Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Strapping the rear of the boat down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Whitaker
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Whiteland

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Strapping the rear of the boat down. Reply with quote

Did you new boat come with rear straps? Do they rub the boats gel coat?
dlb988

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat did not come with them. I bought them the next day. I use heavy innertube cut outs so there is no rubbing on the gelcoat. others use carpet.

Cut out slots on the top and bottom of your pad and run the strap through the slots. That way they will not slip and always be with the straps.
Geoff Standish
Addict
Addict

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used straps, our dealer told us that there is law here and that we should. But over his years he has never had a problem, and thus we have never used ours!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ohsix on Jul 20, 2012 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Phaeton
Addict
Addict

City: Redding

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our boat did not come with straps but was one of the first things purchased. I have seen a wheel come off a boat trailer causing it to swerve and the boat came off as well because it did not have the rear straps.

My trailer is set up so the straps do not rub agains the boat.

Geoff Standish
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phaeton,

What kind of boat was this that fell off the trailor...I think you would need to do something exceptionally stupid to knock an inboard boat off the trailor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ottawa

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat came with rear straps, and those straps came with rubber guards to protect the gel coat. Because of the way my trailer is built, it's impossible to set it up so that the straps don't touch the gel coat.

Geoff, if you read his post, a wheel fell off causing the trailer to swerve wildly. I'm pretty sure that's enough to cause an inboard to come off a trailer.
Phaeton
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mastercraft. Looked like straw all over the highway.
George
Addict
Addict

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we bought our boat we asked our dealer and they siad they never had but we went ahead and bought them any ways since our other boat had them.

www.soddyriders.tripod.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Geoff Standish
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well, in order for that boat to come off the trailor the bow winch strap must not have been on (or it broke). Think about it (Assuming the bow strap is done up), for a boat to come off the trailor it would have to bounce itself so high that it clears the running gear over the trailor support rails, but even before that could happen you would have to break the trailor guides.

I'm not saying that strapping the back is a bad idea, I'm just saying in order for that boat to come off the trailor something major has to be over looked...
Phaeton
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the trailer swerved the boat bounced and hit the top of the trailer guide. That flipped the trailer and sent the boat flying. Trailer came off the tow rig also.

There was another incident on the boards last year where a guy went over a cattle guard and the leaf spring broke shooting the trailer into the air. He said the rear straps saved the boat.

kstateskier
Criminal
Criminal

City: Manhattan, KS

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff,

If a boat shifts at highway speeds in an accident, the trailer guides will snap like a pretzel, same with the bow strap. If you are only using a bow strap, a bow safety chain is a good idea IMO. Also, they way people pull boats now, ie 80mph+, any good sized bumb can dislodge a boat from a trailer. Plus in an accident, you really want the boat and the trailer staying together, which won't happen without straps.
hazza_35
Criminal
Criminal

City: kerang

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes my boat came with straps and its the most worthy money spent getting some iff u dont have em!

RIDE ON BUDDY!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Geoff Standish
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no way am I saying that strapping the back isn't a good idea. But look, if your trailor comes off your truck you are hooped if you have straps or not. Like he said it flipped the trailor as well as the boat...And if bow straps can break like you say then you are pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't. If a bow strap can break then the straps off the back can break too.

I guess if you used a bow chain in addition to the rear straps you might be safe. But on my boat the "U" bolt that you attach your bow chain to is welded to the frame. That weld is alot smaller than the welds on my trailor guides. And if you say those can trailor guides can snap off at highway speeds I doubt that bow chain weld will hold.

I have yet to or hear of a design from you guys that I can find totally safe...Our old boat we used to put 2 straps around the sides of the boat and to the trailor (Our trailor was two big for our boat and it used to bounce around) Now if you guys were doing this I would say it is safe (But it seems anything can break).

I think it comes down to where you want to draw the line. My dealer said he has never heard of a problem from people not strapping the backs down. And I believe him. For any of the straps (Bow, transom, bow chain etc) to come into effect you need to get yourself into something fairly catistrophic. And well at that point, straps or no straps you are done!

Maybe I will strap the back down on a long trip...

Sorry for the long post...
Phaeton
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff another way to look at it. If something were to happen and the straps failed you would not be held liable. But if you didn't have straps on the back then you have left yourself wide open.
OttoNP
Addict
Addict

City: MI

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this day and age your always liable, straps or no straps.

I've never seen a boat come off a trailer while driving but I've seen some get shifted from road bumps without straps. One shifted enough so that the fender touched the side of the boat, not a big deal just scratches, it was an I/O. I would use straps, not sure why you wouldn't, they are easy enough to put on. Even if your boat doesn't fall off, they keep your trailer and boat together, I imagine that without them on bumps the two separate slightly and then slam together.

Nick
________
EXTREME VAPORIZER

Last edited by OttoNP on Feb 27, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MadDog
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Upstate NY

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, for a realtively small price you are protecting yourself that much more. Maybe they would snap in some extreme situations, but they may save you in others. It is definetly worth a few $$$ in my opinion.

MadDog's home page
Geoff Standish
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason we don't use straps is because our lake is a 1 minute drive from our house, in which time we probably won't break 50 km/h. This is our first year with the new boat, and we did buy the straps. We've just never found ourselves in a position where we've needed them. Maybe if we go on some long trips I will strap it down. I agree it is best to be safe...
Phaeton
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course on short trips we also leave the straps off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: