Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Aerial/gymnastics type training.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan351w
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Aerial/gymnastics type training. Reply with quote

Anybody ever acquire professional type training at a facility to make your riding better?
I've been thinking about it for about a year now to increase my air awareness and learn how to maneuver myself better in the air.
Just wondering if you enjoyed the experience and if it did help your riding.

Thanks
Ryan.

GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of some of the pros do this but I'm not sure if it's private training or if they just sort of go to an open gym sort of thing. In any case, any time you can spend in the air/upside-down will help carry over, one of the reasons why trampoline training is so popular.

In any case, you'll likely improve your comfort level in the air it can be a great, fun way to workout too.
Ridebutter

City: Holly Springs

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trampoline / gymnastics training can be very helpful for are awareness. I have used open gym days in years past, and with some direction it can be very helpful.
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Killeen TX

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audrey goes once a week. its a HUGE help.
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, how did Audrey go about finding a place like that?
I've done some searching and all I keep finding are places for like 5-12 year olds.

Ridebutter, i've got a trampoline but no instruction so its hard to learn without anybody who knows watching. Laughing

vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan351w, You have to look for an adult gymnastics class. There are not a whole lot of them but there are some.
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes most of the kids are just that kids. but the classes are open. they also offer privates that you can do one on one training. she does both the general classes and privates. but yes most of her classmates are under 18.

also i know "the book" has tramp training on it. at least i know it does for tantrums.

City: Lake Stevens

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a trampoline and just practice doing all sorts of different flips. I bought a trampoline I learned how to backflip 180 backflip 360 frontflip 180 frontflip 360 then three weeks later I landed my first tantrum and started to get close on my scarecrows.
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up jumping around on a big trampoline in my backyard and that led to me doing every trick I could think of off a diving board. You can see a significant difference between when I first started attempting a tantrum and my buddy who never was around a trampoline or diving board started to attempt his. You find your body control and overall comfort level in the air is much higher. My buddies who have practiced or just done flips and twists on trampolines also tend to not have as much of a problem full committing to a trick like a tantrum or a backroll because they know what the sensation of spinning backwards is.
SexyWS6Mama
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Killeen

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I take tumbling classes and went there to have more air awareness and not be scaried. I do general tumbling/gymnastics and now I take my trampoline wakeboard and practice my back tucks, back layouts, front tucks with my board. I think it's going to help me in the long run. Plus, we have a trampoline at home, so I practice my flipping at home as well as my 3's.

I just looked up local gymnastics and I was lucky enough to find a great coach that understood my needs were for wakeboarding there.
hawkster0001
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: GR

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thers a gymnastics place out where i am that does an open gym nite about 3 days a week its 15 $ or so they have about 8 tramps or so with one going into a foam pit and one with pads and just a bunch a various gymnastics equiptment.
TAMELESSTGR

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have a question. I picked up a free Jump King trampoline a few weeks ago for the very reasons above. To get more comfortable with spins and someday a tantrum attempt. I do not know how old the trampoline is, but there were a few of the loops all ready broken off when I assembled it. The mat looks pretty used and abused, no major holes, just the stitching looks brittle. So I took it kind of easy, managed to pop one spring off the day I set it up. Ok, I made sure it was more level, and it has been good for about 2 weeks. Then last night I am jumping and trying some 360 handle passes, boom, 1 spring goes, then 5 minutes later another one. I'm pretty sure I need a new mat, or is the trampoline trying to tell me to go on a diet? I'm 6'2" - 225 lbs
STANG KILLA SS
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAMELESSTGR wrote:
Ok, I have a question. I picked up a free Jump King trampoline a few weeks ago for the very reasons above. To get more comfortable with spins and someday a tantrum attempt. I do not know how old the trampoline is, but there were a few of the loops all ready broken off when I assembled it. The mat looks pretty used and abused, no major holes, just the stitching looks brittle. So I took it kind of easy, managed to pop one spring off the day I set it up. Ok, I made sure it was more level, and it has been good for about 2 weeks. Then last night I am jumping and trying some 360 handle passes, boom, 1 spring goes, then 5 minutes later another one. I'm pretty sure I need a new mat, or is the trampoline trying to tell me to go on a diet? I'm 6'2" - 225 lbs

Try replacing the springs (visit Texas Trampolines) to purchase new ones. -Sexyws6Mama (on b/f's account)

City: great falls

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never actually landed anything but a jump, but ive attempted to do flips and failed, but hopefully i finally land one this year. I started with just a trampoline in my yard and when i got comfortable with flips and spins, then I just used youtube and google to watch videos and see pictures of how to do tricks. then i tied a rope and a handle to a nearby tree to get the feel of doing the tricks on a tramp.

I would say be patient, I have been doing flips on trampolines for like 3 years and still cant manage to get enough pop off the wake to hit flips on the water. I would work on doing flips at home and for awhile work on getting huge air on the water then when your comfortable with both then try the tantrum or the backroll atempt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: