Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

newbie needs help on jumping, etc video link incl.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewudd

City: MEMPHIS

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: newbie needs help on jumping, etc video link incl. Reply with quote

i put together a video montage of me riding last weekend (it is pretty long). i'm riding a hyperlite board with HL bindings, behind a moomba with a tower. it is a newer boat. it only has one fatsack at this time. we use either a proline spectra ropes in the 60 or 55 foot length.

i'd love some pointers on things you can see that need improvement but specifically the following things:

-more distance and more pop off the wake. i have read quite a bit of posts where ppl talk about standing tall. there are some jumps where i get a little better pop and some where i get better distance but none where i combine and still not that much pop. i tried wide and less wide distance from the wake trying to focus on progressive edge and standing at the top of the wake.

-i only tried to set up a few TS jumps. but never got any air with them...is my approach even close?

-riding switch. i do a couple of switches. it is obvious that i'm not comfortable there...but is my body position etc right? i struggle switching back. also, it looks like others do it much faster...what is the trick to speed up the switch?

i know its a lot. you won't hurt my feelings so let me have it. i really want to improve which is why i spent time making the vid. if you comment regarding a specific pass, please mention the time of the vid so i can look at the same thing. thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/sAayTg1zKEo

Matt
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I'm seeing:

1. You aren't edging anywhere near hard enough at the top of the wake to get what you would consider "good pop." In order to edge as hard as you need to, you should be cutting into the water so hard as you go up the wake that the people in the boat can very clearly see and read the graphics on the bottom of your board. Pay close attention to what I said, though, that is how hard you should be edging as you go UP the wake. That is not how hard you should be edging when you first start to cut toward the wake. You don't want to charge hard at the wake from way outside the foam. Instead, you want to ease in and continue to increase your edge as you get closer to the wake so that your hardest edge is taking place as you go up the wake. This is the beauty of video: you get to compare what you think/feel like you are doing to what you actually look like. The video shows that you are edging only about 30% of the amount you need when you hit the top of the wake.

2. You are absorbing the little pop you are getting from the minimal edge with your knees. When you hit the top of the wake, you suck your knees up toward your chest. This absorbs the wake's energy and gives you very little lift. Most beginners do this because they feel like they will lose their balance if they don't. That is OK, but to get the pop you're looking for you need to lock your knees as you go up the wake.

3. Related to absorbing the pop with your knees, you need to stand up taller. Your shoulders should not be hunched over and you shot not be bending at the waist at all as you go up the wake. You should have your chest pointed to the sky.

So, to edge harder your butt should be damned-near touching the water as you go up the wake with your chest pointed at the sky. Lock your knees as you go up.

NOTE: this is a super-hard edge that I'm telling you to use. Once you get better at edging and clearing the wake, you can back off of this a bit as you start to feel the proper way to edge into the wake.

thewudd

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great. thanks for the tips.
another question: is my speed to the wake sufficient or am i too slow as well?

i just recently got a waterproof camera (koday zx5) so i'm excited to try it out soon and see if the vids are better than with my old point and shoot.

and i'm planning a long weekend in august to try out a cable park.
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your speed will come with the harder edge which will result in you travelling further horizontally in the air. Locking your knees and standing tall will boot you vertically.
ray4man

City: Joplin

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can add is keep the handle close to you hips. This lowers your center of gravity and makes the jump more stable.
ray4man

City: Joplin

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the title of the video says 6:58 am! Surprised Way too early for me.
Ps205Rider
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: newbie needs help on jumping, etc video link incl. Reply with quote

thewudd wrote:
i only tried to set up a few TS jumps. but never got any air with them...is my approach even close?
Your toeside edge needs work, you shouldn't bend at the waste when TS edging. If you watch when you try to cross the wake you bend at your waist. Also, from my experience, try one toeside jump for every heelside you try, don't want to be the ultimate heelside hero. When you do begin trying to TS jump, remember to flatten off, progressive edge, and you should have your knees slightly bent coming in at the wake, do not bend at the waist, then at the wake you should stand up all the way. My TS jumps are actually more solid than me heel, just firmer body positioning I guess
thewudd

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the title of the video says 6:58 am! Surprised Way too early for me.

thats b/c i unearthed a camera that hadn't seen the light of day for several years and didn't care to make the time stamp accurate.

thanks for all the tips guys. i would like to say that i have been back and tried to make some changes and could show a new and improved vid. however, i had a minor motorcycle accident and need to heal up. i got 3 sets of stitches and some sweet road rash. i want to stay out of the water to avoid any flesh eating bacteria untill i'm healed a little more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: