Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Need Some Help Picking Out A Snowboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Need Some Help Picking Out A Snowboard Reply with quote

Ok, so basically I know nothing at all about snowboards. I don't know what size I need or anything at all. I'm currently riding some POS my dad got at a yard sale. Laughing

I don't know if it matters, but I'm 5 10' and around 180lbs. I like to do pretty much everything, jumps, some rails/boxes, and just ride all over.

I'm looking to spend around $250, and would like to pick up a good used board possible with bindings. They boots I have are fine.

So what do you recommend.

And if anyone on here is selling a good board let me know.
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Burton and would strongly suggest getting one. Not sure what exact size you should get, but Burton's are GREAT boards.
boarder52002
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Chicago

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get something between 155-160. You could even go a little shorter if you're just gonna ride the park with it.

Look on craig's list. I sold my old boards on there. You can get some good deals sometimes if you know what you're looking for.
LeHabanero
Addict
Addict

City: hagerstown

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aubs wrote:
I love my Burton and would strongly suggest getting one. Not sure what exact size you should get, but Burton's are GREAT boards.

whoa whoa whoa... how often do you ride though? and how hard to you ride it?

Almost everyone I know is ANTI burton, because their products tend to be shabby. they do have a replacement program (i believe) but if you intend on riding more than once a month that may cut some riding time.

I've got an atomic axum and its a tank, but i'm in serious need of an upgrade as well.

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/ has some really good deals, and they even have support on the site (though I'm sure they are just trying to make a sale.)

also check www.whiskeymilitia.com for good deals.

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had several burtons and a couple of lib techs, both have been excellent boards. I use to put on between 60-80 days a year and both were champs.

You can't go wrong with a Burton Custom, they haven't changed that board in 15 years and it is still one of the best all around boards out there, that and there are plenty of them you can probably find a good deal on a used board.

Where will you be riding? Will it be groomed most of the time (in TN I'm assuming yes)? I would look for either a freestyle or all-mountain/freeride board. With the freestyle board it will be more softer and more forgiving, you'll be less likely to catch an edge, but at high speeds it won't perform as well. With AM/Freeride it will be better att high speeds and railing down groomers/hardpack, but a little less forgiving. It's really all personal preference. I like a board I can rail on, noodles just aren't for me.

Most people are anti-burton because they are, well, Burton. It doesn't mean their quality is any worse than other boardmakers, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who know a guy who knows a guy who's board spontaneously burst into flames on a powder day. Laughing

dirtysparks
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out brociety.com, there's boards that pop up all the time. Get yourself an all mountain board if you want to do everything. If you have absolutely no idea, look at some snowboard forums and educate yourself a little. If I was to give some generic advice, then go at least 155 in something like lib tech/gnu, capita, never summer, maybe even a forum.

If you don't know what you want, then damn near anything will do...so buy the first thing you see and then upgrade in 2 months when you figure out if you actually want to put some effort into finding what you want.

There's so much different crap to look for in a snowboard:

sandwich or capped rails
various inserts for lateral strength and snap, i.e. kevlar
sidecut(hourglass) - turning radius/response
camber - ollie power, carving preference. Closely related with sidecut
base - sintered, extruded, hybrid....get a shitty base(extruded) and you won't be able to keep up, doesn't matter what wax you use.

Just go research an hour and find out what you want and what fits you. Chances are it will be over 250, but the discount sites have some dang good deals.
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out www.brociety.com, its an extension of www.whiskeymilitia.com but focused on snowboards. You should be able to score a descent setup on there.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks I'll check out all these sites.

jryoung, I'll be riding at Perfect North Slopes in Indiana. Pretty much mostly snow they make. Thats where I always go though, because my dad lives up in Cincinatti.

I found this one board that I really like the looks of Laughing , but I've been looking it up and it seems like it is geared more towards rails only?

What do you think?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy-sell-snowboard-equipment/20264-fs-153-rome-artifact-1985-rome.html
savage3221
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rome board and it is super kickass. The Rome Agent is the specific model.
NorthwestRider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Puyallup, WA

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also anti Burton, but only their boards. They make great bindings. But I just don't like them because they are Burton and I can admit that.

Check out http://www.c3-shop.com and look at Capita's FCG 155. Its a great all around board that you can do anything on. It's around $220 right now and then you can pick up a pair of Union Viper bindings for $100. C3 is where Capita, Union, and Coal sell all their left over stuff from last year. $320 for a setup like that is a steal.

www.myspace.com/algebraicsatellite
^more new songs!
www.algebraicsatellite.com/blog
My Electronic Music.
NorthwestRider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Puyallup, WA

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TnR6Rida, Probably shouldn't buy that board. It's a noodle(soft), has been broken in from last season and has rocker. This board will be VERY soft. If you're not used to this it will make going fast pretty difficult and make hitting and landing bigger jumps very difficult.

www.myspace.com/algebraicsatellite
^more new songs!
www.algebraicsatellite.com/blog
My Electronic Music.
churchy
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rock a Ride board w/ Burton bindings. They are like wakeboards. You really just have to check them out (demo) and decide for yourself. Everyone will have a different preference.

One thing I will suggest... Get one of the newer boards that have some rocker in them. They are MUCH better in the power, and I think landings may even be softer on them.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through this whole process

I went with the Lib Tech TRS board
I bought the Flow M11 bindings
and 32 Team two boots

Looking forward to testing them out in the next week or so

JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions for a bigger/taller guy with 12/13 boots? I'm 6'4" 220 and I'm on a 164 Wide now, but it's an eBay bargain basement special, so I'm looking to upgrade. I've been looking on sierrasonowboards for boards around $300 or less, but most boards over 162 are either powder boards or don't come in wide and I need atleast 260 WW. Looking for a groomer board that will still work in the park and the occasional powder run. Basically a SoCal resort board.

Last edited by JV on Dec 03, 2009 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JV, I am about the same size (6'4", 235), and I rock the Ride Yukon and dig it. But, as stated above, I would like to change to something with some rocker.
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

churchy, are you on the 164 or 168?
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my price range, I'm looking at the Burton Mayhem 164, but I'm worried about toe drag. It has a 258 WW...the board I'm on now is 266, so I'm thinking it may be too big of a change. Any thoughts on the board?

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/Burton-Mayhem-Second-Snowboards.asp

Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeHabanero - When I was in CT (This year doesn't count), I rode every other weekend. Not rails and stuff, but definitely the black diamond trails in Vermont. Dad is a ski instructor and all the snowboarding instructors at his mountain pretty much ride Burton. They have a GREAT deal with them - but they all love Burton's stuff too.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this board?

2009 Never Sumer 155 evo r
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never Summer are probably some of the best built boards out there. Hand made in Colorado by the Canaday brothers. They make custom split boards that are incredible.
JeffreyCH
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lincoln

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Research is the name of the game http://www.snowboardingforum.com/ is a good place to start. Buying a snowboard is a very confusing ordeal, but if you spend a few hours lurking around those forums it'll clear a lot of that up. You are defiantly going to want an all mountain board if you ride a bit of everything.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ended up with a Never Summer SL-R. Sick a$$ board.

Going on my snowboarding trip Sun-Wed. Can't wait.
zakmann

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sierrasnowboard.com! all last years stuff 50-70% off!

dont get a burton board, i just got one and its basicaly falling a part, stuff is cracking in the channel system,

3MileBayWaker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Syracuse, NY

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know what I was doing either and picked up one of the zumiez Alibi Sicter boards for $229, Ride EX bindings and ROME Smith boots. I'll be bringing the board back to Zumiez for a replacement after my Killington Vermot trip because the boards core is separating from the metal edge for no apparent reason. That is without any park riding and if the board survives the trip to Vermont. I would replace it before hand but don't have the time to wear some of the wax off. Puppy Eyes
2009 Liquid Force Trip 142/ 2008 CWB Answer
rudolfc

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just preferred snow boats on rent and enjoyed my time by spending few bucks. I am happy.

Lemmy

City: Rotterdam

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up with a Bataleon recently and love it to bits! It's really stepped up my game and I made awesome progress since.

Feel wise, the Triple Base comes much much closer to a wakeboard feel than my previous board and my mates stick, definitely give it a try!
get_sum
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a lower end setup from Camp Seven. A 163Wide Valdez model with System bindings and size 12 System boots. All said and done with a leash, stomp pad, and bag, shipped was $340.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: