Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Boat Care and Maintenance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gryphon
Criminal
Criminal

City: Hamilton

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Boat Care and Maintenance Reply with quote

I have a 2011 A20 that was purchased new this year. I have a few questions about care etc. I have had a previous boat (2008 Bayliner 195) but am not that knowledgeable about boat maintenance and care etc.

The boat has been winterized and had the engine and transmission oil changed by the local shop. That is the only oil I needed to have changed? The boat is at 40 hours. The shop said to have the impeller changed next year if I am doing 40/50 hours a season.

As for cleaning, I washed the boat, then wiped the exterior with Hot Sauce. What should I do for Wax? Boat Bling or something else and if so, what type of wax is best? Should that be done now or in the spring. It is around 40 degrees here now so I am not sure if its too cold to be waxing it.

As for the vinyl, I was planning on using magic eraser with Totally Awesome to clean the seats and vinyl. After posting on the Axis site, some have advised against using magic eraser. I assume they suggest just using a rag. I also have Vinyl Sauce available. I applied 303 protectant when I purchased the boat. After cleaning the vinyl I plan to redo them again with the 303.

The swim platform seems to have become stained, what is the best for cleaning the swim platform pad? Is there an after market option if I wanted to change it?

There are some minor scuff marks on the gel coat, mostly where the bow hits the roller when loading the boat onto the trailer that I cant get out with just hot sauce and a rag. I have 3M rubbing compound, should I use that and then 3M Finesse-it after the rubbing compound or do you guys have a better suggestion?

I also have a a very small stone chip which is through the gel coat to the fiberglass I am guessing. Is that a major concern to have fixed or not a worry? It is under the boat and cant be seen otherwise.

Is there any maintenance I need to be doing with the trailer? I tow the trailer 10-20 times a summer 30 min each way.

Thanks
JRW160
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntsville

PostPosted: Nov 10, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think standard practice is engine oil every 50 hours or once a year, transmission fluid every 100 hours or once a year, and impeller once a year. Some people just keep spare impellers onboard and change them on the fly when they go out. They are cheap so just changing them every year is probably worth the effort.

Do not use magic eraser on your vinyl. Totally awesome with a nylon scrub brush should be more than enough. Hit it with some 303 protectant afterwards.

Seadek makes really nice replacement pads for the swim platform, but they are expensive. You can get them with custom logos. A friend of mine used hydroturf on his platform and it is pretty nice.

Rubbing compound then finesse it then wax should be fine for the scuff marks.

You should be able to order gelcoat to patch the spot. Probably not a big deal if you ignore it for a while.

Probably should just check the brake fluid in the trailer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: