Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

HS360

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wderrick

City: Ames

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: HS360 Reply with quote

Hello

I have been really struggling in trying to land my first HS360. For me, the part I struggle with is entirely in the handle pass. Whenever I attempt it, I almost always rotate perfectly and ride away from the trick... the only problem is that I no longer have the handle...

The feeling I get is that there is just wayyyy too much line tension built up in my rope from my progressive edge and it is impossible for me to bring the rope in...

I am sorry there is no video, but would still greatly appreciate help!

wes
SexyWS6Mama
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Killeen

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same issue.....
ronix14

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the same problem I thought, after watching video of my 360 though, I realized that I was just bad at handle passing, because I'd never had to do it for any tricks before, what i found helped me a ton was tying a weighted laundry detergent jug to an old ski rope and swing it around my body and practice passing the handle for 5 or ten minutes a day each direction. I'll include the video by LearnWake which explains the technique and other important aspects of handle passing. Have fun hope you nail it soon!

http://wakeboardingmag.com/how-to/higher-learning-wakeboarding/2011/08/05/how-to-improve-your-handle-pass/
wderrick

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is great advice, I think learning muscle memory may be exactly what I need.

Thank you bro. I only wish that all my handles weren't at the lake so that I could start practicing right now!
ABoba

City: Victoria

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just grab anything that is heavy and about the right length. I did some initial training with a 5lb weight before switching up to the rope. Work on getting the wrist twists right, both hands facing down in front, both hands facing up behind. Oh, don't drop it on your toe, that hurts.
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to be stating the obvious stuff here, but i've made some of the mistakes with expensive regrets:

1. using an actual wakeboarding handle is the best because your body/wrists need to learn how tight to swing the handle round your hips/ turn your wrists

2. a rope too short will not really help (although you'll have a smaller swinging circle), 1.5 - 2 feet is ideal. read number 3 twice.

3. do not practise in the living room with your dogs walking about/ glass coffee table/ small TV nearby. i smashed into 3 things in one single sitting...

4. a big milk jug is quite ideal as weight as it is soft and you can put water/ sand for weighing it. almost every type of sand is heavier than water - you can also wet the sand to heavier it.

5. use the handle pass routine along with the Indo Board or equilvilant for a busy workout in front of a TV, which should be very far away from you.
wderrick

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"3. do not practise in the living room with your dogs walking about/ glass coffee table/ small TV nearby. i smashed into 3 things in one single sitting... "

^hahaha sounds like a true disaster.

I started with a broom handle, rope, bungee cord, and a milk jug full of water, went out in my driveway and started practicing. The bungee cord broke 5 minutes in, milk jug goes flying, and BOOM explodes against the side of my car... lol ... I am now using broom handle to rope that is hooked around two 5 pound preacher bar weights... and I do it in my lawn, muchhhh better.

Can't wait for this weekend!
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to type about the actual 360....

assuming you're spinning it frontside (e.g. leftfoot forward, heelside take off, spinning anti-clockwise), you wanna pull the handle hard towards your right hip AFTER you've reached peak of your jump. the line pulling will give you the momentum to spin the 360, and 'yanking' it with both hands first will ease the tension for the handle pass.

a little tip that shaun murray gave was to approach the wake with the handle a bit further away from your hips. instead of popping the wake with elbows right next to the hips, have them about 2-3 inches in front of you. you can keep your balance as long as you keep the handle low.

go up the wake like that, pop into the sunset, and pull it hard towards your rear hip to initiate the spin only after you've reached peak height. don't worry about under rotating because when you do, you're more than likely to land with the board pointing parrallel to the boat direction.
wderrick

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had heard your advice before this weekend. It has never occurred to me to pull with both hands at first...

I had practiced the handle pass alot but it was to no prevail. I do have video, but I am waiting for my mom to email it to me LOL.

on a side note, I am heading down to college on Friday and look forward to riding behind a new boat! We have a malibu in our wakeboard/waterski club and it throws a lot nicer wake than my parents crestliner! Also, there is something to be said about the adrenaline of having college girls watch can give you Wink

ediotism, ronix, I appreciate your help guys! a video of me wiping out coming soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: