Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Buying a new board how is slingshot?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scubasteve12

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Buying a new board how is slingshot? Reply with quote

I'm gearing up for my second season of wake boarding. Last summer I rode a friends beginner hyper lite board. It had large middle fin with 2 small molded fin's on the out side. 1/2 way through the summer we took the middle fin off I like the board better as I could steer easier and it had less tendency to catch an edge and leverage me in. But I had to relearn jumping as I couldn't get any pop coming off the wake doing ollie's was also harder to keep the board squared.

This year I wanna buy my own gear I was looking at the Slingshot lyman board I have heard that you can only use there bindings with there boards I'm a fan of the Ronix One boots is why, looking at their new boots both the Rad and Ktv boots look nice.

My goal this year is to go wake to wake. When we stopped last year I could get air inside outside heel side 100%, outside inside heal side 80%, and air outside inside toe side 90% never tried wake to wake the one time I tried I leveraged in hard enough to end my day. I'm riding behind a 2010 X25.

How are the sling shot boards and boots? Will they be to advanced for me? I want something I can grow into at the same time.

thanks in advanced
buckthis
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the One and you will have no problem going wake to wake.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scubasteve12, Slingshot boards are a bit more advanced but you shouldn't have any problem with them. The Silngy will feel really loose at first but that can actually be a good thing to get you learning good edging technique. They're featureless on the bottom other than the fins. Most people who have Slingshot boards are extremely happy with them from what I've heard (I've never had one). It'll last you a while as well and you'll never outgrow it skill-wise.

Bottom Line? There will be more of a learning curve than with some other boards but if you stay patient and really focus on your edging technique, you'll be a better rider for it later on. As always, I suggest trying to ride a few different boards if you can to see what you like before diving in to a big purchase.

Any bindings will work with the Slingshot board binding system, you just have to make sure you have the right size/length screws.
TheHebrewHammer
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent assessment here^

If I was in your situation, I wouldn't buy the SS Lyman or the Ronix One. Buying a brand new 2012 pro model board and bindings just doesn't make a lot of sense to me for a rider who is still working on his first wake jump. Like any trick in wakeboarding, the wake jump is 95% technique, boat speed, wake, line length, etc. The board you ride won't make a whole lot of difference in my opinion.

I can understand why you might want to step up from an older board, as pre-2009 stuff tends to feel very heavy and clunky to me, but the reality is that you won't be able to use the board to its full potential. I'd advise you to go with a cheaper and more user-friendly board like the 2010-2011 LF Witness or Trip.

I haven't ridden the SS Lyman, but it's supposed to be a tracky tire-squealer that sets a mean edge and blasts you straight to the wake. It wouldn't be my first pick for a beginner.

I have ridden the Ronix One. It's a hugely capable board with great pop and speed, but it's super tracky and very unforgiving on sketchy landings. It will throw you on your face in a heartbeat if you get sloppy with your edge control. Again, not my first pick for a beginner.

I think you'd be fine with the Lyman or the One and you might even like them more than your buddy's Hyperlite, but they just strike me as wastes of money.

I know you didn't ask for that, but it's just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt and do what feels right to you. I think you'll be happy with your purchase either way. Getting your own board for the first time is an awesome feeling and it will help you get started with the long process of figuring out what style of board is right for you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: