time. Meaning, they had a hell of an immune system. Unlike the kids with helicopter moms who Purell anything they touch.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your point, but I think it is a bit of a rash statement to treat raw milk as a killer. Anything we ingest in our body can kill us. Much of what our government has deemed "safe" is killing us...it is just doing it slowly.
Tracktor
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Vancouver, WA

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:

Portland Oregon? If so, please post link. I live just north of PDX and never heard anything about this?
We selectively vaccinate/immunize so I guess we are stupid! We should just follow what the government says with no research on our own like good little sheep...........
eeven73

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2012/04/more_people_stricken_with_e_co.html

Here is link to initial reporting of incident. 19 ill 4 hositalized. I will have to dig more as memory tells me there were fatalities with situation.

Yes anyone who doesnt immunize there children is an idiot. I have actually had a woman try and tell me we can cure all the diseases that vaccines prevent, but we cant cure autism. Really, there is a cure for Polio. Interesting.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, because it's the vaccinations that have rid us of disease. Just like the chart shows...oh wait...what?

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, are you trying to say we should ban raw milk? I think if people want to drink raw milk, it should be their choice and I don't think the government should be telling them they can't.
eeven73

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those graphs have "Death Rate" on the vertical axis not "Infection Rate".

Maybe, and I am just spitballing here that decrease in "Death Rate" might have something to do with other medical advances.

Any other outstanding evidence against vaccination Rolling Eyes .

Raw Milk is banned in a number of locations. If we lived in a society where everyone was accountable for their decisions I would say no. However, when, the royal WE, are on the hook for the medical expenses to save the kids who WILL get sick, I say yes.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly my point. People think vaccinations have saved us from death and you're trying to associate raw milk drinking to death in the same way. In nearly every case, vaccinations haven't had a drastic impact.

So you're saying that since you're forced to foot the bill for medical costs, you should be able to dictate what these raw milk drinkers are doing with their own bodies?

eeven73

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So you're saying that since you're forced to foot the bill for medical costs, you should be able to dictate what these raw milk drinkers are doing with their own bodies?

Read this 5 times and tell me what you think.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your answer is yes, which seems inconsistent to me. IIRC you're a person that is against people that want to ban abortion using the same reasoning as you're using for banning raw milk.
eeven73

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider my views libertarian with a healthy dose of fiscal conservatism.

Frankly, I could give a stuff if people drink raw milk. It is only banned from commerce. Lots of people get around that with Co-Op owning of cows to access raw milk. I do however think it is proven to be a risky product to consume. With that information I wouldn't give it to my kids.

I am against a ban on abortion, and you know it isn't a linear comparison.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm against a ban on anything that infringes on people's freedom and that's the issue I have with your stance here. I agree it's not linear, but there are some big similarities. Libertarianism is about leaving people alone and letting them choose. Banning things does not promote that idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Add To Favorites

Jump to: