Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Is wake boarding prone to injuries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeginnerWakeBoarder

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Is wake boarding prone to injuries Reply with quote

Hi, I started wake boarding shortly after starting I was attempting to cross the wake, the board hit the wake at the wrong angle and it twisted tearing my ACL. It's been almost a year and my knee still hurts. I really had fun doing and when my knee heals I really want to get back into it again but I'm worried about damaging my knees further. I don't want to do tricks or anything fancy, just a simple ride on a Saturday. Was I just unlikely or is this sport ( on a no trick level) injury prone, I realize no sport comes without risk but as my main hobby is horse riding I don't want to do something where I'm almost guaranteed another knee injury. I was also using a board to big for me I'm not sure if that aided my injury.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like any sport, there are physical risks. Accidents happen doing anything. If you haven't done any physical therapy it's probably not a good idea to hop right back on the board. Nobody can predict the future and tell you if you're going to fall or not and how but as a beginner, you likely will fall at some point and riding with an injury is generally never a good idea for anybody.

In the end, consult your doctor or physical therapist. They can help you decide if you're strong enough to ride.
3MileBayWaker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Syracuse, NY

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many wear knee braces after tearing things.... I have a rugby injury from college and while I never needed surgery I still wear a simple compression brace. It's not a guarantee to prevent an injury, but my knee cap doesn't pop out of its groove during a run.
2009 Liquid Force Trip 142/ 2008 CWB Answer
BeginnerWakeBoarder

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys recon that skiing is safer as there is less surface area to get stuck in the water
3MileBayWaker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Syracuse, NY

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as much of a risk and personally I think more stress on an individual knee, I can waterski but personally hate it. My g/f is the complete opposite, she'd rather ski on snow and water than board either.

All have their inherent risks. If you fear something, your more likely to actually have something bad happen. As the saying goes, "fear is the mind killer"

2009 Liquid Force Trip 142/ 2008 CWB Answer
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeginnerWakeBoarder, Honestly, if you're this concerned about injury you probably shouldn't do it. You'll be stressed the whole time worrying if you're going to fall and hurt yourself and not having any fun. If you're concerned mostly about the bindings, give wakeskating a try or just carve around on an old surf-board so your feet can be free.
BeginnerWakeBoarder

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the advice, i think I'm going to wait a little longer till my knee is strong again and try again with a smaller board (I am a very small girl and I was using my boyfriends board who is quite literally double my body weight). My mom water skied for years with no issues and I love the water, accidents happen but my physio made it sound like anyone who climbed on a board was guaranteed to mess up their knees. I'm keen for an element for risk but not a guarantee
Brenden99

City: Los Angeles

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is little risky.
View user's profile Send private message Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Maude Haleigh

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI I am a newbie and had just started wakeboarding months ago. I must agree that whatever it is, there is always a risk involved. I used not to engage myself into sports because of that fear and I think that thinking gave me so much limits both physically and socially.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: