Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Different boards for cable then boat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZakkDaniels

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Different boards for cable then boat? Reply with quote

Was curious if anyone uses a different type of board who ride both boat and cable? Will be riding cable alot next season and am not entirely sure how the different rocker types fit into cable riding like they do on boat...hopefully that makes sense. Very Happy
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. But with almost anything when you're talking gear, it comes down to personal preference. I ride a LF Watson Hybrid on the cable and a LF Witness Grind behind boat, although I only ride behind a boat maybe once a year.

I actually bought the Witness for cable (hence the grind edition) and loved it; but a year later I was hearing rave reviews about the Watson and wanted to try a flex board so I picked it up and never put it down. I have most fun on rails and the flex makes that even better, but it feels too fast behind the boat (i'm sure I'd get used to if I rode boat more though). I prefer the molded-in fins and rocker of the Witness for the boat; super predictable and great landings, just way more comfortable for how I ride.
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to ride different boards, and this was mostly due to speed of the cable. Now I ride the same board for both.

I rode a slingshot recoil 142 at the cable because my boat board (recoil 138) felt really slow and it was like I was getting too far in the water. Our cable (WakeNation Cincinnati) runs at 19mph and I like to be at 23.6mph on the boat.

I recently switched to a hyperlite marek 140 and it feels great for both cable and boat.

I think it has to do with both what board you're riding, and your preference.
ZakkDaniels

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually just looking at the Watson Hybrid just before I made that post...part of what made me wonder about it. You really like the board alot?? Next year I wont have a boat to ride behind anymore but I just found out a new cable park is opening up about 30 minutes from me (Calverton, Long Island, NY)... So I figured a new board may be needed. I currently have a 2011 LF Witness 136 (not the grind) which works pretty well behind a boat. I think I may def try for a Watson next season tho. Cool
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZakkDaniels, Yeah, it's a blast. My first flex board though so that might have something to do with it (although lots of people seem to love it). The witness is a crazy good cable board, that thing just WANTS to do air tricks off of the flat water if you're in to that. I prefer/am better at rails, so the flex board made more sense for me. They ride completely differently so I'd suggest trying out a watson if you can before picking one up.
ZakkDaniels

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I definitely love flat water tricks...even behind a boat. I wish I could try the board first but doesn't seem like a possibility so ill just have to go on faith probably. Ive heard no bad things about it so I feel pretty confident if I did end up buying it. As far as rails go once this park is built I will be riding them for first time so im pretty stoked about it. Thanks for your response man!
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZakkDaniels, Yeah dude, you'll dig it!
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZakkDaniels wrote:
Yea I definitely love flat water tricks...even behind a boat. I wish I could try the board first but doesn't seem like a possibility so ill just have to go on faith probably. Ive heard no bad things about it so I feel pretty confident if I did end up buying it. As far as rails go once this park is built I will be riding them for first time so im pretty stoked about it. Thanks for your response man!

Wait for your park to open. It is highly likely that you will be able to demo boards there.
ZakkDaniels

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that's not a bad idea. I kinda know the guy opening it so that would be a good question to ask...just hoping it will open next season! I can see the construction site on google maps but not sure how old the photo is so well see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: