Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Which foot forward ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcgreen85

City: Marion Junction

PostPosted: May 23, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Which foot forward ? Reply with quote

Hey guys ! I was wondering if it matters which foot I have forward while wakeboarding ? I only ride behind a boat if that matters. I've only been a few times but I feel more comfortable with my right leg forward, my brother says that most people have their left forward. Am I wrong for this ? Do I need to work on changing the way I ride ?

Thanks, Matt

flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: May 23, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever foot forward you feel most comfortable with is your dominant foot. If you can ride both directions and feel the same then that is a bonus. Most riders cannot learn to ride regular and switch. Since they both feel right now I would ride both directions as much as possible.

but it does sound like you are 'goofy' foot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
mcgreen85

PostPosted: May 23, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice flixmaster. I will keep working on both & hopefully I will be comfortable with either foot forward.
mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: May 23, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Flix, it sounds like your dominant side will be right foot forward. If you are comfortable riding with either foot forward try to split your time evenly between each foot forward. Dont need to change a thing just get out there and enjoy.
mcgreen85

PostPosted: May 23, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mgs917"]I agree with Flix, it sounds like your dominant side will be right foot forward. If you are comfortable riding with either foot forward try to split your time evenly between each foot forward. Dont need to change a thing just get out there and enjoy.[/quote

Thanks man, that is for sure what I'll do. I'm going again this weekend. I can't wait. Thanks for the advice & help

mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: May 23, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of boat are you guys using? What board are you using? There is tons of good info on here and lots of helpful folks that can answer your questions so take a look around the forums.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: May 24, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgreen85, Listen to these guys, being able to ride with either foot forward is one of the best skills you can have. Practice it, especially if you're already able to do it.

Another tip I have to find out your dominant foot is to imagine you're sliding across the kitchen floor in your socks. When you run and jump to slide, which foot do you put in front?
mcgreen85

PostPosted: May 24, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can ride with either one forward I just feel a little more comfortable with my right forward, but I can get up & ride either way. I will do like y'all are telling me to & keep practicing with both, & as far as the kitchen floor goes to be honest it feels the same either way, I just tried it
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: May 24, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you! I wakeboarded for YEARS before I could ride regular stance as well as goofy.
jpenny0704

City: Boise

PostPosted: May 26, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip...stand straight with your feet shoulder width apart, then have someone come up behind you and give you a little shove. Usually the foot you put forward to save yourself, will be the foot you ride forward with.
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Lewisville, Texas

PostPosted: May 27, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride right foot dominant....I have tired riding with my left foot forward once and hated it. But every little trick yall said to do I was always right footed too.
brumby

City: Discovery bay

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little trick I was taught for snowboarding which can be applied to wakeboarding is to take three or so steps and jump forward as though you are going to slide on some ice... or for a surf skimmer if you like... the foot you lead with is most likely to be your dominant foot.

It also helps to set your binding angles. Stop and look at the angle of your feet after planting them for a slide. Perform the ice jump & slide routine a few times and you should notice a binding angle that's a good starting point.

Got that from an 18 yr old snowboarding instructor at Steamboat Springs Colorado. Best snowboarding instructor I ever had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: