Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

New truck. Audio advice, pls k thx.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: New truck. Audio advice, pls k thx. Reply with quote

After 10 years and 170k miles, I traded in my 03 GMC 1500HD for a 13 Tacoma, mostly due to gas mileage. Overall, very happy. It needs a new bedmat because I hate the hard plastic, slippery surface that's back there. Biggest issue, however, is lack of satellite radio. I'm an XM junkie. Pandora is great but not what I want.

Should I get one of those cig lighter stalks or just go all-in and get a new dash system put in from a local audio shop? Pretty sure the xm part will work fine either way, but not sure if having an extra thing with wires hanging out of my dash is worth the cost savings of not going in with some cash and having it integrated fully.

Success stories out there? Most of you are probably as old as me and not really into the car audio thing too much....advice? Word.

Last edited by tball on Mar 02, 2013 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit...pics removed; bad format.

Last edited by tball on Mar 02, 2013 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the truck has bluetooth and you have a smartphone since you were talking about pandora. XM has a app for smartphones that you could try.

http://shop.siriusxm.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/CategoryHome.vm&ctl_nbr=10600&catParentID=49763

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, love the Bluetooth radio. I actually have the SiriusXM app for my portable devices, but unless things have changed recently, it doesn't have ESPN, Radio Classics (flame on), or any of the baseball broadcasts. For straight music, it's pretty good (even though it's a lot of data and relies on good signals, which I don't always have).
Chad H
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tball,
Judging by the first picture I take it you're in the southern hemisphere?
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad H, Tennessee actually. Unseasonably cold and snowy; should be our last cold blast (I hope). Damn Canadians and their jet stream. Mr. Green
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that truck have an auxiliary (3.5mm) input? If so you could probably do a much cleaner install with a xm add on system and have something you could take with you.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing doesn't have an option for Sirius/XM? Seems odd that it wouldn't.

Anyhow, if it were mine I'd want something permanent install. But it's not, so the question is can you deal with a separate unit on a dock mount?

If yes, I actually have a full on gooseneck and dock setup somewhere in my garage for a SkyFi2 unit. I am likely never going to use it again, so if you are interested I'd send it your way for a beer or two and shipping cost.

If you are like me and would want it integrated, I'd look in to an OEM integration setup like this: http://www.neocaraudio.com/cars/2013_TOYOTA_TACOMA/STX3V5

It's pricey, but I'd go insane in a brand new vehicle that I had to rig something up to work.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tball,
did not realize you were that close, i was mainly making a joke about it being upside down. everyone knows that everything is upside down in the southern hemisphere
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave1, it does have 3.5mm and that's exactly what I ended up doing. I bought the XM Onyx car gadget ($79) and installed it...not exactly sleek but works great and I'm still happy with the factory phone/radio interface (plus my steering wheel buttons still work). The ability to move the unit between cars is what sealed the deal.

chavez, this was my first Tacoma purchase (or Toyota for that matter). I was honestly surprised you can even buy a stereo that isn't satellite ready these days. They only offer the XM compatible stereo in one option package that includes nav and other upgraded stuff. It wasn't worth it to me to jump up to that package (I went in looking for a 2WD 4cyl; ended up buying a TRD 4WD sport package so I wasn't completely loyal to my original intent). Anyway, thanks for offering to donate your gear...pretty inexpensive to get the new stuff I needed. I'll get the first round if we find ourselves in the same bar someday.

Anyway, loving the truck and am happy with the portable XM install I did, even though I need to spend some more time wiring the DC power behind the dash to get the ginormous cig lighter adapter out of the way.

taco.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  110.52 KB
 Viewed:  3644 Time(s)

onyx install.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  109.22 KB
 Viewed:  3644 Time(s)

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2009 Tacoma TRD Sport. I have almost 80,000 miles on it and it runs like a champ. Congrats on the new rig.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of gas mileage do you get in those Tacoma's? Could you tow a boat with one?

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using an add on Sirius unit for the last 7-8 years. I took it in to Best Buy and had them actually mount it and wire it in direct so the only thing you see on mine is the unit at the bottom of the dash. It has been moved to 3 vehicles and I used it in the boat when I had a mount in there as well. The only problem I have with this setup is that I spend a lot of time on the road and you have to move from station to station when you drive through somewhere using the frequency you have your car radio set to. Other than that, it has worked great.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I average 19 - 20 mpg. It's not bad. It all depends on how hard I drive it. If you get the tow package, you have a 6000lb capacity. You can tow most boats with it, though I would not want to tow too far.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only problem I have with this setup is that I spend a lot of time on the road and you have to move from station to station when you drive through somewhere using the frequency you have your car radio set to.

Really? This typically means they used a transmitter instead of a modulator. The difference being the modulator actually breaks the FM antenna signal and inputs only the source you are supplying (in this case Sirius). Transmitters will always have the issue of outside interference, especially in crowded FM markets.

Anyhow, if it were me and I paid for the install, I'd be kinda unhappy they went the transmitter route vs the modulator.

For reference, this is what should have been used given your Sirius tuner is compatible:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_607FMDA25/FM-Direct-Adapter.html

It's a $20 part....

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were supposed to use the modulator, but I've never actually checked to see what was installed. I assumed the modulator just limited the interference but didn't do away with it completely. When another station comes in it creates minimal static, but it still works fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: