Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

First post here, need some help with knee joints pain.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtatdsm

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: First post here, need some help with knee joints pain. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Let me start off by complementing the effort put into this great forum as well as positive contribution made by all members in this forum.

Secondly, I am pretty newbie to the world of wakeboarding, as a matter of fact, I started wakeboarding almost a couple of months ago, shortly after my 37th birthday. I am 6.1 and weight 184 lbs just in case that matters. I have started wakeboarding behind a boat for a month or so, then switched to cable park for the last month.

The Problem:
I noticed that my collateral ligament of my front leg (right leg) would hurt a bit at the beginning of riding day but the pain disappears 10 to 15 minutes in or as a warm up, but would come back if I constantly hit the kickers. this with my binding set at the widest holes in my board (LF watson hybrid - 139) and at 12 degree. last week, I was advised by a semi-pro rider at our cable part to increase the binding angle to 18 degree to avoid knee pain or injury. he told me the less of a binding angle I use the more stress I put on my knees, but angles more than 18 degree will put more stress on my ankles instead, he says 18 degree is the sweet spot between stressing your knees and ankles. Anyway, I took his advice and widened the binding angles to 15 (not 18 since I did not want to go from 12 to 18 right away) and initially my lateral ligament pain went away even after hitting the kickers more frequently than the usual, then a couple of hours later in our cable park, my back leg knee joint (left) started to hurt gradually until I could not continue wakeboarding that day. My knee joint felt a lot better on the following day (today), and I hope it will be all gone in a day or two. the question is, could this knee joint pain been caused by switching the bindings' angle to 15 from 12 degree, or it's just a coincidence? Is it true that using more binding angles (18 as opposed to 12) puts less stress on your knees, and anything more than 18 puts more stress ankles? finally, I know being 37 years old is not helping my knees, but what can I do to prevent knee pain after or during riding? will riding bicycle help, how about supplements?

any help will be greatly appropriated

thanks
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no to all of that. Everyone is different. It could be the binding angle or the width of your binding placement. It could also be 37 year-old knees.

Here's what many would probably tell you. Stand in place on land and act like you're in your riding stance. Jump up in the air as high as you can and when you land don't move a thing. Take a good look at the distance between your feet and the angle of your feet when you land. Try to duplicate that as closely as possible when you set up your bindings.

Then, find a workout program to strengthen your legs. If you don't have knee issues already, the workout program should include several variations of squats and lunges.

FunkyBunch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: The Colony

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that I have to do is stretch my thighs and caves very good before riding.

Some observations I have made. So this is just my personal experience.

I found that when my thighs are tight I get pain just below my knee cap. It is called runners knee.
If the inside or the outside of your knee hurts I adjust my stance.
For me if my stance is to narrow or not ducked enough the inside part of my knee hurts.
If my calf's are tight the outside of my knee will hurt. This is just something I have noticed over the years of riding.

Also make sure your riding switch or your muscles will build on one leg more than the other and that can give you some knee pain as well.
xtatdsm

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Gents,

I have initially adjusted my stance and binding angles using on the jumping trick, but to be honest with you, it's a bit hard no notice 12 to 18 degree angle difference using the jumping technique. I also tend to stretch a bit before riding, but I admit I only stretch for 30 seconds max, moving forward that will have to be changed. I also tend to land back-foot heavy, I will have to do that and try to absorb the landing with both legs and knees bent and flexible to better absorb the landing.

Aside from doing the above, I would appreciate it if you gentlemen would let me know what binding angles are you all using, also? what kind of supplement should I be taking to better lube my joints (just in case it's an age thing) and what kind of pain medication do you take for joint pain, it does seem that Advil is on the top of the pain medication list, but what kind of dosage should I be taking, and when (before or after riding, and by how long), again, in case it's an age thing.

Thanks again everyone.
FunkyBunch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: The Colony

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you landing back foot heavy your taking off back foot heavy. Try to even your weight some more. More than likely your not getting that back knee straight as you come off the wake so your losing some pop. Trust me I speak with experience in this area Wink.

About the stretching.
Do this maybe an hour before I leave for the lake.
Drink lots of water makes a big difference IMO. Reduces recovery time also gets rid of any built up lactic acid.
Reduce the number of cokes since it will dehydrate you and I have heard other things it does to your joints.
I take ibuprofen normally 600mg after riding. That may be more than you need but I have done this for years while playing hockey. So 600 if nothing hurts and 800 when something does. I only do that once a day.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had some magic advice but I don't. I'll check my bindings next time I'm at the lake but I'd guess mine to be 10 degrees. I don't duck out a whole lot.

I do some stretching as a regular routine but I make sure to hit my glutes, hamstrings, quads, and hip flexors a little extra on days that I'll ride. Ibuprofen is about all I ever take but I don't require it to ride or to function after I ride. Maybe I'm lucky.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: