Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Dogs and Cancer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Dogs and Cancer Reply with quote

Boxer with a Mast Cell Tumor. Anyone have experience?

Sounds like 1K for removal, which I am willing to pay.... But you hear the C word with an animal that is already half way through his life, you start to wonder if you are fighting an uphill battle....that you're not going to buy your way out of.

I hope that doesn't come off as crass or harsh.... I just fear 1K turns into 2K, which turns into 3K...... Confused

The vet seems to think this isn't uncommon and that prognosis is good, though that is a guesstimate..... Anyway, thought I'd ask the interweb....

Thanks....

E.J.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tough. When I was growing up one of our dogs had a tumor in his shoulder. We payed for the surgery and he came out of it well but it came back a little further down the line and there wasn't much we could do at that point since another surgery would likely give the same result and things had spread. We just decided to give him the best life we could with regular vet checkups. Once it started to slow him down and the vet made the call, we decided just to put him down. He wasn't super old, but we figured it was better than going through spending the money again and hoping it completely goes away. Plus having surgery all the time is no way to live.
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no..... I'm sorry to hear that, E.J. Crying or Very sad

I don't have any experience dealing with the Big C. If it was me, I'd have to do it and take my chances. Well, I guess I'd want to know a few things first. Primarily, how quickly will the tumor return/grow again if the removal is not successful? Is the tumor painful for the dog?

Knowing you, you'll do what's best for the dog.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all painful, I can push and pull at it. It doesn't even look bad... Looks like a little fatty lump, 'bout the size of a jordan almond....

With the bosses approval(she is at work and so we'll talk when she gets home), I think we'll just move ahead with surgery(it is scheduled) and see where we end up. He's such a great dog, I wonder what we'd do without him....let alone what Kane would think...

Kane - "Wow....cool, thanks for bringing me a friend home."

Kane - "Where'd you take my friend...?"

Tried to get a good feel for long term prognosis, but pretty much got a "We think this is the best route, but chances are that he will develop more lumps, because Boxers are tumor making machines." There is some worry about where the tumor is and having the ability to get a good margins around it on removal.....

I don't know, I just worry that this is going to blow up on me...... PHUCK I have bad luck with dogs.... Hell, this is a stinking rescue....we just got him like 18 months ago....
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ask me about animals and medical bills, I'm a total sucker.

Totally loaded

coricluster

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about your pup..i have a pitbull that is 11 years old and at the age of 8 he had a huge mast cell on his lower jaw..had it cut out at a vet and in less than a week it was back.

so step 2 was to take him to a surgeon and have his JAW taken out from his k9 to where it hinges on his skull. so basically he would only have a hinge on one side. i was very torn up as it was my first dog and i love him to death.

so it was a no brainer, i did it, the surgery was 2200 bucks and the doctors said that they have a take it out and as long as they get good margins on both sides it should be gone. so i did it and its 3 years later and he is sitting on my couch next to me as i speak. i would spend all my money to keep my dog alive. so if he is close to you then spend the money. its better than not having him around anymore

chesapeake veterinary hospital in annapolis md is where i took my dog. they are great.
coricluster

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ if you want anymore info...hit me up. call or text me 443 497 0063.

it was a painful experience for both me and my dog but worth it. i can answer alotta questions for ya if u need me to.. take care
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., Sorry E.J. Sad

How old is your dog? I can probably PM you some answers...
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, to be clear. Now that I have my own dog who's relatively young and if the vet was positive about it, I'd definitely pay for the surgery. He's too much a part of my life to not give it a try.

Had a scare last year with something similar and had to weigh the options myself for a week or so before a follow-up vet visit. Fortunately the lump just turned out to be a gland infection that cleared up with antibiotics.
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could shop the price? My dog recently was diagnosed with TCC bladder cancer (she's 10). I'd spend whatever, but it's inoperable so we're basically enjoying her remaining time 3-6 mo. Treatments at our local vet in the city were $250 a pop, but the vet near our country place was like $85 (he's an awesome vet too!) There is often a large variance between prices, at least here in Texas. Best of luck to you!

RIP M.H.Legge
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our oldest had an issue a few years back and we got it taken care of. She's 14 now and doing pretty good. Our experience isn't specific to boxers, but I do know that removing the growth seems to have taken care of the problem.
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's your dog doing, E.J.?
b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd dish out for the surgery as well. Personally, I think it's worth a try. I spent a couple grand fixing my rabbit's foot... had a dog before that we spent a few thousand on surgery to have a growth removed from her neck (benign tumor that weighed 5lbs!), so know that if I had a dog again and was faced with that decision, I'd give it a shot.

Please do let us know how it's doing!!
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's good as gold....though nothing has changed. Surgery is scheduled for the 16th of the month.

We are going to get a second opinion. I still worry about the comments that it is in a difficult place and because of that, they worry about the ability to get good margins.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear E.J.! We will hope for the best for your pup.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mom had to send her goldie to the permanent sleep this morning. She had some sort of cancerous growth in her throat and it finally got to the point where she couldn't eat anymore. Stepdad took her to the lake one last time this morning then off to the vet.

RIP Bella

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: