Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Legalized pot
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Legalized pot Reply with quote

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2012/10/11/wash-could-become-first-state-to-ok-pot-sales/

I am no expert and may be ignorant, but I think alcohol is more harmful than marijuana, not sure why it is legal and marijuana is not.

I think this is a good idea and will bring in a lot of revenue for the state.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go read your history. It was outlawed due to a smear campaign by the tobacco and paper industries. Ever see a movie called Reefer Madness? It's a great and real film trying to show the evils of pot.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_banned_marijuana

"the hemp plant needed to be banned because it had a violent "effect on the degenerate races". This specifically referred to Mexican immigrants who had entered the country, seeking jobs during the Great Depression"

I really had no idea, now it makes sense.
pyrocasto
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was banned for many reason. It could be extracted to make many medicines, the hemp can be used to replace wood/paper products very efficiently, and weed is just seen as bad even though it has ZERO proven harmful side effects and you can not overdose. Nor is it physically addicting, although caffeine and alcohol are.

I'm one of the biggest pro pot legalization people and I dont even smoke. Very Happy

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pot and prostitution should both be legal. Regulate it, then test it, then tax it. Save money on courts and jails, make money on taxes.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then how are we going to keep those jails filled? those jails that get money for counties and cities that have them. Those jails that employee people. Drugs are a HUGE industry, both leagal and illegal. I doubt we will see any legalization for a while. Even if the state leagalizes it, the fed has not and they will still prosecute.

If you want to see a HUGE waste of money, look at the D.A.R.E program.

Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that within the next ~20 years it will be legalized nationwide, once the teens now-a-days with social media grow up. People who take advantage of this fact now could profit greatly in the future.

On a somewhat related note, this reminds me of a hilarious video I saw the other day:

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/celebrity-video---tommy-chong-vs--salvia-eric?xrs=share_copy
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:

What? I thought tricking out AstroVans and F body Camaros was a great use of money and an even better way to keep kids off the drugs. Nancy Reagan told me it was true.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
But then how are we going to keep those jails filled? those jails that get money for counties and cities that have them. Those jails that employee people. Drugs are a HUGE industry, both leagal and illegal. I doubt we will see any legalization for a while. Even if the state leagalizes it, the fed has not and they will still prosecute.

They could keep all of that in place with the narcotics that have some actual [peer reviewed!] scientific evidence of their addictive and harmful effects. Excluding pot from the list of illegal drugs would have little impact.

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrocasto wrote:

I'm one of the biggest pro pot legalization people and I dont even smoke. Very Happy

Same here.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrocasto wrote:
...even though it has ZERO proven harmful side effects and you can not overdose.

You're still inhaling a carcinogen in most cases so ZERO side effects is a bit misleading.

I'm for legalization but am ok with medical laws that are making somewhat legal at the state level. While I don't smoke MJ, I would prefer that to some of the harder narcotics the prescribe for pain.

pyrocasto

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal, only if you smoke it. Many people now days use a vaporizer, or bake it. Smoking anything has the same inherent down falls of breathing in burned plant matter. If you vape it you're only breathing in moist air.

Since I work around dust in a wood shop, I have a lot more carcinogens in the air here to worry about.

Most of the studies done on pot is ridiculously misleading too.

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
Tbonez
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: ATL

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
I feel that within the next ~20 years it will be legalized nationwide, once the teens now-a-days with social media grow up. People who take advantage of this fact now could profit greatly in the future.

On a somewhat related note, this reminds me of a hilarious video I saw the other day:

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/video-clips/celebrity-video---tommy-chong-vs--salvia-eric?xrs=share_copy

They've been saying that since the 60s....

Money, in this case the alcohol industries money, has a way of corrupting the generation that was once so idealistic...

anw7405
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: edmond

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't smoke either but i say legalize it and tax the crap out of it. What 14 trillion dollar deficate? haha. I lived in Washington State for about 4 years recently and have never seen more pot smokers. Everybody up there does it anyway so tax it. jmo.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has a minor anxiety disorder.

His doctor put him on pills that decreased his boner strength and made it almost impossible for him to fire the rockets.

He threw them away and started smoking a joint a day and he's much, much better. Except now he can be charged with a misdemeanor. So f'ed up...

ChrisG
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Brentwood, CA

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neognosis wrote:
My brother has a minor anxiety disorder.

His doctor put him on pills that decreased his boner strength and made it almost impossible for him to fire the rockets.

He threw them away and started smoking a joint a day and he's much, much better. Except now he can be charged with a misdemeanor. So f'ed up...

That is what pisses me off more than anything. MJ will never be legalized as long as companies like Pfizer, Merck, and Bristol-Myers are in business.
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legalized and farmed weed is a significant threat to the oil, paper, fiber and drug industries. Will be tough to get it legalized on a Fed level.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting question is, why is it a crime. Don't crimes typically require a victim?
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
The interesting question is, why is it a crime. Don't crimes typically require a victim?

A crime is a violation of the law
microman

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still too many people out there like this:

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you are listing the industries lobbying against decriminalization, don't leave out the prison industry. it's a somewhat legitimate argument too - you take everyone out of jail that's in there for pot, and you have to lay off a shltload of people that aren't needed anymore.
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pot and prostitution should both be legal. Regulate it, then test it, then tax it.

It always irks me when people make this statement. Here's an idea, let's just legalize it and NOT tax it. Just sick of the notion that the government needs to regulate and tax the pot/sex business. No, just quit putting people in jail for it. Potheads and have gotten along fine without government taxation and regulation for some time now, think they can survive with just decriminalizing it. If the baptists have to give an inch, at least we can find solace that they're paying a sin tax! Rolling Eyes
</end rant> (from a non-smoker, nonetheless, ha!)

RIP M.H.Legge
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RampageWake, gotta tax it to make it worthwhile to regulate.

lets say texas gets the sales tax on 20 tons of pot per year. if a quarter ounce of bud goes for $60, you're looking at less than $13m in tax rev.

**note, i have no idea how much pot texas could consume legally, i just pulled 20 tons out of my ass.
buckthis
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" i just pulled 20 tons out of my ass."
thats a lot of pot!

howabouttheiris
Addict
Addict

City: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see only one big difference from alcohol regulation.

Unless I am just not informed, I do not know of a simple, cheap, quantitative, instant, roadside measurement (like the breathalizer) that could be used to measure consumption.

'He looked drunk' or 'He failed the 1 leg crane test' is worthless in a DUI charge, without a test to back it up.
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RampageWake wrote:
Quote:
Pot and prostitution should both be legal. Regulate it, then test it, then tax it.

It always irks me when people make this statement. Here's an idea, let's just legalize it and NOT tax it. Just sick of the notion that the government needs to regulate and tax the pot/sex business. No, just quit putting people in jail for it. Potheads and have gotten along fine without government taxation and regulation for some time now, think they can survive with just decriminalizing it. If the baptists have to give an inch, at least we can find solace that they're paying a sin tax! Rolling Eyes
</end rant> (from a non-smoker, nonetheless, ha!)

Irks me when people live in fantasyland. If we are going to regulate pot and test hookers to prevent disease, you think someone other than the user should pay for that through taxation? You think it's going to get legalized without a revenue source to control it?

I just love taxes that is why I said that. Not.
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree that my sentiments are fantasyland and would never happen.
I just have never heard any legalization argument that didn't include taxes, sadly.
Legalize != control, but alas the government controls everything else for the sheeples, not sure why I would even post my temporary delusion that we could simply leave people alone and stop enforcement.

RIP M.H.Legge
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckthis wrote:
" i just pulled 20 tons out of my ass."
thats a lot of pot!

i have a big ass?

i'd bet anything that's a ridiculously low estimate.
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrocasto wrote:
It was banned for many reason. It could be extracted to make many medicines, the hemp can be used to replace wood/paper products very efficiently, and weed is just seen as bad even though it has ZERO proven harmful side effects and you can not overdose. Nor is it physically addicting, although caffeine and alcohol are.

Same boat here. I haven't smoked in nearly a decade. I don't enjoy it at all. But even so I am absolutely pro legalization. I can't find a single factual reason to keep it banned.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's stupid for any substance to be illegal.

All should be legal. However, make strict employment restrictions against drug users. Make operating a vehicle with said drugs in your system a felony.

The problem will then just sort itself out. Those who choose not to do drugs will be well paid commodities.

You will never stop substance use with prohibition. You have to make it unattractive, yet recoverable.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]You think it's going to get legalized without a revenue source to control it? [quote]

Maybe the revenue source that is used now to prosecute people, keep them in jail, arrest them, etc. etc? Not to mention the tax on the pot itself.

I don't smoke pot either. I don't like smoking pot at all.

Eating it in cookies is another story altogether though.. haha

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jt09, you have to take into account the income tax aspects as well. Even though it wouldn't make a difference in TX, taxing the income generated would be a significant number. Especially when you include related products being sold. One side affect would be that pricing would come down by somhe has completely unrealistic expectations and she's not going to find any firm that lives up to what she wants.e amount because you are currently paying a premium due to the illegal nature and limited supply.

I would also say that your 20 ton estimate would be significantly low for a state with the population of TX.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All forms of gambling should be legalized as well. It's ludicrous that I can't place a legal bet on a game, but I can go down to my local convenience store and buy lottery tickets and scratch offs.
goinbig143
Addict
Addict

City: Wonder lake

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howabouttheiris wrote:
I see only one big difference from alcohol regulation.

Unless I am just not informed, I do not know of a simple, cheap, quantitative, instant, roadside measurement (like the breathalizer) that could be used to measure consumption.

'He looked drunk' or 'He failed the 1 leg crane test' is worthless in a DUI charge, without a test to back it up.

That is actually why I believe no serious efforts are being made towards legalizing it.

If someone could come up with a rock solid way to test for intoxication, I would imagine that would really advance the cause of legalizing it for recreational use.

There has to be some marker that points towards current intoxication as opposed to "he had some within the past few weeks."
Someone needs to find it for this to become a serious option.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legalization is a young persons cause. The youth have been wanting this for several decades. The kicker is that when the majority of those young pot smokers grow up they see it as something stupid that kids do/did. Unfortunately for young stoners, old ex-stoners make the rules with hindsight. And when they grow up they will see it as stupid too and won't legalize it either. ...and the cycle goes.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: