Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Do helmets work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nautiqueboarder10

City: broken arrow

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Do helmets work? Reply with quote

I recently got a concussion by catching an edge and have been wearing a helmet ever since. I've been hearing from a few different people that a helmet makes the impact worse some how. Is this true or not?
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely helps against impact damage from rails/sliders but on the water alone, nobody is really sure. Some people have the theory that it just makes your head bigger, giving you more of a surface area to hit the water and causing your head to stop faster. Alternately, while that may happen, the padding in the helmet may help cushion the blow somewhat.
FunkyBunch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: The Colony

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the helmet does help with some of the impacts with the water. The cushion inside makes a difference when taking a heel side digger since the helmet take the impact and your using the cushion inside as a buffer. Now if your face planting the helmet does nothing but add surface area and swing weight to your head so the helmet does little good IMHO. One other thing to think about is you will feel the added swing weight in your neck after taking the diggers with the helmet on.

Also something to consider is the speed you ride behind the boat, the faster you ride the more solid the water becomes as you hit it, so the helmet acts more like bike or a motorcycle helmet the faster your going behind the boat. The sweet spot to me is around 23+ the water really seems to firm up or get hard below this and I do not notice it as much. This is all just opinion based.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to see mythbusters or someone try this one out. Seems like an interesting physics question.
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunkyBunch and GnarShredd got it covered....

for all my other activities i always wear a helmet, but for wakeboarding i don't wear for for exactly the reason above, unless i've riding boxes/rails
jtryon
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can be argued either way for the reasons stated above. i was going to buy one this season, actually, all of the people on my boat were going to get helmets until the first rider, first time out with a helmet, got a concussion on a fall that wasn't even bad. that rider has since taken MUCH harder falls w/o his helmet on and hasn't gotten injured since. he doesn't wear his anymore, and none of us have gone through and purchased our own helmets. coincidence? possibly. i too would like to see mythbusters figure this one out.
Krypt HLCD's
ACME 913
lukus01

City: Austin

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each their own. I started wearing a helmet about a month ago for boat riding. I had 2 concussions about a month apart this year and figured some protection is better than no protection. Granted, the 1st one came from a knee to chin where the helmet wouldn't have done a whole lot.

I've taken a couple of back edges since and in my opinion it definitely lessens the blow. It has also given me some added confidence. It has easily paid for itself with the combo of landing my first invert and pain saved from those back edges.

I say try it out and see it if you like it. If you don't, you at least have your own helmet to use at the cable.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say no they do not work for boat riding (no rails or sliders.) My personal opinion is it makes it even more dangerous, and increases the likely hood of receiving a concussion due to the increased surface area the helmet causes.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought it was easier on the head, harder on the neck. And they look gay, so tie breaker goes to no helmet.
FlatH20
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always a good debate - we wear them, gay or not... earlier this season my kid took a nasty fall board came up and split his head open - if had been wearing his helmet it wouldn't have happened. I think INT requires them if my information is correct
Williamsone46

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything I would be worried about your neck with the added weight. Like if you were to take a toe side digger and the helmet wanting to be ripped of your head causing a neck injury.
2012 CWB Ride

lukus01

City: Austin

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukus01 wrote:
To each their own. I started wearing a helmet about a month ago for boat riding. I had 2 concussions about a month apart this year and figured some protection is better than no protection. Granted, the 1st one came from a knee to chin where the helmet wouldn't have done a whole lot.

I've taken a couple of back edges since and in my opinion it definitely lessens the blow. It has also given me some added confidence. It has easily paid for itself with the combo of landing my first invert and pain saved from those back edges.

I say try it out and see it if you like it. If you don't, you at least have your own helmet to use at the cable.

....adding to my helmet experience - over-rotated a backroll and the helmet busted up my eye, nearly broke my nose, and blew my eardrum. Now I'm not so sure they're worth the gay look. Didn't get a concussion though.
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a helmet isnt going to reduce concussions... your brain is still hitting your skull due to acceleration and sudden deceleration. a helmet only helps you physically hitting your head on an obstacle or your board
CincyVLX
Criminal
Criminal

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has their opinion on this subject. We have them on my boat. I wear one when I ride, but I don't insist on everyone wearing one. To each their own...
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it helps if it fits nicely. I feel like if it is loose at all, it could make it worse if riding behind a boat. behind a boat i only wear one to make my mom happy
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, goody. The helmet debate. Rolling Eyes
tdickman4
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ride cable at all I would get one, but for boat, I wouldn't get one
CPGrandelli
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think we need to look at the logic behind this. Some people have made valid points such as riding at a cable park where you will be hitting rails, good choice to wear a helmet.

Now regarding the physics behind the helmet and water. If you are wearing a helmet and hit the water and the helmet is the first point of contact the water surface will initially be broken by the hard exterior of the helmet, thus compressing the inner cushion absorbing shock which is then dispersed through the helmet and to your head. The design of the helmet was based on this concept. Now regarding a face plant. If you hit your face first... it will still hurt, however the design of the helmet with vent holes was intended so that it would not act as a scoop to the water and instead would pass through the vents in the helmet so it wouldn't potentially break your neck.

Some smart guy came up with this concept after military member were having their necks broken in vietnam by bullets hitting their helmets not penetrating but the torque combined with the chin straps would hyper extend their neck causing it too break.

This was continued with the PROTEC helmets for operations the required jumping from helicopters into water. Same concept as described above.

2012 Hyperlite State 134
Harrison.R

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnarShredd wrote:
I'd really like to see mythbusters or someone try this one out. Seems like an interesting physics question.

I definitely have to agree. I use one because I feel safer but I really don't know if it helps a lot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: