Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

How to avoid faceplanting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiredmessiah

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: How to avoid faceplanting Reply with quote

I've been practicing my turns and riding switch and yesterday I faceplanted twice. Needless to say I don't feel so great today. Is there something specific I am doing that causes you to fall in this way? Any tips to avoid this? Thanks in advance!
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take lessons. Though even then you might still faceplant occasionaly, it's just part of wakeboarding.
wiredmessiah

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about helmets? It seems like a stupid question but I never see anyone wearing one. Do they significantly help reduce the number of concussions you get while learning?
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you catching and edge and getting SLAMMed down on your face? If so are you looking down at the water when you are riding? Beginners tend to look down. Keep your head up and looking at the back of the boat or the top of the wakeboard tower. Also try and not push down with your toes. sometimes you can push the edge of the board down just enough to cause you to catch an edge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
wiredmessiah

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is exactly what is happening. Thanks for the tips. What about helmets? Does anyone wear them?
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're doing the surface 180 slow the boat down to 14 mph or so. Then when you're riding switch speed up to 16 or 17 or so, until you're comfortable riding switch, then slowly speed up till normal riding speed.
Wheeler
Criminal
Criminal

City: Decatur, AL

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyZone CR wrote:
When you're doing the surface 180 slow the boat down to 14 mph or so. Then when you're riding switch speed up to 16 or 17 or so, until you're comfortable riding switch, then slowly speed up till normal riding speed.

This is good advice... not only are crashes less brutal, but things happen slow so you can react to them.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiredmessiah wrote:
What about helmets? Does anyone wear them?

Not the majority of riders. There is some disagreement over whether helmets actually hurt you worse by causing your head/neck to be twisted due to the helmet dragging on the water more than your head would if you weren't wearing it.

Ask 10 people and the large number will say "NO" and a small number will say "ALWAYS". Go with what appeals to you.

FunkyBunch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: The Colony

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a helmet sometimes.
Started wearing it when I got a concussion from catching a heel edge. The helmet is not going to help even a little on a face plant and as pet575 said there are some that think the extra weight increases the force no matter what you do.

I think it helps with catching that heel edge and can help protect your ears when hitting the water that way also. For it to help the helmet has to fit correctly, otherwise it can bucket and cause damage as well. The main reason I wear one is because I ride at 23+ sometimes and I think the helmet does more good the faster your riding. If I am riding at 20-21 I don't wear it as much. Just my opinion.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see many wearing helmets unless they are hitting rails etc. There has been no research on whether wearing a helmet or not will cut down on the concusions. But they will help you if you are slammed on a rail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Lewisville, Texas

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh so thats why I am faceplanting.... Smile
Abuse

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Europe in most of cable parks are helmets required if you want to go on rails or other obstacles. I think it is similar to wearing helmets on snowboard or bike. At first everyone told it looks stupid and it is not necessary, but after few years everybody wear one. Maybe there are some cases when helmet cause worse hurt, but i think in much more cases prevent you from any hurt.

Look at this funny video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVmxOoz1Qjs Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: