Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Baja Islander ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flying4

City: Stephenville

PostPosted: Sep 24, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Baja Islander ? Reply with quote

Whats going on guys new to the forum very happy to be here. I need some help deciding which boat is right Im currently looking at a baja 202 Islander. I dont have much experience Wakeboarding but I do want to do it a whole lot more it would be my true first boat i have a very high mechanical aptitude. I want a goo all round boat one that does many things well ( And obviously nothing great its like every thing else compromise) Economy is pretty important as is usability. i know V drives are the way to go but im trying to avoid them for practicality reasons. Please excuse the spelling im typing this with out my glasses. any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Speed agility and ride are important to me also
flying4

PostPosted: Sep 24, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on guys i know some one has to have an opinion about it
dbismyname
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Clarksville

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're seriously considering buying a boat and this vague question is all you have then you need to do a lot more research. I really don't even see a question in your post?
flying4

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I just noticed that Damn ADD lol. In your opinion do you think that since iam not a hard core boarder that a bout like that will be better suited to do more things. and has any one tried boarding or even surfing behind a 202 ?
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot surf behind it. Do you have a particular boat you are looking at? Post a link
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first concern should be how well it holds speed in the 19-22 mph range. There are many boats that are simply not designed to be held at these speeds as they are transitioning from being off-plane to being on-plane. It will drive the operator nuts trying to hold speed in this situation.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why avoid inboards/V-drives for practical reasons? Maintenance is easier, less chance for stuff to brak compared to sterndrive/I/O's.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that boat will do better than a v-drive is go faster and pick up tan dudes wearing Tap Out t-shirts.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
rowlex
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: seattle

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got an 21.5 ft I/O. It does not throw the best wake, but if your not *serious* about wakeboarding it is decent. We do very little wakeboarding--mainly tubing and kneeboarding and it works well for it.

what i really like about it is its versatility, I can go out into the ocean and island hop. cruise at 50+. or head to the lake knee/wake/tube/etc. dont have to worry about beaching it (sterdrive up). Mine came with a huge bimini top that covers the entire boat except the bow. It also has snap in windows/canvas all around (everywhere except the bow) so if need be we can anchor and camp on the boat.

i've re-propped to a 4 blade, hole shot is o-k and holding speed at 19-22mph requires attention and near constant adjustment however it does do it. it takes time to learn how to do it well.

another cool thing about it is how big it is. I look at normal(like size) wakeboats and they look a bit cramped in comparison. mine is a deep V and feels like it has much higher gunwales then wakeboats.

best pic i could find of the wake. this is no ballast 6 or so people in the boat.
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the benefit of not getting a d-drive or v-drive? Unweighted they can run in the 40's, they will bust chop about as good as a bowrider, and the maintenance is easier. How much have you boarded before? You may buy that Baja then realize you really love wakeboarding and want to upgrade. I think you have some decisions you need to make on your own.
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Question- What is your budget?

Once we establish that, we can have the I/O vs. DD vs. V-drive debate

If the budget is within reason of buying a "wakeboat", then let me say this. I grew up on an I/O and now that I have a v-drive wakesetter, I would NEVER go back to where I came from. A couple trips on my boat, and my parents and brother in law are both considering making the switch. More storage, better seating, and these boats do ALL watersports far better than an I/O. As previously mentioned, there is also less/easier maintenance with an inboard.

The only thing that you will be missing out on that Baja is going 60mph and having exhaust that makes you sound cool. I don't need to go 60 on the water, and I'll listen to my music as loud as I want to drown out your exhaust Very Happy
flying4

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the Input. Reason i dont want a DD or a VD, is the Ability to rise the prop, The lake that iam on plays havoc on DD, VD. Dont get me wrong I would love a V drive. Ive just seen a lot of prop hits ( my gf parents have a resort and a good amount of VD's come in.
2. My Budget is going to be 20000 and under
3. Efficiency is important. I dont want to be pushing a wake around the lake when I dont have to and be burning 23gph when i dont have to.
4. how are purpose built craft in the livability area.
@rowlex what model do you have and how do you like it things you would change?
If i really get into boarding or surfing ill will deff buy a purpose built boat. and ive wakebarded a hand full of times (Noob). I Dont mind Fast and Loud ive been running 19 foot Jetboats. Those are Fast Loud & Scary lol
flying4

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-Baja-202-Islander-----17nm-101788408

shes not perefect but something around these lines
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I don't really understand your worry about the prop. Are there underlying rocks that only inboards can hit or something? Use your depth gauge and know the lake and you will be just as likely to damage an I/O as you would an inboard.

2. This budget is plenty to get a good wakeboat that will hold its value far better than any I/O out there.

3. Ballast is removable. I fill mine up when we ride (2000lbs worth), and empty when we are done so that we can cruise to wherever it is we are going (40-45mph). My boat has a 325hp 5.7L Mercruiser and we use about 19 gallons in a full day of playing. Far more efficient than any Baja I've been on.

4. Livability on a wakeboat is probably ten times better as I mentioned previously. More storage, better seating configurations, etc.

Bottom line is that you will decide what is best for you, but with the resale value holding so well on ski boats, and plummeting with your everyday I/O, you should buy a boat that you can see your self growing into. I would hate for you to buy that Baja and then 2 years later you decide you want a wakeboat.

Nothing wrong with Fast and Loud, just not my thing! Smile
rowlex
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

@rowlex what model do you have and how do you like it things you would change?

i have a 2000 bayliner 2150. I really like it, I have the $$ to pickup a more expensive wakeboat if I wanted to. Pure fact is I just do not wakeboard much, nor do the people I typically go out on the water with. Usually have more women then guys on the boat and chicks don't wakeboard. they tube.

this is where the roomieness is a factor. I can comfortably fit a lot of passengers and they can move around the boat comfortably as well.

I live in seattle(keep this in mind-our water temps are COLD), we head to the lake, or the puget sound and island hop. WOT speed is 55mph. this boat came with closed cooling so I don't have to worry about corrosion in my engine. I paid 8300$ for it (128 hrs on it). So it's cheap, it's not the nicest boat--and thats a good thing. Someone spills beer on the floor? no big deal. sand in the boat, no big deal, smoking in the boat, no problem. I feel it has plenty of storage too.

if something gets tangled or caught in the prop, i dont even have to get in the water-just move the drive up and clear whatever is there.

ive accidently beached the boat in the sand due to not paying attention to the tide. no problem shift the outdrive up no damage. beaching it in the lake i give it a little gas kill the engine pop the outdrive up and dont worry about it. anchor line to shore and done.

the maintenance costs (atleast for me) have been next to nothing. maybe i am lucky in this dept. change the outdrive fluid and motor oil every season is about all i have had to do.

and i REALLY like having a full top, not just a little bimini we can spend 12+ hours on the boat and have sun when we want and shade when we want. There are a lot of boating activities here and we have spent a lot of time on this boat (seafair, 4th of july fireworks/etc)

the snap in windows are awesome. we have camped on the boat a couple times. We put the full canvas on throw a twin size air matress inbetween the seats and enjoy the sunset.

The only thing I have considered changing is the seating. I really want wrap around seating like wakeboats. Why? Because I like how it looks. That being said I have not changed it because... This boat has some kickass seating including options & lots of room. My rear sunpad can be a sunpad, or two seats for passengers. the side seats fold down to be loungers/sleepers. Bow seating has plenty of room. and the depth (from seat to rail) makes me feel very comfortable.

some pics...

Last edited by rowlex on Sep 25, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
flying4

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why i like this forum you all have very good points. Value because af the bad resale you get more bang for your buck with the I/O. Being that V drive is the craze right now. Like i said dont get me wrong i like V Drive and DD Chris Craft That were restoring is a DD. But if by getting a I/O I get more for less iam all over that. So that leads to the next question

What are the true selling points of the VD?

Is there an I/O boat that i should be looking at?

If i add Trim Tabs to the 202 should she put out a decent wake and will that help with the on plane off plane conundrum

the 202 is very good on fuel 2500@23.0mph fuel burn is 5.6GPH
WOT 4800@56MPH burn is 18.4GPH

how do wakeboard boats do in chop?

Can you install a closed cooling system or what is the procedure to take them to salt water
flying4

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rowlex I complete agree with you about the most chicks don't wakeboard they tube and lay on the sun pad ( well at least the ones I know Laughing )
and i will say that the wrap around seating makes the boat look awesome. I Like the full top and a good idea especially being from TX. I don't care who you are the ability to raise you outdrive is an awesome feature.
rowlex
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flying4 wrote:

Is there an I/O boat that i should be looking at?

If i add Trim Tabs to the 202 should she put out a decent wake and will that help with the on plane off plane conundrum

the 202 is very good on fuel 2500@23.0mph fuel burn is 5.6GPH
WOT 4800@56MPH burn is 18.4GPH

Can you install a closed cooling system or what is the procedure to take them to salt water

here's what i noticed since i sold my last boat and picked up this 2150 (my prior boat was a smaller 1950). The sheer size of this thing makes it throw a larger wake. if your really concerned about the wake size go for something a little bigger(or a wakeboat Wink). it will naturally be heavier and throw a larger wake.

I don't know anything about trim tabs.. however the problem you describe as on-plane off plane is really not an issue-the issue is holding that speed. at 19-22 your on plane (atleast on my boat). Re-prop to a 4 blade or high 5 type prop and it becomes easier to hold speed(you could also purchase perfect pass). You will have to get use to making throttle adjustments. triming the outdrive up will make the I/O throw a larger and crisper wake. when you trim up it will slow the boat down so you have to increase throttle at the same time.

dont worry about fuel consumption, toys are expensive. the fun is worth the expense.
flying4

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about fun being expensive but i got to keep my other hobbies fueled lol. but that's a very good point about trimming the out drive up a little. I would really like to buy a wake board but but i can pick up a stupid nice bow rider that's much newer. shoot i was shopping around and all the good brands that id even consider buying were late 90's that's old i don't care how u look at it. if i look newer hell i might as well buy a fountain240 br. And IMO ( take it with a grain of salt ) what happens when you buy a 2000 ish master craft for 30K then in 2or 3 yrs the bottom falls out of the market and it completely losses its value. Ive had this happen to me on some of my oilfield rental Equipment.
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flying4 wrote:

how do wakeboard boats do in chop?
They handle it, not very smoothly but they do. Also keep in mind the deeper the V the better they handle chop.
flying4

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok is there a wakeboat that has a slightly deeper V and an I/O

and also when did master craft start putting the pickle fork
rowlex
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flying4 wrote:
I would really like to buy a wake board but but i can pick up a stupid nice bow rider that's much newer. shoot i was shopping around and all the good brands that id even consider buying were late 90's that's old i don't care how u look at it.

agree 100%. and when some chick spills a purple mikes hard lemonade on your floor...well it wont be as painful as that happening to a 20K wakeboat. (yes that stain is still there).
flying4

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you bag a Baja ?

Has anyone skied or boarded behind the 202 Islander

And im digging the High 5 Prop
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few good looking wakeboats that can be had for 20K.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is safety. When swimming around an inboard, there is ZERO chance of you hitting the prop. That is huge for us with having little ones on board.

As far as chop goes, a 21ft boat isn't going to handle chop very well regardless, but yes the I/O does have a slight advantage.

I understand your thought of getting more boat for your money now, but think of what happens when you only own it for 2-3 years and then you want to upgrade? Money lost.

And for the chick factor, wakeboats have bigger sunpads and can pull a tube better
Very Happy

And yes, you can put ballast on a baja, but you will have bags laying all over your floor. I can put 2400 lbs of ballast in my boat without losing any floor space.

rowlex, if a chick spills a purple mike hard lemonade on my floor, that was my fault for letting her drink that crap in my boat. Cool
zachb91

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got i/o and for wakeboarding it iaint bad. my buddie has a islander and the wake aint much smaller than my celebrity. now speed it will blow mine out of the water. but yeah go for it you can put sacks in them. we did then he sold it last year and didnt tell me or i would have bought it. im gettin ready to redo my interior in mine this spring. so idk if ill make it out on mine. but got a buddie with a x45 i can get anytime:)
buckthis
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, Do not buy an I/O, no way, no how!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: