Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Inland Surfer: Kennan or James Walker Pro board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarZin

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Inland Surfer: Kennan or James Walker Pro board? Reply with quote

About to make my first big purchase for wakesurfing. This past year I started wakesurfing, and by the end of the summer, I started nailing my 360s. I have mainly been riding a Hyperlite Coex, which I love. But the board is too slow for me now, and I really want to try to get some air off the wave. I am 160 pounds and am wakesurfing behind an 09 Supra 21V.

These two boards couldnt be much more different. The Kennan board looks a lot more like a Coex. But I have watched videos of Kennan getting air, and the biggest air I saw with him on the James Walker board.

Since they are both in the same ballpark price wise ($750-$900), which should I get to take my riding to the next level?
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inland are a whole different level of board from the coex. The coex is built like a wakeboard. The inland boards are going to be lighter and more aggressive. I think the keenan will be more of a skim style board.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
surfdad
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Stockton

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Walker is my son and we built the original models under the Flyboy Wakesurf lable before merging with Inland Surfer. As Ed points out, the Keenan is a skim style board and James signature model is a surf style board. Both of those models come out of the Flyboy division of Inland Surfer. They are manufactured using a composite sandwich construction. You can read more about that process on the Flyboy site at http://flyboywakesurf.com The boards have a similar weight and length. The Keenan model is significantly slower than James model. The Keenan allows you to do all manner of skim tricks like shuv's big spins, etc. Both boards will allow you to get air, but due to the wide tail, the James Walker signature will be easier to do them with. I hope that helps and if you have any further questions, give me a shout.

FlyBoy Wakesurf - the most technically advanced wakesurf boards
Wakesurf
CarZin

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. I wanted the flyboy from the beginning. Only thing I am concerned now is longevity. I know this is a competition board, and weight is reduced at the price of sturdiness. I obviously want this board to last a couple of seasons before it breaks. I know James is riding all the time, but how often does he split a board?
surfdad
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that's not true. The Flyboy is built using a composite sandwich construction. In short, it's a low density EPS core, but the skin is a 3mm 5 pound density cross linked PVC material. In terms of normal use, it will substantially outlast normally constructed boards. Two and three years is easy. No heel dents, some scratching because the graphics are painted externally.

The one area that it is susectiple to damage is an impact with a hard sharp object. They can create small cracks, especially along the rails and tail on the vertical surfaces. If you don;t tend to them they will propogate along the length of the board.

Don't slam it into the ground or hit it with a hammer and you're good. Smile

Wakesurf
CarZin

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered your boy's board. It wasnt clear on Towanza... What fin setup does it come with? What does James ride with most of the time?
surfdad
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CarZin! James will appreciate it. The board ships from Inland with the require fins, it's "twinzer"'ish with what they call the Monster rail fins and then a set of small canards that fit into the small mini-tuttle down-sized boxes. You'll be all set. I hope you enjoy the ride!

Wakesurf
CarZin

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Hopefully I will do his board proud on Lake Gaston in North Carolina Smile
CarZin

PostPosted: May 07, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my first session on the board this past weekend for about 3 hour of riding.

I have never had a board before with such long fins down the side. Riding toe side, if I kept my weight off my toes, the backside fins would grip, and I would get off balance really quickly. Keeping firm pressure on the toes makes the board super fast and response. I was finally getting some quick spinning 360s in the first couple of hours.

I have still not adjusted to getting the board pumped out of the back of the wave like I was with the coex. Also havent figured out best foot positions on it yet.

Regarding aerials, I still havent gotten this figured out. I am able to barely get the board out of the wave, but only enough to spin the board slightly at the top of the wave. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'll hopefully figure it out.

The board is super high quality, a huge eye catcher, and super comfortable to ride. Definitely the right choice. Now I just need time to put it all together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: