Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Feet ripping out of bindings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy2011

City: Rochester

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Feet ripping out of bindings Reply with quote

dsf

Last edited by Billy2011 on Nov 22, 2012 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using open toe bindings? they are usually easier to slip out of during a crash due to the bindings made to fit a few more sizes hence hug your feet less as firmly.

while some may disagree with me here, i ALWAYS prefer to have my feet very firmly fitted to my bindings and never have them slip out during a crash. imagine the situations where you crash and one foot slip out while the other doesn't. the board will whip around in all directions, your one leg still in binding is very likely to get twisted in all sorts of horrible ways.

if you are planning to keep wakeboarding and start doing it more seriously, i'd highly you suggest looking into a pair of good bindings/your own board
da Liks
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep..
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ediotism. My bindings fit me tightly and I have never come out of them.

I used to a lot with the older universal bindings. Closed Toe and single size will likely completely stop this from happening.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is the opposite.

As a beginner you want to be able to release easily from the bindings as you will be bailing alot. More advanced bindings that clamp your foot in, are exactly that, MORE advanced and not designed for beginners.

Grab a pair of correctly sized, beginner bindings and get stuck in.... falling in shouldn't be a big deal in beginner boots as you should slide out pretty easy and not be hurting yourself.

What boots are you running right now?

Nukleuz

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im also a complete beginner, so also falling a lot.
I have closed toe bindings that are my own though, and only rarely get pulled out of them. And even when I do, its painless. Just loosen em up. Slip em back on. And off you go.
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Brit Rider
Sliding out of your bindings is what causes snapped ankles and other injuries. If your foot only comes out partially and you torque it just right, you'll snap your ankle like a toothpick. You absolutely never want to have your feet come out of your bindings, even if you're falling a lot.
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My closed toe bindings fit tight and my feet get ripped out on the worst of the worst falls still, doesn't hurt just strap em back down.
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Lewisville, Texas

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have open toe bindings, and I end up out of the bindings everynow and then. I know what you mean about it hurting...its killer on ankles. I have even (not sure how but I am accident prone) had my board come off my feet and then hit me lower back.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twolfcorner2009, Incorrect. I think you're way over hyping your statements there. Beginner bindings are cut low and lose for a reason. Add to that beginners are generally only coasting along at around 18mph and you'll have to try pretty hard to "snap your ankle like a toothpick". If they catch an edge its far better to slip out of the boots.

I instruct wakeboarding and have been in this industry and awfully long time, just take the advice.

Billy2011

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsf

Last edited by Billy2011 on Nov 22, 2012 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't, sounds like a pain in the ass. I would rather have my feet ripped out, because odds are I'm getting in the boat anyways if it is that hard of a fall.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy2011, It's been tried and has seen some success in the waterski market. The problems as I see it are:
- Getting the boot to clip back to the board whilst in the water.
- setting the tension of the release so it releases in a fall, but not on an aggressive ollie or lip slide. The tension would have to be so high that it would likely still hurt a little when releasing, or so low that it accidentally release once in a while.

Just me 2 cents Smile

twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He never mentioned anything about riding on beginner bindings, I prefer not to assume stuff. All of what I said comes from experience:

I ride with a buddy of mine who rides with CWB Boots (they have that stupid heel lock system). Well, he took a fall at 19 mph and landed just right so that the heel lock mech came unlocked and allowed his foot to partially exit the binding (basically just enough to where his toes were touching where the heel should have been and his ankle midway up the top). When he hit the water, he rolled and when doing so, his ankle was allowed to twist enough to where he destroyed his ankle because all of the energy of his twist was stopped on the ankle rather than being distributed throughout the entire leg and board.

That's great you've been in the industry for so long, but read any advice from a manufacturer and every single one will tell you it's better to be locked into your boots than to be able to come flying out. Because that one time you don't come flying out, you will have a huge possibility of getting hurt.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twolfcorner2009, Yup, people get hurt wakeboarding all the time. But experience still suggests that sliding out a binding when starting out is way better than coming half out or yanking your ankles.

Your buddy is a prime example of this principal - He didn't come out cleanly and damaged his ankle.

CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit Rider,

Not coming out at all is the best though, and if you buy bindings that fit you properly and you tighten them properly, you will not come out of them. I believe that is the whole point that twolfcorner2009 was trying to make, and I agree with him.

By your theory, all beginners should just wear sandal bindings from 1990.
Billy2011

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit Rider,
js

Last edited by Billy2011 on Nov 22, 2012 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Cincy,

My point is that if you allow yourself the chance to come out of your bindings, you risk the chance of not coming completely out and snapping your ankle. This is the basis for the point I was making.
andibrook

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to come out of one binding mid-tantrum......yeah that was interesting haha!!!!
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twolfcorner2009 wrote:
Exactly Cincy,

My point is that if you allow yourself the chance to come out of your bindings, you risk the chance of not coming completely out and snapping your ankle. This is the basis for the point I was making.
So you would rather get a concussion and possibly get knocked unconscious instead of coming out of your bindings?
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, you want your feet locked in, you don't want them coming out.

Also, I'm not sure you're ever going to find an instance where you're feet are going to come out of your binding PRIOR to taking the digger and completely prevent you from any harm-it's not like you can just jump out of them the moment you feel yourself catching an edge. That's even if you come cleanly out. If you're riding any decent set of bindings, you're going to end up taking both the digger and potentially tweaking an ankle on top of it.

The geometry just doesn't work for your argument Ps205Rider. There's not a force you'll encounter wakeboarding that's going to be violent enough to completely RIP you from any decent set of bindings and have you land on a bunch of pillows. Not to mention, I've caught plenty of edges and taken many diggers and have yet to come up with a concussion or getting knocked out.

Ask any Industry expert or Pro Rider; they'll all tell you it's always better to stay locked into your bindings instead of even remotely being able to come out-it just opens the door to injury.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twolfcorner2009 wrote:
it's always better to stay locked into your bindings instead of even remotely being able to come out-it just opens the door to injury.

Absolutely agree 100%. Your body can take some good hits. But having one foot come out and one stay in is asking to just completely destroy your knee/ankle or break your leg.
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree to this to, but I would rather my feet come out of my bindings. Lulz @ geometry, not that serious of an issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: