Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Initiating the edge in

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKwAKe

City: East Lansing

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Initiating the edge in Reply with quote

Hey guys. Just started wakeboarding a couple weeks ago (5-6 20 min runs) and am loving the sport. Wish I'd picked it up years ago.

At this point I have decent control, can switch, ollie, and jump wake to wake. I'm not happy with my edging, though. I can't edge as sharply as I'd like to and often feel like my board is sliding across the water rather than doing what I want it to.

I notice this most when I'm attempting to progressively edge to the wake for a jump. Often my board will turn far more than I'd like it to and will actually start doing a bit of a slide, which really messes up my approach. This also causes the line to slack out until I'm closer to the wake which makes the jump really awkward and weak.

It's worth mentioning that I just bought an old Hyperlite Fluid 137 and took the fins off because they're pretty damn big, like 2". If I'm not trying any surface tricks/stuff involving rotation should I just put them back on for the time being? I've read that if you're edging properly fins aren't necessary (and I'm sure I'm not), will using them stunt my progress?

Another thing that may be messing up my edge in is I my TS edge out. It doesn't feel right - like I'm not edging hard enough. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but part of it might be not leaning back enough/standing too forward on the board, which makes transitioning into a seated position awkward. My friend also noted that my seated position is too far forward rather than being leaned back.

I appreciate any advice you guys might have.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A video would help, but what you might want to try is start your edge back in slower, put some more weight on your front while your coasting and keep that balance during the edge in.
AKwAKe

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I'll see about getting a video if we go out today.

What do you think about using the fins as well?
FunkyBunch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: The Colony

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this for toeside.

http://www.youtube.com/watchv=xqAheageD9c&list=UUCnaxGODS146vhGItS0XmQQ&index=10&feature=plcp

Without fins your position and edging has to be very good to hold a good edge. I am guessing your body position or handle position is off as you start your edge in. There is one other thing you should take a look at that might help with your issue. Pay particular attention to the setup position for his body and handle position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckkf840HZE4&list=UUCnaxGODS146vhGItS0XmQQ&index=3&feature=plcp
AKwAKe

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't had the chance to get a video. I think my problem was mostly caused by me not properly "sitting" back as I moved onto my HS edge to maintain/build line tension. I think I was crouching more than leaning back. I still have a lot of room for improvement but I think I understand how it's supposed to be done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: