Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

P-tex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: P-tex Reply with quote

A family friend hooked me up with a s4 ltd with soven bindings. The deck had a nice ding in the slider base, about the size of a nickel. I was going to use epoxy to fix it up but I read that LF uses P-tex for their base material. So long story short I ordered a P-tex candle and patched it this afternoon. It turned out much better then I thought it would. It's a really easy material to work with, just don't drip any on your fingers like I did. I'll see how it holds up since I'm headed over to the cable tomorrow. I had searched on here but didn't see any threads. Is this common practice on fixing LF slider bases?
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Let us know how it holds up.
Wazzy
Addict
Addict

City: Illinois

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it would hold up good.... similar to a snowboard repair. If the drip candle doesn't hold, take it to a ski/snowboard shop & have them use an extruder gun to put p-tex back in the damaged area.

(drip candles have parafin in them to help them burn, so the material is softer. an extruder gun melts 100% p-tex sticks & will hold up better in the long run)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just got back from the park. I will agree with Wazzy, the patches seem a little softer then the regular base but not by much. It held up really good, just normal scratches. For such a easy and cheap fix I would highly recommend it. I got 4 sticks of P-tex with shipping for under $5. I only used about a 1/10th of a stick for my repairs. I threw a extra stick in my wakeboard bag (backpack with tools, fins,laces, etc). If I get a dinger or take a little chuck out of a fin I can do the repair on the fly. All that you have to do is light the candle on fire, drip in the p tex, then scrap away any excess.

On a side note I landed my first heel 7 off big white at O Dub, I'm so freaking pumped
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBadWolfe, Gratz on the 7, that's sick!!!!

Not a bad idea to add a candle to my travel kit. Never know when it'll come in handy.
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gnar! It was more luck then skill, but it gives me the confidence to keep throwing it till I get it down.
Lemmy

City: Rotterdam

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually very interesting. I've worked with it on a few snowboards with similar results, but never realised it could just as easily work on a wakeboard. Very cool!

...your warning comes a little too late for my fingers, though Wink
Wazzy
Addict
Addict

City: Illinois

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you do a repair on the fly... just make sure the board is completely dry. Otherwise you will trap in the moisture & ruin the core.

Also while the p-tex is hot take a metal scraper (for ski/snowboard repair) (or something similar) & press the warm p-tex into the damaged area. This helps the p-tex to stick & fill voids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sweet. I used p-tex when I waxed my own snowboard for the first time. Man that thing was gouged up. Sounds like a similar process, so now you know how to wax a board.
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE- I have put those patches through 4 cable trips and it is holding up just as good on the 4th trip as it did on the 1st. I am thoroughly impressed with using P-Tex to repair wakeboards. On a side note I dropped my S4 while loading it into my truck. It landed right on the bottom corner rail splitting it open. I grabbed the lighter and P -Tex candle and was all patched up in less then 5 minutes. I freaking love this stuff Mr. Green
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBadWolfe, Nice, sounds like something every cable rider should add to their board bag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: