Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Should I rent/try a new board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambo
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Should I rent/try a new board Reply with quote

So, here's my dilema. I only get to snowboard a few times each year. Headed to Tahoe for a week and will get in probably 4 days max. due to other obligations. I have an old 2000 Tempest 156 that I have ridden everywherre and for all around riding, it's a great board. It's in great shape and recently tuned, so it's not like I'm riding a POS (except it's old). I'm an intermediate rider and prefer mountain riding and carving to the park type riding. I'm getting older and the falls hurt more every year... Very Happy

So, on to my question. Has there been so great of a progression in snowboard designs that I should rent while I'm out there to ride a new 2011/2012 board? Is it really going to make it that much more enjoyable/better? Or have the changes been more marginal such that unless your a pro/park rider that the expense of renting outweighs the benefits? I do know that they are now coming out with "rocker" style boards vs the traditional reverse camber, but the opinions seem to be they take a few days to get used to. I just won't have the time to "learn" a new board. Last, baggage fees on my flights will be less than, or equal to, rental fees, no money isn't really part of the equation.

I mean, while wakeboards have changed some over the years, more rocker, better shapes and durability for "park" riding, gotten lighter, more tech, etc..., two of my favorites are still the old school LF Trip and Balance. And I ridden LOTS of different boards and have to say that I prefer my older ones in general. PRobably just because I have so many hours riding them and they feel like a natural extension of my legs. Wonder if it wouldn't be the same with a snowboard, but just don't have ANY experieince on newer boards...

So... opinions??? Haas there really been a MAJOR shift in snowboard tech? Thanks!

sambo
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's it... based on the overwhelming responses, I bringing my tried and true Ride Tempest... Very Happy
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bring the board but then I would stop at a local shop and see what they have. We just returned from the snowboard SIA show in Denver and all the companies were showing all the 2013 products. They were pushing the rocker tech at most of the booths..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
chawk610
Addict
Addict

City: Fort Worth

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say... rent one there and if you like it... buy it. Nothing like buying yourself a new toy!
sambo
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I say... rent one there and if you like it... buy it. Nothing like buying yourself a new toy!

I may... Just got me some new boots after ten years. Ended up with some K2's. They seemd to fit me best. Sweet!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: