Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Ipad mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Ipad mini Reply with quote

I dont get it? Really not that much cheaper than an Ipad. I guess it is being made not for the price, but people actually want that size?
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they blew it big time on price. Others will and do disagree.

IMO, this will sell well initially, possibly through the holidays. I think though, that in the long term the value play will drive consumers toward less expensive Nexus and Fire and even the Nook.

If Apple wanted to decimate the competition, it should have priced this at cost or near to it. IMO, they would have taken a ridiculous market share of the tablet space (more ridiculous than current), likely close to 90% of the market once the mini saturated the market. Its not like there is any shortage of $ to be made on media sales on the backend...

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's called and Ipod Touch.....Stupid Apple
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price is about what I expected from Apple. I figured it would be $299, but maybe that extra $30 leaves some wiggle room for a possible 'retina' screen later on down the line.

This Mini will be cannibalizing sales from the iPad 4, so it's a margins game at this point. If you price the Mini at $199 to compete with the margin-less Android tablets then NOBODY is going to buy the iPad 4...aaand then you've got a real mess on your hands. Google and Amazon are more interested in the margin-less market because they each make their money after the tablet is purchased. Apple makes money on the hardware itself...and then again with iTunes.

I suspect that plenty of people will opt for the Mini for the size/weight savings. Mini weighs half as much as the iPad 4 does. And IMO for general use a 7" tablet is a better compliment to a 13-15" laptop than a 10" tablet is.

J-Ro
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Rocklin

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had to price it at $329. They make money on the huge margins they have. The mini will lower their overall margin because it is not selling at the premium of the iPhone, iPad and laptops. I believe the 32gb version is $100 more too so the 16gb seems like a loss leader more than anything else.

As far as the tablet goes it will sell like hot cakes. a 16gb ipad mini is a good alternative for kids for Xmas. For $320 a parent can get their kid a 16gb iPod touch, ereader, video game player, etc all wrapped into one.

Then again they could get the new 16gb Nexus 7 for $199 and get a better screen and internals without the handcuffs of the apple eco-system Wink

Read My Blog

RIP Leggester
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and Google Maps, which you can save locally to the device for use when you're out of WIFI/cell reception. This feature in and of itself has justified the cost of my Android tablet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: