Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Little Help Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmangh15

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Little Help Please Reply with quote

I just started to wakeboard. I am looking into getting a board. I am 6'3 250 lbs. I play college baseball and workout and and have plenty of strenth to get up. I have had a problem with the rope popping out of my hands while i try to get up. I have the board half in teh water half out of hte water as they throttle the boat and i just dont go anywhere. Does the board need to be in teh water? do i leave it perpendicular to teh water until my ass gets out the water then turn it or what? also i am looking at a liquid force 144 im thinking the board should do with my size right? and what bindings are better closed toe or open toe?

Thank you for teh help

Garrett
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand "as they throttle the boat and i just dont go anywhere" Is this because you let go of the rope?

What type of boat? Engine?

I am very new and similar size (and not in that great shape at the moment Smile) I just wakeboarded for the first time a couple weeks ago and got up everytime I tried (both with the board perpendicular to the water and with the board flat on the water). IMO it doesnt take much strength at all to get up, you just let the boat do the work for you. Keep your knees to your chest and when the boat pulls you up turn when you feel comfortable. This only takes a second or two at most to get up (at least in my case).
gmangh15

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a 5.7 liter mercruiser and when they start to pull me there is just so much pressure that the rope pops right out of my hands. Do i start with the board and feet a little out of the water with toes pointed towards boat or board in teh water with toes pointed towards boat?
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way IMO is board halfish in water with toes pointed towards the sky.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmangh15, the problem is not whether you've got the board in/out of the water. The rope is popping out of your hands because you are fighting the boat and creating that force by pushing against the boat with your legs. DO NOT FIGHT THE BOAT. IT WILL ALWAYS WIN.

Instead, let the board push toward you and collapse your knees so that you get your knees pushed into your chest. Hold this position and let the rope pull you up. It will feel like you are going to get pulled over the front of the board. Lean back just enough to keep this from happening WITHOUT straightening your legs. Once the board starts to plane up on top of the water, stay squatted like a frog. When you think you are ready to stand up, count to 3 and THEN stand up and turn the board.

Since you're a baseball player, this visualization should work easily for you: squat like a catcher when the boat starts pulling. Don't move until the board is up on plane, then turn the board and stand up.

gmangh15

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so just stay in a ball until i get on top of the water???
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmangh15 wrote:
so just stay in a ball until i get on top of the water???

Yup, dont pull with your arms or push with your legs at all.
gmangh15

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the board im looking at. Its a liquid force 144, what do i need to look at when buying a used board, and also i am looking at some 08 cwb zeus bindings. will those fit this board?
mdesanc13

City: Rochester

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay,
you want about 60% of your pressure on your lead foot and 40% on your back foot.
keep those knees tucked, like youre sitting in a chair. the closer your board is to your body, the more stable you will be getting up.
the turn is a fluid motion; its about weight distribution, you dont kick your legs in opposing directions to turn.

AS SOON as you start to be pulled up lean a little more on that lead foot and the water will help direct your board forward

wrap your arms around your knees, and when the boat pulls you should plane off with that 60/40 pressure.
if you can ski compare that to the 50/50 pressure when getting up on skis, they're really very similar motions. once you get it once you oughta get it every time.

that board looks good,
look for the right rocker
a continuous rocker will provide smoother transitions and less pop,
while a 3 stage rocker will ride more aggressively but provide big pop at the wake

i have a hyperlite premier with a 3 stage rocker and i love it. i ride it without the fins and it feels just like a snowboard. molded in fins are a nice feature
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: