Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Big Guy - Board Recommendation - Newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjb1985

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Big Guy - Board Recommendation - Newbie Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some board advice.

I'm 6ft1 and 240lbs (110kg), but slowly losing weight.

I'm looking at the 146cm Liquid Force Trip and 145cm Hyperlite State.
Budget is about USD$350

Any thoughts on these boards?

Open to any more ideas on boards (packages).

Also any tips on handles with ropes, brand and length for newbie?
Going to be using a Ski hook this summer, before installing a wake tower over winter.

Any more helpful hints or tip you wish you had when starting?
jmlloyd
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about your size and ride a Ronix One 142. I would think anything over 140 would be fine for you. As far as advice......be patient. It takes a little more to drag our big asses out of the water, but once you get the hang of it you will be fine. Good luck
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been riding for a long time now and have always been on the bigger side of gear. Always had big feet and eventually grew in to the 6'4" 220lb yeti that I am today.

jmlloyd, is basically right, anything over 140 should be fine. I currently switch between a Liquid Force Watson Hybrid 143 and a Liquid Force Witness Grind 144.

You'll be fine on either of those two boards you're looking at. As you can see, I'm a bit of an LF fanboy but the LF Trip really is a great, classic shape that you'll be able to ride for a long time before you outgrow it with your riding (plus the graphics are usually pretty cool/original, haha). I'm not as familiar with the Hyperlite State but I see a lot of beginners at the cable with them since you can nab em for a great price and they all seem happy with it.

As far as ropes and handles go, just be sure you're getting non-stretch rope. You don't need to go all-out and get some crazy thin wakeboard line right away (although they are nice, they can be expensive), just be sure you get non-stretch and you'll be fine. A lot of these basic ropes will come with a handle already. Just be sure to get something with floats on the sides. It'll be much easier as a beginner to deal with.

For a final tip. BE PATIENT. Some people get it right away and others it can take a bit of time (I think it took me 3 hours or so to consistently get the hang of getting up on a wakeboard for the first time). Have fun with it. If you're getting frustrated, just remember that you're playing in the water Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: