Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Telecommuting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisG
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Brentwood, CA

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Telecommuting Reply with quote

With the recent announcement from Yahoo's CEO that everyone must report to a Yahoo office starting June 1st, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. Also, how many of you actually work from home.

I've been telecommuting for about 10 years now and can honestly say it's been a huge plus for my family and I, being able to avoid the commute and having a better work/life balance. I realize it's not for everyone and every work function, and does require discipline. Working from home is definitely a privilege and not a right.

With all that said, I don't agree with Marissa Mayer's mandate that everyone needs to be in an office. Yahoo definitely needs a major overhaul but eliminating the ability to telecommute is not the right way. Hell, this may be a way to get people to quit rather than laying them off and paying a severance.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on your position. I speak to almost no one all day. I am a secondary level support for project teams. I work off of a list of issues. I come into the office on days that I need better performance of the program I support. Currently, i cannot work from home, but will be able to shortly. I used to work from home pretty often at my old employer. I would get more done at home, as I could not be disturbed there by people walking up with problems.
Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't but I know people who do, and their reasons are always really good ones.
-Spouse in hospice care.
-Recently divorced and have the kids.
-Company relocates but the individual can't due to family or ties to the community.
Etc

So I've always viewed it as being ok. But if all these yahoo employees are working from home just for the simple reason that they can (I haven't been following the story) then yeah they should go in to work. It will be an instant boost to productivity no matter how much they complain about it.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does anyone care where yahoo employees work from?
Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a lot of people own shares of yahoo whether they realize it or not. Owners like to know how their business is being run.

Other people like to be nosy and controlling Cool
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:

I used to work from home pretty often at my old employer. I would get more done at home, as I could not be disturbed there by people walking up with problems.

I'm in the same boat, although, truth be told, I really did get a lot more value (eyes on whiteboard explanations, etc...) that I would have missed if working at home. We worked from home pretty often at night though, which was ok with my boss! Smile My friend works for Hess, which stands for:
Holidays
Evenings
Saturdays
Sundays
(not not from home, haha)

RIP M.H.Legge
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
why does anyone care where yahoo employees work from?

Yahoo needs creativity right now to "find itself" and see if it can climb out of its hole. Creativity comes when teams get together, brainstorm and hash out ideas. Certainly some groups won't benefit as much, but the company as a whole needs to come together and come up with some ideas.

I've never been to the Yahoo workplace, but I have been to Googles when Mayer was there. I can see exactly what MM is trying to do, even if there are some short term consequences.

If it's a success, Yahoo's shareprice will rise and most employees with STFU after that. If not, there will be a bunch of "I told you sos" and Y! will continue to be the dump that it is.

ChrisG
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Brentwood, CA

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung wrote:
and Y! will continue to be the dump that it is.

Have you seen their new homepage? The only time I ever use Yahoo is for Fantasy Football. Like I said earlier, Yahoo needs to do a lot more than require their employees to come into the office. They are a few missteps away from being the new Google or Microsoft.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, i get all of that, and i agree w/ what she's doing. what i don't understand is why people seem to take this as a referendum on the american professional worker/workplace as a whole. she's didn't write an op ed in the wsj saying telecommuting is crap and everyone needs to get back in the office.
pyrocasto
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always considered yahoo to be like Kmart, and the one here is closing down. Yahoo still has a pretty strong following, but they are nowhere near being a "Google". Plus, they have the disadvantage of not being new, and they would have to win back people they already lost which seems to be more difficult. Also, they will never be a verb.

As for telecommuting, dont know anyone personally who does it so it's hard to comment. Website design, programmers, and such getting paid by the job I think would be great. Salary type positions cant see any benefit for the company by working from home, other than not paying for office space.

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been the trend in large companies for over a year, esp in technology areas. IMO, Its basically a call out of middle management. Telecommuting was spawned from the idea that since productivity metrics proved "good work" was being done and could be performed from anywhere, there was no need to require employees with indirect contact jobs to go into an office. Senior management sees a decline in quality and a stagnating ability, but not a decline in performance metrics. Middle managers manage strictly by metrics and have no idea how actual work is being done. Their value is strictly gathering metrics, putting them in pie charts and sending them up the chain. Workers learn how to game the metrics system, showing great performance with the least amount of risk/effort. Senior management realizes that performance metrics do not mean jack squat. They challenge middle management to actually manage people instead of gather metrics. Middle managers now have to get a clue about whats going on and actually manage. They cant easily do that with people sitting at home, so everyone is getting called in.

Its basically the reckoning for impersonal metrics driven business culture.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Jason_ssr, when I moved from a small company to a large company, everything went to metrics driven instead of customer based business driven. Now, metrics are supposed to be driven by customer satisfaction, but in reality, it doesn't take long to figure out how to meet metrics a lot easier than building a strong customer relationship base when you are building a small business. Like my boss / CEO used to say "people don't do what you expect, they do what you inspect". Your assessment is spot on.

RIP M.H.Legge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: