Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

So I picked up a new camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: So I picked up a new camera Reply with quote

I finally bit the bullet.

We now have a Nikon D5100.

First impression of this camera, holy moly there is a lot going on. I've got one helluva learning curve for this bad boy. I can tell it's going to take great pictures. But in my hand it's still pretty moderate.

My god it's tricky learning about what speed, apereture, iso, etc to have the thing at. I know it's got all the preset setting, so I'll try those out first. But the cool thing is, from seeing all of you guys pictures, I know kind of what I'm looking for in mine, so it gives me something to practice for.

I had some good ones of the dog, but my wife deleted them. So here is me screwing around some model cars.
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Lewisville, Texas

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new camera! Yeah messing with the settings can be fun and frushtrating. Pics turned out pretty good though!,
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. My wife loves the picture taking and learning about the different things you can do with the camera. I just like looking at the pictures...haven't ever really gotten into the taking side of it. Have fun with it!!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haugy, Nice! We picked up a D90 right after AJ showed up. We've taken some killer shots with it s far. Truth be told they were mostly accidental but f!ck it I'm taking credit for it as the photographer anyway. Laughing

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: san diego

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haugy, get the 50f1.8. it's cheap but sharp and super fun to shoot with.

here are some shots using the 50.

I'm thinking some island. And Alaska is not a choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe,

There's so much to learn on these suckers, I'm a bit overwhelmed.

All I'm doing right now is just picking one setting, and then taking a ton of varying pictures to see how it handles them. And then move on to the next setting.

The ones I really want to explore the potential on is all the manual settings where I can control aperature, iso, shutter speed, etc. Only problem is, I have no idea what to set to what for each setting.

Any good places to read up on how to learn about these better, and when to use what settings?

I'd like to at least become somewhat aware of what I need to do, and then let the practice do the rest.

I like that 50mm f1.8 lens, that's pretty sweet. But after dropping the coin for this one, and a 55-200 lens, I'm going to hold off for a bit. Laughing
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, brilliance sometimes comes by accident. Doesn't mean you're not still brilliant. Wink
JRW160
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntsville

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a t2i at Christmas with 18-55, 55-250, and a 50mm f1.8. I haven't taken any pictures I thought were all that great yet. It's been about 15 years since I've used an slr, so I'm having to relearn everything. I'm looking to getting some wakeboarding shots and videos this summer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: