Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Getting Slack on the dam rope!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfunk

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Getting Slack on the dam rope! Reply with quote

It may seem obvious, but its not. When I see a pro video doing a 720, a 360, or any other handle pass, them simply have so much slack on the rope.

they don't really pull the rope in when they hit the wake either. Yet somehow, they have the slack on the rope during the course of their tricks. This is really neccessary to perform tricks, and when you go to blind tricks with your hand wrapped behind your back.

it takes so much strength to have that rope wrapped behind your back, or to get the slack to get your other hand around to grab the rope.

How do they do it? I pull in like crazy when I hit the wake, still doesn't always work. I need some help on this.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The edge. It's all in the edge.
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was taught one little trick by shaun murray, it didn't help me personally but it helped quite a few of my friends with their 360's and 540's. use at your own peril, here it goes:

instead of already having the handle close to your body (elbows pinching the sides of your hips) when edging into the wake/ popping up / holding it there, let your elbows out 3-4 inches in front of your hips when edging in, keep the handle low. pop the wake like that, then YANK it towards one of your hips to initiate the spin after you've left the wake, depending on the side you want to spin. this will initiate a strong spinning momentum since you're initiating the spin with both arms plus the handle distance you get to bring it close to your body. this also gives slack in the rope for easy handle passes.

personally i don't do my 360s this way, but shaun has taught quite a few guys to successfully learn 540's and i'm sure he kicks my ass at spinning; i just thought i'd share.
bfunk

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would that be shaun murray himself? or one of his videos - wake MD etc.
bfunk

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be pretty cool if you could refer me to a training center with murray, or the sovens, malinowski, clifford, etc, I'd like to get some advice . that is if you actually know these people, thats what it sounded like.
kent2010
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Needles

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murray has The Boarding School down in florida. look it up online you can book a spot. Pretty pricey but you definitely get what you pay for, time on the water with actual proffesionals sometimes the legend himself. But if thats not an option for you do what ediotism said. the key is to not to really start pulling the handle to your hip until you have completely left the wake and are in the air.
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfunk, we were taught that little trick in person. he came round to asia a while back for a visit/ hold a short clinic for 2 days. before that, i didn't even watch any of his tutorial vid, only wakeboarding vids where he tore things up like a boss.

we're just on a 'yeah i recognize you' kinda basis, wasn't my attempt to drop names etc.
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bfunk wrote:
It'd be pretty cool if you could refer me to a training center with murray, or the sovens, malinowski, clifford, etc, I'd like to get some advice . that is if you actually know these people, thats what it sounded like.

Come board here in Orlando., all the pros live here. I see them at OWC and the lakes daily. I've met all of the pros you mentioned they are all really good guys and are willing to throw you some advice when your at the park.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: