Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Installing Speakers on the tower?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeKuhn

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Installing Speakers on the tower? Reply with quote

Hey, I've searched around and found DIY's for installing the speaker but my question is what all do I need as far as the wires to connect everything.

I know i need a certain gauge of speaker wire to connect the 2 speakers to the power amp. But what do I use to hook the power amp up to the head unit(radio).

And as far as powering the power amp goes, do most people hook a cord up to the battery, or should I use a separate battery just to power the amp. Also what kind of wire should be used for that...Grounding wire?

Thanks for the help, sorry i'm a noob at this.
carp22

City: great falls

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I would go buy an amplifier wiring kit from walmart. It will have everything you need in it. A power cable to run to the positive terminal on the battery, a ground to attach to a good ground (or the negative terminal works too), RCA cables to run to the head unit, and a remote turn on wire to run into the ignition or the remote turn on on the head unit. Then hook the amp up in a good spot that wont get wet. And to answer your question about using another battery, that would depend on how powerful your amp is. I only push about 200 watts thru mine so it doesnt need an extra battery, but if you are pushing any more than 800 watts I would probably hook up a second battery depending on how well your alternator works. Try it with just one for right now.
MikeKuhn

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got everything wired up but there is nothing coming out of the speakers.

Were using 2 Kicker KMT60 tower speakers with a Marine Quart NAU460.

We hooked up the speakers to the amp with some 16 gauge speaker wire. But I just found the Amp states that 4 gauge speaker wire must be used..

Is this our problem. The 16 gauge speaker wire just does not work with this amp?
carp22

City: great falls

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. When it says that you need 4 gauge wire they are talking about your power and ground wires that connect to the positive terminal of the battery and the ground. Your 16 gauge speaker wire is perfect to run to your speakers. Also before you go out and buy a bunch of 4 gauge wire, I would just buy 8 gauge. It is still a huge wire that carries a lot of power. One thing in the car and marine audio business that companies continue to rip people off with is that they tell you you need a wire big enough to power a house to carry power to your amp, I used 10 gauge with my 300 watt amp and it works perfectly fine.

Heres a list of things u have to have to hook the amp to make it work.
*power cable to + terminal on battery
*ground cable to ground or - terminal on battery
*remote turn on wire to ignition or remote turn on on the head unit
* speaker wires to the speakers
*RCA cables running from the amp to the rca output on the head unit (if your head unit doesnt have them, then you will have to buy an adapter for like 20 bucks)

if all of these things are hooked up and it still doesnt work, try hooking it up not bridged sometimes amplifiers have resistance problems or just do not work on bridge mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: