Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

how old is too old??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlatH20
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: how old is too old?? Reply with quote

so - got started boarding a bit later then most - I'm at the mid forties - what do you folks think - should I go ahead and try to do some more advanced tricks - my goal would be to nail a backroll or something even more advanced - what say the crew?
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Veterans division has guys in your age group. Watch some veteran riders ride and you will see that anything is possible. Take a few private lessons and have an instructor give you some good tips on handle control before you go and beat yourself up trying to huck some inverts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
twolfcorner2009

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Backroll or Tantrum is usually the first invert most people learn. If you're already comfortable or used to doing the laid out flip (like a normal backflip off of a diving board or trampoline, etc) I'd say start with learning the tantrum if you're ready for it. I started with the tantrum because it felt more natural to me as I grew up jumping around on a trampoline and doing flips off of whatever I could find.

I agree with flix though, make sure you've got all of the basics absolutely dialed before charging the inverts. Without good fundamentals, you'll just find yourself either flying through the air and landing upside down, not getting enough pop off the wake, or digging your edge into the wall of the wake.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy at the cable park who's gotta be well in to his 60's. It's never too old.
BrianABE
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster is right, get a few lesson and you'll learn the do's before the don't.
FlatH20
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the basics, can do the W2W, 180's, a few grabs and some great wipeouts - like the idea of a few lessons - thanks much
BrianABE
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great tip is to ride with guys who are much better than you. Don't let your pride or ego get in the way. The fastest way to progress is to ride with other who are better. You push yourself to ride more and try more. Cool
JoLo_Si
Criminal
Criminal

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're never to old to have a good time and I can't think of a better one than being behind a boat. Besides that, alot of us on here are closer to your age than you might think. It's not a cheap sport so unless you were born lucky, you / I had to wait until we were a little older to get into it.

Lessons are the best way to progress quickly & safely and keep you stoked to learn the next trick. I rode all last season with the same crew all at the same level. I learned more in 1 hour by myself with a coach at the begenning of this season than all of last year. It made this year so much more enjoyable to go grab a set with a coach every 3-4 weeks and learn something new each time that I could throw when I got back with the regualr crew.
FlatH20
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoLo_Si wrote:
It's not a cheap sport so unless you were born lucky, you / I had to wait until we were a little older to get into it.

OK so now I don't feel so bad - my kids have it soooo good though
dpd2483

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im 50 ben doing it for 2 years
Cragrat

City: Gillette

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpd2483 wrote:
im 50 ben doing it for 2 years
50 here... this will be my third summer. At our age it may take a little longer to recover from a nasty wipeout... but man... it sure is a kick!
Wakeboarder3780
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wausau

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're only too old when you decide so. In other words, you aren't too old for anything until you think you're too old. I plan to ride into my 60's if at all possible.
V8 Killer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bridgeport

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of respect for all you in your 40's and 50's, that's awesome. I got a late start for the same reason many of you did, but look forward to giving my girl an early start. I know I'll never be Clifford or Murray but it sure is fun trying! I hope to ride until I die.

Ski Supreme
Criminal
Criminal

City: Las Vegas

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 42 and just getting started this year. I use to Slalom Ski like a champ about 14yrs ago so this shouldnt be to bad, but I think I might take a few lessons from more advanced riders. I so want to learn the Tantrum. Cool
FlatH20
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see a few more folks jumping in- 44 this year and started my fourth season last weekend - air temp 50, water a balmy 45 - got on my new board and had about a 10 minute set- got my arms stretched out really good...

wife also got started post 40 - so far we're keeping up trick for trick with the kids...
mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started at 22, but I do not have a boat and I only get out about 5-10 times a season. I can't wait until I can afford my own boat. I am 27 now and hope to have one by next season. I feel like I am getting a late start getting a boat, but I then I lok at this thread and consider myself lucky that I get to ride at all.

FlatH20, It's cool that you and your wife are keeping up with the kids.
dpd2483

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was 50 friday i went to day
mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpd2483, What were the temps? Where do you ride? Have you been out since last week?
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 41 years old the first time I wakeboarded. I've ridden every single month for the past 71 consecutive months. I'm 47 now and I run a commercial watersports operation which includes coaching kids' wakeboarding. Its NEVER too late to start. Cool

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
WakeBait

City: Vienna

PostPosted: May 14, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man thats great, I know the older crowd can do it.. Yawl are some pretty tough cats.. Like said earlier may take alittle longer to recover from those nasty wipeouts, but in my book yawl can roll with the young bucks anyday.. I am 22 and most of my good friends are in there 40s, none of them wakeboard though.. I need to find some wakeboarding buddies in Middle or South GA, i dont know anybody that rides. I hate riding by myself lol.

CJ

munkymush

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me and my mate are 57 this yr weve been boarding for a few yrs but skied for 20yrs before that .. were no good lol but we enjoy it all , still have a play on a slalom ski and trick ski for fun ..we blame our inability on our age lol.. and we maybe need a few more painkillers to keep going but no intention of giving up till we have to . Wink
DJBusyB

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be 47 at the end of August. I bought my first boat, ever, in 2007. I started skiing that year, got a wakeboard in 2008 and am absolutely in love with the sport. It is often the only exercise I get away from my IT desk job. I'm still learning and struggling, just now getting wake to wake, but I progress every time I go out.

My wife just turned 51 and loves wakeboarding too. She is progressing slowly, not as enthusiastic as I am, but is wanting to learn more. She gets up, can cut back and forth, wants to ride switch, and is learning surface 180s. Thankfully we tons of videos we've bought and watched on YouTube.

Age is nothing but a number. Now, my body might not think that, but I keep my mind young and always try things!

Brian

magilla

City: Canton

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be 56 this fall, been wakeboarding 10-11 years. Just learned a surface spin 1260 (that's 3.5 revolutions with 3 behind the back handle passes) and TS aerial 180's from both sides of the wake in the past week.

Also do lots of wakesurfing... dont even need a rope anymore. can begin surfing at speed from swim platform and end back on swim platform.

I love it!! Laughing

FlatH20
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is great - never thought that this thread would keep on going... kind of like all of us more "mature" riders - perfect!
Ski Supreme
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my surface 180's down now I need to practice wake jumps. Mr. Green
Ski Supreme
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH and Im 42. WOOT WOOT
jsperr

City: South Jersey

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: No one told me I was too old...yet Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear I am in the company of my old age peers. lol At 50 I just took up the sport. I can't wait to get on the water each weekend and it's very cool to see progress every week, aka less face plants each time out. Just wish their were more opportunities to board in our area - Southern New Jersey. The best thing about the sport is that you can be as aggressive or passive as you want and it's still a great time.
FlatH20
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy that I stumbled upon this thread again - another year older and I can claim the TS complete with the 180's (sometimes) started throwing a few more pounds up front (ballast) not beer belly... and its working for me.... my youngest just started landing his tantrums - pretty sweet!! - but I'm jealous

FWIW - been spending some time with a few newbs on the boat - getting them up and going - always nice to see their faces when they land something or even stay up...

here in the pacific northwest the summer has been going since about the 4th of july - been out almost every day - and the gas budget is on life support....

tantrum tomorrow...
samowelsby

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as long you as you are able to do it, there is no age limit.
Squashed_Fly

City: Swindon, UK

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife keeps telling me I should grow up and act my age, stop throwing myself around like a child.

I'm only 31 and landed my first tantrum off the kicker this weekend. I will NOT be growing gracefully!

One bit of advice I would give though, is take some trampoline lessons. Bodies don't take so kindly to slamming the water the older you get so learning safely how to somersault and spot landings will make a universe of difference! If you get it wrong, even on a trampoline, you can do some serious damage - I had bad whiplash last year from not landing a front somersault properly on a trampoline. If you're not taking off and landing on exactly the same spot, you're not doing it properly!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: