Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

begginer need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjenkins

PostPosted: May 01, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: begginer need help Reply with quote

I got a deal on a hyperlite vero 143 even though I think it's a little big for me. I'm 5 foot 8 inches and 190 pounds. I spent a month on youtube watching instructional videos and reading Forums. I got up pretty easy but not the correct way I have to come up standing. I can edge and turn inside the wake but the board wants to turn slightly sideways. I know it just gonna take some practice. When i go outside the wake as soon as the board is in the flats it turns and slides right out from under me. I was thinking the front fin could be helping push the front of the board around. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I know noone that is into wakeboarding so I'm kinda on my own.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: May 01, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put some more weight on your front foot. Pretty sure that will solve the problem. But post a video, that would be very helpful.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: May 01, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to more weight on the front foot. Also need to concentrate more on holding rope handle on your front hip. Straight arms in front of you like a water skier will cause the board to slide out more than anything, so try holding the rope out in front of you with your front hand when you start sliding out. If this works, you know that the reason you are sliding out is because of the position of the rope handle. Work on gradually getting it permanently on your front hip.
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: May 01, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pet575 wrote:
Also need to concentrate more on holding rope handle on your front hip.

This. Definitely.

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
cjenkins

PostPosted: May 01, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks im gonna go again this weekend. i really want to learn the corect way and maybe someday do every wakeboard trick at least once!!!!!!!
any input as far as the board size, what order i need to learn what or binding placement as far as when to move them up and to a neutral position so i can start working on riding switch? thanks again:)
mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: May 01, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should look into the dvd "the book" or "detention 2012". You can also go to the website learnwake.com. There are also some good instructional videos on youtube. The first thing you need to start working on is proper body position and learning how to use your edges.

The board size should be fine for your body size.

I think most people have their bindings set angled slightly out. In other words, your heels are closer together than your toes.
cjenkins

PostPosted: May 02, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks. i will look into the dvds. like i said i really want to learn the corect way!!!! maybe this weekend i can get some video.
cjenkins

PostPosted: May 07, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went wakeboarding again did alot beter. worked on corect form and keeping the board sraight. was able to get up the correct way..i was doin it all wrong!!! i can now edge way out beside the boat and cross the wake in both directions...but slow crossing the wake even though i wanna jump it...lol. found out that takin in or lettin out the rope just 5' makes a big difference...i like it at 40'. im moved my bindings a little closer to the center of the board and it feels beter. im still not real balanced but i guess that will improve in time and with every trip. my back is really sore now. i guess from really twisting and gettin the handle at my hip?? is now a good time to work on ridin switch?? i did try a surface 180 and almost had it but the board slid out from under me..but that was before i moved the bindings. any insight on what i need to be doing now???? i hope to be able to get some video for all soon:)
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: May 07, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sore back means you bending over at the waist. Keep your back straight, stand tall, hips forward, lean back with your shoulders against the rope.
Sure ride switch! The sooner you start the better. As soon as you ride switch check you position again.
Post a vid, and take a lesson to not develop bad habits!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: