Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Deepwater starting a bi-level

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 21, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Deepwater starting a bi-level Reply with quote

hi all, just something i haven't really gotten round my head and would like some advice/help/suggestions with

on a wakeboard i can dock start/deepwater start anywhere. with deep water i can do the beginner lying flat on water style, or 'crouching in water' start no problem.

on a single deck wakeskate i can do a running dock start and a beginner lying start (hands holding handle and board in place until boat starts to pull). it feels to be a lot more work than a wakeboard but i can still do it 100% of the time.

i was recently given a nice bi-level deck, and so far i can only get on water by doing a running dock start... being in water, it has so much resistance i'm struggling to let it plane before the handle pulls me forward and fall. i've googled it and youtube seems to suggest a crouching deep water start, so my question is, would this be easier at all? what sort of boat speed/other tips are there?

i'm mainly wanting to do this on my (possible) last session of the summer to learn wakeboard raleys behind the boat, but swimming back to dock for a running start every fall is, well, stupid and tiring...
skye120
Criminal
Criminal

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im kinda confused about your question but if it is is a deep water start easier? Your answer is yes. Personally I always do a deep water start, its so much easier on the arms legs and everything. It also cuts down on the resistance too, but thats just my 2 cents
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a lot more resistance with a bi-level skate but if you're deepwater staring correctly it shouldn't be a huge problem. It sounds to me like you're deep-water starts with a wakeskate are all wrong.

You shouldn't have to hold on to the board. Get in the crouched starting position like on a wakeboard and let the board float up to your feet in the water with both hands on the handle, just like a wakeboard.
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys - i actually asked this question september last year, i've learned a bit more since then lol Cool

now i just crouch in water with the bi-level under me, both hands on the handle. as long as i make sure the wakeskate travels forward for half a metre when i have tension, it floats up against my feet and i can plane like the same way a wakeboard does.

incidentally, tried a fingerflip dock start today and landed with my legs split onto the edge of the skate, not fun Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeskating All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: