Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Shooting RAW vs. JPEG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanssapo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Mexico

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Shooting RAW vs. JPEG Reply with quote

Besides the obvious diferences between the 2 formats (RAW being better for post-production, editing and sizes) is there any other one that tells me why should I shoot in RAW or JPEG format??
JoeyJojo
Addict
Addict

City: Central Mississippi

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, it really depends on what I am shooting. If I am just firing away on action, party, etc. I always go with JPEG. Sometimes it is just easier to take an assload of shots and cull the ones you don't like.

If it is a shot that I really have to work at getting, portrait, wildlife, etc. I will shoot RAW. Nothing will piss me off more than to sloth over to, say a nest, get the shot I want and then see the color is a little off.

Addict
Addict

City: Lake Dallas

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to photography as well and I do see the beneift of RAW especially when it comes to white balance adjustments in post. However, because photography is not my only hobby I don't have a ton of time to spend tweaking 100 photos in photoshop. For that reason I have shot mostly in JPEG.

I have a set of Cactus 5 triggers on the way and plan to start doing some off camera flash portraits of my kids. For shots like that I'll shoot in RAW and spend the time to make them the best they can be, but for most everything else JPEG is fine.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why Lightroom and Aperture are so nice- both allow for 'batch editing,' so all you have to do is touch up one photo then you can copy/paste those settings to all of the similar photos. That goes for RAW and JPEG files. Also, Lightroom allows you to automatically apply certain settings to photos when they're imported into the program so that can also help reduce the time that you're spending w/ your photos.
Dante2004

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nauty wrote:
I am new to photography as well and I do see the beneift of RAW especially when it comes to white balance adjustments in post. However, because photography is not my only hobby I don't have a ton of time to spend tweaking 100 photos in photoshop. For that reason I have shot mostly in JPEG.
I have a set of Cactus 5 triggers on the way and plan to start doing some off camera flash portraits of my kids. For shots like that I'll shoot in RAW and spend the time to make them the best they can be, but for most everything else JPEG is fine.

Why would your number of shots be any different in RAW vs JPG?

Maybe try RAW+JPG mode. If it comes out perfect, you're all set. But you still have the ability to tweak the RAW.

I know some people like jpg so that they can just quickly dump their photos and upload to facebook, flickr, etc...but Lightroom (Apperature also???) allows you to upload your photos directly to several social sites even from the RAW format.

skandix

City: Flekkefjord

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i normally uses RAW+JPG when taking pictures so i have the ability to tweak it in lightroom if necessary.
But i don't see so much diffrence on using RAW.
but in the end it what you think looks good, and what your camera is capable of doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: