Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Beginner Looking For Wake Jumping Tips (With Video!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JesseSands

City: Springfield

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Beginner Looking For Wake Jumping Tips (With Video!) Reply with quote

Whats up guys, sorry I know you get this type of question a lot. I have been snowboarding for years, but this is my first Summer owning a boat and wakeboarding. I know the basics of what to do, I'm just hoping maybe you more experienced guys will take a look at my video and tell me if I should be able to do more behind my boat. Im riding an Obrien Clutch 137 with the fins on it (for now) with Obrien Kick Bindings, if that makes a difference.

Im riding behind a 19 ft I/O (1994 Rinker Captiva 190) with a 4.3L Mercruiser with no tower. I dont have a lot to compare it to, but Im sure the wake is pretty small comparitively. I am clearing the wake with a 50 Foot rope as long as I cut hard and the boat speed is 20 MPH or over...all the way up to 25 when Im really flying (horizontally) fast.

I'm wondering if what I am doing is about whats to be expected with low wake and no tower.. or if you guys can spot some things I could do a lot better to get more hang time.

I made the video pretty quick, but I threw some music on there, so its not terrible. At the end it has the stats of what Im using, 50 foot Poly E Rope, Boat Speed, etc. Pretty awesome "rip my feet out of the bindings and knock me senseless" faceplant at the end too!

Thanks for checking it out!

[youtube]fZy63CC_lzs[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/fZy63CC_lzs
JesseSands

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why I cant get the video to embed correctly, but the link should work.
jamespjackson95
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you riding at 50ft? Bump it back to at least 65 for more air. Also when your bending your knees your absorbing your pop. You have to stand tall and edge all the way up the wake... That's where pop comes from.
JesseSands

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I woud try to learn to clear the wake at 50 feet and then whenI got better I would lengthen the rope. At 50 feet my boats wake seems to be bigger than at 65 feet. At 75 feet I dont think I could ever clear the wake because its like 15 feet or more across.

I will try to focus on not bending my knees as much...I think I've gotta get that snowboarder mentality out of my head. Thanks for the tips!
skye120
Criminal
Criminal

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it sounds crazy but one thing that helps is to let the rope super long like 75 or 80 ft bump the speed up a little and just jump to the center of the wake. When you get a little comfortable doing that jump a little further in the wake keep doing that. When you get comfortable with that shorten up the rope to 65 or 70ft then do the same thing and you should clear the wake alot easier because your use to the speed and air. I know it seems kinda sketchy but i promise it will work, this will also make you airs bigger because you further back. 50ft is pretty close to be riding also make sure you try to really stand tall when coming off the wake. You dont have to hit it with as much speed if you really pop when coming off the wake.
JesseSands

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess I should be (it is possible) getting a lot more air than I am currently getting even though I have no tower and a relatively small wake?

I wasn't sure what kind of height on my jumps to expect with my setup.
FunkyBunch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: The Colony

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse

I would add one thing to what everyone has said here. You are going to have to really get good at the progressive edge to get the pop your after. That is a good thing when you move up in wake size you will have a good foundation to handle the bigger wake. Bigger wake just makes you lazy and not have to work as hard.
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunkyBunch wrote:
Jesse

I would add one thing to what everyone has said here. You are going to have to really get good at the progressive edge to get the pop your after. That is a good thing when you move up in wake size you will have a good foundation to handle the bigger wake. Bigger wake just makes you lazy and not have to work as hard.
This
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: