Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Woo! Officially started wakestyle!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Woo! Officially started wakestyle! Reply with quote

Well, sort of. Still haven't done anything really unhooked but went out this past Saturday and had a little "kicker" session in the waves for the first time. Kept the kite pretty low and was riding my Watson Hybrid with boots. Felt so great just popping huge indy shifty's off of waves while bolted to my board and not wearing sandals. It was pretty choppy out so i had to work HARD to stay upwind at all on the Watson but a blast. So stoked on kiting right now!
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from my dec kite trip and i cant wait to go back in march! Really started getting my boosts going and my backroll. 10 to 15feet feels so awesome right now!
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnarShredd, Thats awesome!!! Boots is the way to go. Unhooked is much easier than it sounds, so dont be afraid to unhook as you approach one of those kickers. Just realize that you arent jamming upwind when you are unhooked, your tack angle is much more mellow. Its actually very natural feeling for guys who ride behind the boat or cable. Just keep your hands in tight so you dont yank the kite by mistake. You should snag a TONA board. Best board I have ridden for wakestyle. I ride it on the cable as well. Holla and I will hook you up with the rep in your area.

I will be hitting the TX coast a ton this spring. Should come over to TX for epic conditions.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr, Thanks for the tips. I'll keep that in mind next time I get out.

I'm definitely interested in a better board. The Watson Hybrid is probably the best I'll get out of any wakeboard for kiting and it was super tiring trying to stay upwind. I probably had to cut my session in half. I've seen those TONA's before, they look awesome (the skate too, not quite there yet though). Pretty sure I saw them on the Scoop at some point. I'm kind of a big guy though at 6'4" and over 200lbs and I didn't think they'd be big enough for me.

Where abouts in Texas? Would be sick to head over that way but I'm kind of limited on vacation time this year, saving up days for my wedding/honeymoon.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 6'6" 225 and I ride the 138cm no problem. They ride bigger than they are compared to a wakeboard. Tona does have some bigger stuff in the works, though.

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr, Nice to hear there's a fellow tall, lanky bastard out there. I'm still getting used to kiteboard sizing. Seems like kiteboards in general are smaller thank wakeboards. Would be stoked to see something in like a 142 or so though.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a 142 now as well.
http://www.tonaboards.com/pop/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Kiteboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: