Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

wakeboard rope and ski rope

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chadwicksteed

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: wakeboard rope and ski rope Reply with quote

hey all, im a newb. Is there a difference between a wakeboard rope and a ski rope. If so can a ski rope be used as a wakeboard rope. thanks
Enygma
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the rope. For wakeboarding you really want a non stretch rope. You also don't want a really foamy handle as it'll likely just get ripped to shreds.

You can use a ski rope for starting and learning the basics but once you're jumping the non stretch makes a HUGE difference.
cubbies017
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bloomfield Hills

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100% with Enygma, well said.
V8 Killer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bridgeport

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you go to buy a wakeboard rope, look at the length. By the SHORTEST one you can. All high-end ropes will come with extensions. Look at the base length and aim to buy one that is 50 or 55 feet long, no longer.

Reason is when you're getting ready to try your first wake-to-wake jumps, you want the rope to be as short as possible, making the 2 wakes closer together, meaning you learn and land your first W2W quicker and with less falls/pain.

I had a noob show up with his own rope and handle a few weeks ago, which was much appreciated. Problem was the rope started at 70' and he couldn't even clear W2W yet. I made him return that and kick the sales guy that pushed it on him in the nuts.

Good luck!

Dusty

swimfartlek

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I hope this isn't a stupid question, but couldn't you just put a bite in the rope to take out excess length?
Dancingsphinx22

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you do that you compromise the strength of the rope. I could be wrong though.

I think your best best bet would be to by rope that already comes in sections. You can usually remove 5 feet at a time.

HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even though this thread was resurrected from last summer, I'll chime in anyway. Very Happy

First, you definitely need a non-stretch rope. Not just for "jumping" but for edging. You'll never really get the hang of a good toeside or heelside edge with a nylon ski rope that stretches as you're cutting out.

Second, there are plenty of choices for ropes. Depending on your boat and riding speed, you'll need to figure out where the "sweet spot" is on your rope. Also, don't sell yourself short (pun intended) by buying the shortest rope you can find. One of the techniques for learning to go wake to wake (W2W) is letting the rope out to 75 or 80 feet so that you have no chance of clearing it. You can practice hitting the wake without worrying about casing the other side or having to immediately ride across the second wake when you land. Once you've become comfortable throwing that 1-wake jump, shorten the line back to your normal riding length (probably anywhere from 55' to 65') and you'll find yourself riding down the other wake or even taking it to the flats.

Third, we've tied knots and loops into plenty of spectra lines over the years looking for sweet spots or repairing the line, or whatever. Yeah, no one wants to tie an ugly knot in their brand new coated spectra line, but if its what you need to do to find the right length, go for it.

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since the price of the non-stretch combos has come down there is no need to not buy a non-stretch combo. The non-stretch rope will help with your jumping. Proline has a LG combo for $89.99 and I just closed out some 2011 combos for $99.99 at the 80ft lengths.

Use the knockoffs if you can. The coated ropes if tied in knots can sometimes crack the coating. Once you get a little crack in the coating the rope tends to keep peeling. If the coating is off them you can knot them up all you want without a problem... other than the 'ugly' look that HHI Dave says..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Liquid Indy USA

PostPosted: May 20, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer coated and non-stretch ropes. I board with bare hands and the slick coating on the rope really slides in my hand well in the water with no friction at all. The coated line does sink in the water whereas the non-coated ropes tend to float and have better visibility on top of the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: